Model Psw10 subwoofer Blows 2A SB fuse on power up.

Options
Main amplifier chip on heat sink smokes PN CZxx0731 can't read complete number because of crack and burn mark. I have a pic I can attach if needed.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Something within that unit had to have caused the chip to blow up like that, so it's not likely that the chip is the only issue within the plate amp or sub itself. If memory serves, this is an entry level sub Polk made a long time ago and these are generally referred to as "disposable" subs.

You do have a few options here -

Get a new plate amp (if the driver hasn't shorted or melted its windings).
    Repair and deal with the frustration of the current sub.
    Toss it and get a new sub.

My recommendation would be the last one and use this opportunity to upgrade the sub while you are at it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Cokey
    Cokey Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks, treitz3

So, the driver is the "transformer" correct? I could check the windings. Where would I buy a new plate amp...Is there a parts list somewhere? I see an entire amp unit is around $120. I agree it's a cheap product. What do you recommend for a replacement?
    Cokey
  • Cokey
    Cokey Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh, I think by the driver you mean the coil driver to the speaker...right? COKEY
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Get a new plate amp (if the driver hasn't shorted or melted its windings).
    He's referring to the driver(speakers) voice coil.

The transformer is the plate amps power supply.

Don't waste time fixing yours you're throwing away good money chasing a monkey.

The money you spend trying to fix could be a good deal of money going to a better product and newer technology.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Upgrade from the PSW10 and never look back.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Upgrade from the PSW10 and never look back.

This...
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.