Winter Jackets

2»

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Getting colder. Sounds like you can't go wrong with either LL Bean or North Face. It also sounds like LL Bean stands behind their product and that stands out to a lot of people so I'll probably start there.

6sx7c8ast34b.png
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Columbia, their jackets are thin but contain Omni heat and Omni tech. Basically think of your coat lined with tin foil to keep the heat in. We discovered these when looking for warm coats for the kids when they were young. Trying to put them in car seats with big puffy coats major pain.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    81 and sunny..................
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    I have been needing a new winter coat, and this thread got me to get out in the snow, and go to the only LL Bean store at Park Meadows Mall this morning, they have a lot of nice stuff, found an awesome new coat, a couple pairs of gloves, and the wife found a few items as well..

This forum has a way of spending my money…
  • Nightfall
    edited January 2022
    I'll be going to the same store soon.

How much was your coat? Let's see it.

• Nightfall
    edited January 2022
    That looks real nice 👍

Are you sweating it's so warm? Does it feel bulky getting in and out of the car

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    81 and sunny..................

Do you have a guest room available???
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    edited January 2022
    Nightfall wrote: »
    That looks real nice 👍

Are you sweating it's so warm? Does it feel bulky getting in and out of the car

In a car it might, in my truck, no, it is nice and warm, and that is what I was after..

And when I was clearing snow this morning, that even pushed me more to go look at LL Bean..
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    My go to single digit and below jacket is a LL Bean - I think it’s the mens commuter but they don’t have it.

Very similar to the Baxter state parka minus the hood.

I’m never cold when I’ve got that on!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Nightfall
    Siiick. Work is slow so I'm leaving early for once in my life. I'm going to go look now.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    My go to is the extreme weather Goose/Duck hunter section of Bass Pro. Too bulky for your use Josh.
    When I'm out in the cold except for my face usually I'm usually toasty warm. Taking the dog to the farm to run unless it's gale force winds, I usually am only about half zipped to shed heat and not sweat.

Of course you got to be able to rock some camouflage....

Either way Josh a good base layer helps a ton. Avoid cotton, find a good wicking material. One of our local stores has a nice display of the different weights and how they are pertaining to your activity.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    "Cotton is rotten" -- as they say.
    Old guy that I am, I am always amused by the fact that good ol' polyester got rescued from its disco-era purgatory and re-invigorated as a modern, technical fiber for... you know, modern technical kinds of people. :#
    Those same people are buyin' vinyls, too. They're not listenin' to 'em, but they're buyin' 'em.

• pitdogg2
    edited January 2022
    Yep that kind of stuff catches fire and really keeps you warm....
    I still have nightmares of the purple polyester pants my mom sent me to school in, in 1973. Those and blue corduroys because denim was far too expensive.
    I'm scared for life!
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,066
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yep that kind of stuff catches fire and really keeps you warm....
    I still have nightmares of the purple polyester pants my mom sent me to school in, in 1973. Those and blue corduroys because denim was far too expensive.
    I'm scared for life!

If you hadn't lied your pants would have not caught fire.
  • Nightfall
    I think 100% of my clothes are cotton & jean. 🤣

Do I need some different undershirts & socks maybe?

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2022
    Good lookin' jacket.
    Cotton is fine as long as it doesnt' get wet.
    And it's reasonably useless for blocking cold wind.
    The miracle fibers do work well, largely 'cause they're hydrophobic as all getout.

For serious cold weather -- I like silk undies.

Don't start with me! ;)

I'm serious.
    Silk leggings, undershirt, and glove and sock liners (when $#!t's gettin' real out there) are light and comfortable. I cannot do most kinds of wool against my skin -- I seem to have some of that allergy thing goin on' with "normal" wool, although merino wool and blends (like Smartwool socks) are OK.

As an aside: I like Smartwool socks, although my allegiance is tilting hard towards Vermont's Darn Tough Socks in the past few years.

• Nightfall
    https://darntough.com/

Yowzers, $25-30 each pair? I think I spend like $10-15 whatever it is for a giant pack of socks. Maybe I'll grab a pair or two and give them a go.

• mhardy6647
    Lifetime guarantee. Look at the page on the website for making claims -- they're not kidding.
    Most of the socks I buy since we've lived on the edge of the permafrost ;) are that kind of $. My feet get cold in the wintertime (even, sometimes, with good boots). Mrs. H & I did our perambulation in gooshy slush this morning. The air wasn't too cold -- but everything else was. And damp, too. :|
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Nice looking jacket Josh. Should help in those temps your having. Jacket looks well made/durable & should last. Stay warm
    Randy/Maine
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I didn't see anything at LL Bean that tickled my fancy unfortunately. They didn't have the insulated bomber hoodie & even the smallest Parka was below my knees on my midget frame. I can call myself that right? Never know what's offensive anymore. Dick's was right next door & I ended up with North Face, still not cheap so hopefully it lasts. Appreciate you guys. You sold Larry at least. 😉

kvdgrr4nc0u1.jpg

Truly is the best choice !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    My wife and I have Marmot 3/4 length down coats for the cold days.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2022
    I've been wearing LLBean Maine Warden parkas for the last 30 years. I'm on my second one now. The newer one has a removable liner so the coat itself can be worn several months of the year without being too hot. I got a Baxter State Parka too about four years ago and have only worn it twice when it was below 10 degrees outdoors. Even then it was too warm.

:)

The Warden parkas have always had zippers on the sides to access pockets or "gear" on a belt under the coat.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    So no one has a heated jacket here? Reason I ask is because I bought a pair of heated gloves to use when I snowblow. I'm still anxiously awaiting our first snowfall so I can pass judgement on them and was wondering if I should get the heated jacket to
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'll wear a heated vest on colder days with this Kuiu synthetic grid fleece mid-layer, and Chili Pepper underwear...I've got to be able to shoot my rifle or bow
    loede5i458b2.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    So no one has a heated jacket here? Reason I ask is because I bought a pair of heated gloves to use when I snowblow. I'm still anxiously awaiting our first snowfall so I can pass judgement on them and was wondering if I should get the heated jacket to

I had a Milwaukee at work that ran off batteries. Honestly it scared me, I thought for sure I was going to get cancer and due from all the grid work involved.
    😜😉😜
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Nothing still beats the tried and true naturals, wool and down.

Wool base layers and my favorite jacket is my Marmot Highlander down jacket. Crazy light, not bulky, packs down easy and warm.