Winter Jackets

What's good? Looking for something hopefully on the thinner side, not super poofy, premium quality, warm.

Just looked at Dicks and they had some North Face but 90% were XXL, XL, L.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    I buy LLBean fleece vest or jackets & they are perfect for me. I drive 12-15+ hours a day & I'm in in out of the truck & big jackets are just too bulky. They look kinda yuppie ish but man are they warm. LLBeans online & ships out of Freeport Maine. I've got pants & jackets that are near 40 years old & look new still. Good luck with search
    Randy/Maine
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Thanks for the direction

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    I second LLBean. Huge selection of winter apparel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    How do you guys feel about North Face versus LL Bean?

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Maybe check out Lands End....my last winter coat was from there 17 years ago before migrating south.
  • Nightfall
    edited December 2021
    Where can you buy LL Bean in person or is it only online

I'd rather see how it fits & feels in person

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,046
    When I first moved to WNY I discovered Carhartt chore coats.. I especially liked that it goes down lower on the back to keep the wind out.
    You may wish to look at them, depending on what "winter" is like in your neck of the woods.

https://www.carhartt.com/product/104392/relaxed-fit-washed-duck-sherpa-lined-jacket

no affiliation.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,993
    Move to Florida...if that won't work I gotta go with LL Bean also. Great build quality & they stand behind their gear.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    North Face, Solstice, Columbia Sportswear, Patagonia and Marmot are excellent choices for waterproof, windproof, breathable jackets that are very durable
    If waterproof isn't necessary I like Carhartt cotton duck jackets with wool liners.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    Nightfall wrote: »

They do have some B&M stores, check their website.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    LL Bean also has great customer service.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited December 2021
    How cold? Those light weight LL bean down ones are nice, but are not worth squat when the temps dip below zero, saw some nice ones reasonably priced at Costco not long ago.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Nightfall
    This is right now when we're not even really into winter.

u6wctwep06td.png

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,022
    edited December 2021
    F1nut wrote: »

They do have some B&M stores, check their website.

We've got one not 20 minutes from here, plus an EMS in the same little "mall" (for lack of a better word). I like EMS, although they're clinging by a thread to solvency. I also very much like REI. If you happen to have a local REI, check 'em out. The best thing about REI for me is I can go in and get good advice and suggestions for products I know nothing about (e.g., backpacking or camping gear), without being made to feel like a moron for NOT knowing anything about them. I've been an REI member for about 25 years now. :)

https://www.ems.com/
    https://www.rei.com/
  • Nightfall
    edited December 2021
    Hey we have one. I'll check it out on Tuesday. Thank you everyone. If I don't find something that I want I'll check out REI & Bass Pro Shop maybe.

• Nightfall
    Finally got a little break, looked through their site. I like the insulated bomber hoodie & Baxter State Parka, looks nice.

• audioluvr
    Forgot to mention REI. They have some non- name brand stuff that is pretty good. Not the same weight as the others but close
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    Remember what the Scandinavians say:
    There is no bad weather.
    Only bad clothing.
    :#

• audioluvr
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There is no bad weather.
    Only bad clothing.

And Minnesotans, North Dakotans, Alaskans...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,511
    Both LL Bean and Eddie Bauer have a very good selection of tall sizes, if that matters. Anyone remember the National Lampoon’s piece on the “Eddie Bean” catalog, with the extreme down parka that was reversible to a smoking jacket?
  • audioluvr
    edited December 2021
    There is no bad weather.
    Only bad clothing.

Actually, Doc, I totally agree. I like to say: "There are some things in life that you just don't skimp on".
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Nightfall
    maxward wrote: »
    Both LL Bean and Eddie Bauer have a very good selection of tall sizes, if that matters.

LOLOLOL 🤣

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    Finally got a little break, looked through their site. I like the insulated bomber hoodie & Baxter State Parka, looks nice.

8uh8p1b0p36v.jpg If you were to go to Baxter State Park you would be at Mt. Katahdin. I will be there next week if the weather is good. My son has camped out for 5 days up there. Crazy kid
    Randy/Maine
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Has anyone tried the battery heated jackets-coats such as the ones I've seen in home depot?
  • mhardy6647
    audioluvr wrote: »
    There is no bad weather.
    Only bad clothing.

And Minnesotans, North Dakotans, Alaskans...

many of whom are Scandinavians. :)
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Years ago when I lived near DC I bought a Pendleton wool coat that has served me well for over 30 years
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Really cold here e3heo970u1vg.png
    these days.
    Lots of great choices listed above.
    I recently discovered Mountain Hardwear. Items I have bought seem well made and comfortable and warm.
    Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    As a ex Minnesotan North Face ! Done
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!