The Arcam AVR30 has landed...

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
edited December 2021 in Electronics
I am still in the process of getting it set up, but it is immediately clear that the Arcam AVR30 is a game-changer in my rig. It will easily do the job of my Pass Labs X0.2, The DAC in the Arcam is also sounding better than the PS Audio... More to come as I play with this some more, but be on the lookout for some more stuff being listed in the flea market... :p
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    I know that Arcam is a pricey pre/pro but that’s surprising that it’ll compare favorably to that Pass pre if you’re talking purely 2 channel listening.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,907
    Options
    Seems you’re downsizing a little John, but trying to do so without compromising much in quality of sound. Nothing wrong with change. Have fun!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    You'd be surprised at just how good some of these high end pre pros can sound for 2 channel. Most have some higher quality parts/dacs in them and with an abundant amount of connections.

I've always suggested , on the cheap, some older SS high end pre pros make excellent 2 channel listening. Anthem AVM 20- Cary cinema 11 or 12, Classe, and a bunch others.

John, listen for a few weeks, then put the old stuff back in and see what ya see. Sometimes we construe the sound as "better" when it just may be "different". Regardless, comes down to what tickles your fancy. Good luck playing
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I know that Arcam is a pricey pre/pro but that’s surprising that it’ll compare favorably to that Pass pre if you’re talking purely 2 channel listening.

I would not have thought it possible before I tried it either, but the differences are extremely small. I think it comes down to there being fewer steps in the chain from source to speaker, and keeping things in the digital realm longer before going through a DAC. Also, the Arcam has 15 years of advances over the Pass, and the DAC section is ten years newer than the PS Audio.

The AVR30 takes two channel audio over HDMI from my computer without anything else in the signal path, and does the same for two channel coming from the Oppo.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Seems you’re downsizing a little John, but trying to do so without compromising much in quality of sound. Nothing wrong with change. Have fun!!

You are correct. I am trying to get rid of as much extra gear as possible while maintaining a very high level of performance. The Arcam takes an overcrowded system and reduces it down to just two boxes, plus my computer, and a spiderweb of cables down to just two HDMI runs and two power cables.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Options
    Funny you should mention a "spiderweb of cables". That is the single complaint, well main complaint, the wife has about higher end audio....alll the frickin' cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Yea, my wife hates the cables too.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    Congrats on the change John!

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Just curious John, what made you want to make this change anyway ? Just to shake things up or the old gear wasn't a good match for the new speakers ? New year new you and all that ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Just curious John, what made you want to make this change anyway ? Just to shake things up or the old gear wasn't a good match for the new speakers ? New year new you and all that ?

I have too much gear in my stack of stuff. Things were just getting way over complicated and cumbersome to use. The other benefit of making these changes is that I am able to put a large chunk of money away to pay off debt. After moving some of the gear that’s no longer needed, I will be in a better position to be able to get a new vehicle for my family. It’s also fun to be able to try new gear from time to time.

The L 800s also appear to like the change. I expected that would be the case because the L 800s are designed to be used in a Hi-Rez system.

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    ....and the Arcam experiment is dead. It lost communication with the DSP board, which in turn, feeds the HDMI pathways. Basically it is a brick, and Best Buy will not replace it with a new one.

Back to the drawing boards. :'(

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Time to get a full refund and try something else. Sorry bro.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    What WILL Best Buy do?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    What WILL Best Buy do?

Send it back to Arcam, and I can wait three months...

• Clipdat
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Ridiculous. More like WorstBuy.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Time to get a full refund and try something else. Sorry bro.

I am more than a bit bummed out by this. The Arcam was doing an exceptional job as a two channel pre when it went down. I had not been able to run Dirac yet, and I think that is where it would have really pulled ahead for both HT and two channel use.

• Clipdat
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Is there an equivalent product from a competing manufacturer? Anthem? Rotel? JBL Synthesis?

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Return & re-buy? Or did you get it at an exceptional price?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Return & re-buy? Or did you get it at an exceptional price?
    $2600.00 off

• nooshinjohn
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Is there an equivalent product from a competing manufacturer? Anthem? Rotel? JBL Synthesis?

The JBL Synthesis is the same thing with an added Dirac sub management program, and a 9k retail price... Rotel is an option but is not quite there with two channel.

• tonyb
    Options
    Call Arcam direct, see if they can swap it out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,907
    Options
    Sorry to hear that John, take Tony’s advice, call them direct..
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

Arcam CS only operates through Email, unless I want to call the UK on my dime for a company that is headquartered 10 miles from me...

Best Buy's solution was to give me their functioning store demo for now, so I am back up and running. Everything is working like it should.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options

Arcam CS only operates through Email, unless I want to call the UK on my dime for a company that is headquartered 10 miles from me...

Best Buy's solution was to give me their functioning store demo for now, so I am back up and running. Everything is working like it should.

I called and talked to arcam CS with no charge fwiw…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I called and talked to arcam CS with no charge fwiw…
    I will look for their number...

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Arcam reliability has always been a problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    The L 800s also appear to like the change. I expected that would be the case because the L 800s are designed to be used in a Hi-Rez system.

Sorry John, but LOL.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Sorry John, but LOL.

No offense taken Jesse... the Arcam is sounding better than the Pass Labs right now., and I have yet to run Dirac. I am leaning towards getting the extended warranty from Best Buy, because at least then my investment will be protected at replacement value for 5 years, rather than waiting on factory repairs.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    If the extended warranty is a standard Best Buy Geek Squad one they may not really do anything for repairs other than sending it for a factory repair as long as the 5 year factory warranty is in place from Arcam. Their warranties are supplemental insurance coverage for things like power surges.

I used to get their four year extended warranties for big screen TVs that only had a one or two year factory warranty. Worked out well for me a couple times!
  • tonyb
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Arcam reliability has always been a problem.

yep, and has kept me away from buying even used gear from them. Things could change though, one hopes, but Johns experience says otherwise.

Best buy sucks, and I'm being nice. If they go out of business tomorrow nobody would shed a tear. I just went through a whole thing with them over a new TV . I got my coin back though, even though it wasn't their policy to do so.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    So far, the Arcam continues to impress, and as a side benefit, I have managed to remove a huge portion of my cabling that no longer serves any purpose.