Help wanted to find a suitable transformer for RT1000i Subwoofer Amplifier

Options
Hey all,

I had a transformer die on one of my RT1000i towers. There are no model numbers printed on the transformer. I know the transformer steps 115V down to 40V with a center tap. I don't know what the amperage the replacement transformer should be rated for. I believe the bottleneck for this amplifier board is the LM1875 chip which is rated for 25W.

I've already spoken with Polk CS a couple of times. They have yet to email me an update.

Any help would be appreciated.
Life is too short to be indirect.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Maybe this will help.
    kj5bauhks84n.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Outta_Ctrl
    Options
    Thanks F1nut. I have looked up the sticker on top to no avail. Underneath the brass-colored casing which holds the transformer to the plate, there is a small piece of paper but no visible writing on it. I'll give CS another call.
  • Outta_Ctrl
    Options
    Here's another way of thinking about it. The limit of this board is the LM1875 rated for 25W and the two large caps are rated for 25V apiece. Power = Current * Voltage; therefore with 25W of power and 25V max, the circuit should draw only 1A of power from the transformer at peak. If I am thinking about this the wrong way and the voltage I should be thinking about is really 40V or 50V, then it will require roughly half as much current. So I should be safe with a transformer rated for 1A.

CS told me to go call Midwest Speaker Repair.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    You could probably buy a whole nother speaker for 100 bucks, grab one out of there . Just sayin'...sometimes easier than chasing down old parts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable