Possible Scam Attempt

Options
:
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 14:56:57 -0500
Subject: Re: [Polk Audio Forum] Alfee01 sent you a message in Polk Audio TSi100
Hi...fyi..I posted a wtb yesterday and the same day Alfee01 messages me and tells me to email a different person who has tsi100 speakers for sale..then this person, the presumed seller says he can ship the speakers to me and accepts my offer..asks for payment via zelle but tells me to send to a different person and email address from his and wants a screenshot of my account transfer info..says this is due to his bank account being messed up or something..seemed like a scam and I declined the purchase..don't know for sure if Alfee01 is involved but he is listed in the forum..anyway, thought I would let the administrator know.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    RUN!!!
    No honest member here would do that.
  • bored184
    bored184 Posts: 324
    Options
    I got something very similar but about SDAs. Told me he knew a guy and Seattle WA with SDAs for sale. I emailed his friend but and got some photos but that as far as I have gone.
    Speakers: TL Monitor 10s, RTA 11TLs, Fortes, Thiel CS 1.2
    Amplifiers: ]Ashly FTX 2001 III, Dynaco ST-70, DIY F6
    Pre: Adcom GFP 750, Aikido Tube Pre
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Although this was a WTB ad, now you can start to understand why we have the 100 post FS rule.
    I wish we could go back in time to where if you didn't have 100 posts you couldn't see the FS or WTB threads.
    That would be very beneficial, if the scammers can't see they can't scam.

By 100 post you can have a pretty good idea who you're dealing with and choose to proceed or ignore.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    edited December 2021
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You cannot see this post because pitdogg2 is on your ignore list.

:p:p:p;)

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bored184
    Options
    Although this was a WTB ad, now you can start to understand why we have the 100 post FS rule.
    I wish we could go back in time to where if you didn't have 100 posts you couldn't see the FS or WTB threads.

By 100 post you can have a pretty good idea who you're dealing with and choose to proceed or ignore.

I wish we could go back to the time when you actually had to purchase and own a Polk product before gaining access to the Forum.

I don't mean to get the this thread off topic but I kind of like that idea. It will take me a good while before I reach 100 posts. Most of my questions I have been able to answer by doing some digging in past posts.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    bored184 wrote: »

I wish we could go back to the time when you actually had to purchase and own a Polk product before gaining access to the Forum.

I don't mean to get the this thread off topic but I kind of like that idea. It will take me a good while before I reach 100 posts. Most of my questions I have been able to answer by doing some digging in past posts.

Say what? You have over 200 post's
  • bored184
    Options
    bored184 wrote: »

Say what? You have over 200 post's

You are right! I was thinking discussions, not comments. I started cutting back on my caffeine intake today. Maybe I should go back to my normal amount, haha.
  • Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    Options
    I totally understand the 100 post rule. Unfortunately, this is only my 43rd post since 2017.
    I do own Polk speakers, the RTi-A7s bought during a friends and family sale, and several pair of vintage Polk speakers. I guess that and $6 will buy me a cup of coffee.

To the OP, yea, it's a scam. Unfortunately, the human mind is capable of infinite creativity and not always for the good side.
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago in response to my WTB ad. It included someone's gmail address. I never did reply or send an email, because it just seemed fishy at the time. I checked today, and that user who PM'd me is banned, so I guess my intuition was right.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    BeefJerky wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago in response to my WTB ad. It included someone's gmail address. I never did reply or send an email, because it just seemed fishy at the time. I checked today, and that user who PM'd me is banned, so I guess my intuition was right.

We send those to mods to ban. That way they cannot keep preying on members.
  • BeefJerky
    Options
    So, how exactly do we report these scam PMs? I just got another one from a new member "mikecollins2022." I can't find a way to report either the PM or the member.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    Options
    I just got this..

k6xzc03u1aj4.jpeg

You mean I sent my money to a scammer? Well hell.. 🤣
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Lets track him down and beatTHEcrap out of him
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    So did you get a good deal? 🤦🏻‍♂️

This is happening far too often.😡
  • vader540is
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I just got this..

k6xzc03u1aj4.jpeg

You mean I sent my money to a scammer? Well hell.. 🤣

Dude messaged me as well. y179x1lwqgby.png
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    @CarlJacobson_POLK
    Time to bring down the hammer of Thor!
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 817
    Options
    Me three....

FYI. I've received a couple PM's from zero-post, new members directing me to an email of someone who has an RT3000p for sale. New "members" are 'aaron98' and 'mikecollins2022.'

Obvious scammers.... be careful Polkies. The '100 posts to sell' rule is there for a good reason.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Justice has been served:
    76pkabzvk3le.png
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @Aaron98
    Did you see this one?
    I didn't see one unless rtart had it wrong. I see a aaron987
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    Options
    He just sent me a PM about a "good deal on blade blade cable"
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    warlocks1 wrote: »
    He just sent me a PM about a "good deal on blade blade cable"

Who?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I talked to him, he said he was out to make a man suit out of real human skin...

It puts the lotion on the skin!!!!

tyqrp11ep7dy.png
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    I made one for that a couple years back.

fqunsvviqd9g.jpg
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    Options
    mikecollins2022 sent me a PM. I didn't reply
  • BeefJerky
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I just got one from "roland01"

It would sure be lovely if there was any easy way to report these scam attempts.

EDIT: I should also note that this one didn't even try; they didn't even bother mentioning what they have in the text, but just wrote this:
    "Hello here, you can reach out to me, I have what you looking for, you can get in touch with me here if you’re interested.
    Rolandjimmy01@gmail.com"
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    He is obviously very optimistic about satisfying you
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    What ever happened to needing a certain number of post before you could PM a member?