How much are my polk speakers from 1977 worth?

Options
We have always had them and they work great. Slight west and tear on the fabric panel. We believe they’re quite valuable but not sure what the market will want. Series 7 22821. Thank you! Jill

Best Answer

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    riverube wrote: »
    We have always had them and they work great. Slight west and tear on the fabric panel. We believe they’re quite valuable but not sure what the market will want. Series 7 22821. Thank you! Jill

Unfortunately, they're not valuable in monetary terms since so many of that general model designation were produced over the course of 15+ years. If they're in great condition probably a couple hundred dollars at most. The grille fabric could be replaced and I assume they have real wood veneer on the cabinets.

But, they'll perform better than any $200 pair of new speakers available now if the components on the crossovers are refreshed.

I would add that they need to be in great condition plus have peerless tweeters, otherwise they are worth even less. From my limited experience those other tweeters are painful! But I agree - the 5s and 7s are great speakers for the money on the used market!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Answers

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Welcome to club Polk. Some pictures of the speakers would be helpful to determine what you have and a value.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Mine were purchased in 1979. 7B 19xxx, which would put them before yours unless they started over with the serials when they went from 7A to 7B, which they very likely did but I'm not sure.

How much are they worth? Not very much unfortunately and not nearly as much as they should be. When fully modified you would never want to part with them.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited November 2021
    Options

Unfortunately, they're not valuable in monetary terms since so many of that general model designation were produced over the course of 15+ years. If they're in great condition probably a couple hundred dollars at most. The grille fabric could be replaced and I assume they have real wood veneer on the cabinets.

But, they'll perform better than any $200 pair of new speakers available now if the components on the crossovers are refreshed.
  • riverube
    Options
    How do I add pictures to my original post?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    After one hour you can't. Make a new post.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If you have the original Kenner certificate that kids got for Christmas promising them a set of Star Wars action figures when they finally came available, then you would have something valuable. Polk speakers from 1977... not so much.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    If signed by Matt Polk, then they'd fetch bank.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • rooftop59
    Options

No editing after an hour: just add them in the thread.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options

qi9ca530sohl.png
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Hit ^^^^ that anytime you want to add a picture to a post Jill.
    Randy/Maine
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    1977.....hazard a guess they are 7a's. Tweeter with a dimple and the grills attach with a velcro kinda attachment.

Nice speakers.....unfortunately not worth a ton of cash but they are definitely good speakers.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • riverube
    Options
    What are your ideas for where to sell? Already on eBay and Craigslist is there a buy and sell forum for Polk fans or other folks that love vintage audio components?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    You need 100 posts to sell here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    ebay is crazy, people trying to get $5-800 for Monitor 7s + $1-200 shipping. Good luck with that.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    What are your ideas for where to sell? Already on eBay and Craigslist is there a buy and sell forum for Polk fans or other folks that love vintage audio components?

I've donated speakers like that before to charities. Someone gets nice speakers and I get a tax write off and a closet with less stuff in it.

Win-win. :)
  • Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Fortunately for the OP, there are people on CL and elsewhere, FB marketplace, LetGo, who will snap up under $200 Monitor 7 speakers. The stands are worth at least $50 and $75 to an aficionado. You won't get rich but saving them from the landfill is a bonus. Many of us put stupid money into them and keep them.

I agree the FleaBay asking prices are too high by a bunch.
  • riverube
    Options
    I found a buyer who will pay 225+50 for holding it while she’s out of town! I started getting lots of interest when I brought the starting price down so I figured I’d just snap it up while It was on offer
  • F1nut
    Options
    Will pay and paid are two very different things.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    Options
    I found a buyer who will pay 225+50 for holding it while she’s out of town! I started getting lots of interest when I brought the starting price down so I figured I’d just snap it up while It was on offer

If you get it that’s great! But it doesn’t matter till the cash is in hand as @F1nut alludes…
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options

If this is on fb marketplace then seller beware. Prepare for a lot of let downs from the cheap skates, email harvesters and no shows out there. Having tried to move a couple pair of speakers during the last month my guess is the person that wants you to hold them will be a no show. Good luck to you and hopefully you don't get tortured like I just did.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Flakeslist! If you hold your item for me I will gladly pay you double when the movers come pick up! I will send cashiers check for 2 Sousand dahlias and you keep a little extra for u troubles 😂😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Hope that it works out for you.....but, I wouldn't hold anything. Cash is king.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    Options
    engined
    Says it all.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    You sound constipated.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    Easiest way to remind the wealthy type where they stand is to show them your DD214 & ask them for theirs. 😉
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    I think we have learned the identity of Captain Halfass....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    "we" ). Balless on your own

vbhvegjdibht.jpg