PSW505 won't work

Options
DesertPilot
DesertPilot Posts: 57
edited June 2004 in Troubleshooting
I recently purchased from Crutchfield a polk speaker system, (CSi5, 4 RTi6, and a PSW505 sub).

The PSW505 does not work (brand new, out of the box). The red light on the back switches to green when a signal is present. However, there is absolutely no sound. I tried all the troubleshooting tips from Crutchfield. Still no sound...no hiss...nothing at all.

Crutchfield will replace it...but it's been on back order for 3 weeks. Now they've extended the back order another 3 weeks (to July). WOW. I can't wait anymore. What can I do?

One option is a local repair shop. But, maybe it's something simple we have not thought of. Polk? any ideas?
LSi9 + LSiC + LSiFx
dual PSW 505
Integra DHC 80.2 Pre-Amp
Outlaw 755 Amp
OPPO BDP-93 universal player
BENQ W6000 Projector
Da-Lite120 inch diag screen.
BlueJeans Cables all around.
Post edited by DesertPilot on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Ken Swauger will fix you up. He'll send you the parts you need instead of waiting for a new unit. Mean while, check the fuse and double check that a different sub works on the same cable.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Is the woofer plugged up?

Light turns on, no sound --- sounds like they forgot to plug up the woofer.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2004
    Options
    how do you have everything hooked up?
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2004
    Options
    One of Ken S.'s recommendations is to hook the analog outputs from a cd or dvd player directly to the left/right inputs on the subwoofer, turn the volume down, play a cd with bass and then slowly turn the volume up. You should get nice clean bass. If you do, it's something else in your setup. If you don't, the amp is defective.
  • DesertPilot
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yes. The sub is plugged in (remember, the red light on the back panel is lit and turns green when a sound source begins sending a signal to the sub).

I originally connected the sub using a sub cable to the sub out on my receiver. No sound.

I think used the following troubleshooting techniques:

1) confirm a sound source is playing through the "tape monitor" out. Plus tape monitor out to the sub. No sound.

2) after looking at the instruction manual, I disconnected the left speaker cable (which was working to the left speaker) and wired it to the left speaker terminal of the sub. No sound.

3) the curious piece of information is that in all configurations, with the green light on the back of the sub confirming that a signal is being received at the sub, there is no sound. No hiss (present in other speakers), no sound at all. Just dead quiet. This leads me to believe that the signal is not making it through the amplifier.

4) I saw the note on the fuse...but with the light on the back panel working...I dismissed the fuse as the culprit. However, it's worth a look...provided I do not in any way screw up my chance at getting a replacement from Crutchfield (when one ever shows up).

thanks! Mark
    LSi9 + LSiC + LSiFx
    dual PSW 505
    Integra DHC 80.2 Pre-Amp
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    BENQ W6000 Projector
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by DesertPilot
    Yes. The sub is plugged in (remember, the red light on the back panel is lit and turns green when a sound source begins sending a signal to the sub).

They are talking about internally. One of the speaker wires for the sub may be disconnected inside the box. You could remove the 16 or so screws from the plate amp and take a look.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • DesertPilot
    edited June 2004
    Options
    ah ha!

Turns out a wire came off the speaker. Polk walked me through getting it back on (not as easy as you might think if you look inside a subwoofer cabinet).

Thanks everyone. It's working now.

Mark
    LSi9 + LSiC + LSiFx
    dual PSW 505
    Integra DHC 80.2 Pre-Amp
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    BENQ W6000 Projector
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Is the woofer plugged up?

Light turns on, no sound --- sounds like they forgot to plug up the woofer.
    In retrospect, a very astute comment Sid...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Glad to see it worked out for ya.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.