Is my hearing getting better as I get older

Options
Not too long ago I used to blast the stereo, and one night I broke two Magico S5 speakers while playing the stereo in excess of 110 dB. I was trying to find out when the speakers would start distorting. Now when I play the stereo loud it is only in the 80-90 dB range, sounds great, and is more than loud enough. I thought as one gets older their hearing deteriorates, but enjoying music at a lower volume seems to be a hearing improvement. Not complaining. Just curious. At least the lower volume saves money on speaker repair. :)
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Options
    My normal listening level is 65 decibels and sometimes that seems too loud.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Improved hearing with age, I think, is very unlikely, as the effect of damage caused by exposure to loud noise is cumulative* and permanent.
    That would be my guess as to why @BlueFox is happy with lower SPLs now as he was in the past. I certanly have paid that price (although I never worked in noisy environments, nor, except for a handful of concerts and clubs, have I suffered much deliberate exposure to really loud music).

rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    No, it’s not.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    Options
    I picked up an SPL meter a couple of years ago. It's a handy little tool for various things like levels tuning and troubleshooting. Sometimes I just use it to check what's going on. I had no idea what levels I was listening at before.

I've found that my usual comfortable listening range is in the 70s.

For louder levels sometimes, it's in the upper-70s through the mid-80s, and to upper-80s maybe low 90s on spikes. Anything consistently louder than that isn't sustainable for me.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    Options
    I usually hang out at 85 to 90db 😜🚀
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I’m turning 71 in a month. I worked summers at my dad’s custom kitchen cabinet shop through college. Hearing protection was unheard of then. Nonetheless, I’m hearing fine while my wife and several friends use hearing aids. I have Decibel X on my phone and at my normal levels the average is mid 70s and “peaks” are barely 80. This thread prompted me to try it at what I consider loud and peaks were 87.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    80dB to 85dB is comfortable for me and what I call involving. Anything above that just doesn't seem to be as musical. Anything below is more like boring background music.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    Options
    Great descriptors of the general character.
    I disabled signatures.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Not too long ago I used to blast the stereo, and one night I broke two Magico S5 speakers while playing the stereo in excess of 110 dB. I was trying to find out when the speakers would start distorting.

I think hearing might be the least of your problems!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    HUH
    Randy/Maine
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Generalissimo Francisco Franco...
    IS STILL DEAD.

https://youtu.be/BjRqj_STFFM
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Take the test!

How Old is Your Hearing? - Interactive Test for Your Ears

https://youtu.be/iN3PBpInNJM

Years of loud music, playing the drums, working on the phone all day, wife screaming at me have caught up with me. I've got 37 years old ears. Could not hear until 14, 937 Hz... :o I'm 55!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    jeesh I've got the ears of a 12yo....
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I got between 10 and 12 . Left ear is slightly less sensitive. Right ear was 10-11, left ear was 11-12. I started hearing clicking first and then the gurgle-ish sound came in at about 19,250 Hz.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,931
    Options
    I’ve listened at “reference level” before (75dB), but it was as loud as I’d ever want to go. AFAIK, hearing loss is permanent, and cannot be repaired. You can only amplify what’s left.

I’m usually careful now, and never drove at freeway speeds with the window down (a frequent source of hearing loss), but I did use things like chainsaws & lawnmowers as a teenager, sometimes without protection, sadly.
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I would have been more accurate if I had said 80-85 dB instead of 80-90 dB for listening to loud music. The overall majority of the time the ‘loud’ music is in the upper 70s. Maybe occasionally in the low 80s.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Tested 73 years old w/o hearing aids. Too much loud music, loud cars, motorcycles and r/c cars when I was young.

I had some background noise from the fans in my desktop computer so that probably affected my hearing the test tones.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Options
    Nope
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Kex
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I would have been more accurate if I had said 80-85 dB instead of 80-90 dB for listening to loud music. The overall majority of the time the ‘loud’ music is in the upper 70s. Maybe occasionally in the low 80s.
    There’s also dB-A vs. dB-C. They’re not the same. C-weighted measurements will always give a higher rating, but A-weighted measurements should be used to determine acceptable levels of exposure & duration.

m533rfo3uyml.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    I’m quite confident that I don’t exceed 👆 those 👆 levels…

… at least, not since the chainsaws, lawnmowers, and other random machinery used without protection during my teenage years. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!