A Polk L600 and L400 Review

Options
Milito
Milito Posts: 1,914

First things first, I don’t consider myself an audiophile like some of you here as I don’t have the knowledge many do and don’t know all of the terms they use to describe what they are hearing. However I do know what I like in speakers and I am impressed with my new L600 and L400 speakers. I’ve had them for about 4 weeks and they keep sounding better every day. I’m also not sure they are fully broken in yet.

In comparison to my previous Polk LSiM 705’s and 704c speakers.

There is a big improvement in bass compared to the 705’s. I don't think I'll miss the sub that I used with the LSiM’s. They needed a sub to sound the best. The improved mid range has a fuller, more enjoyable sound. Moving on, the tweeter is a big improvement. It sounds clearer and more natural sounding especially with female voices. I always felt the tweeter was a weakness on the 705’s and 704c. I’ve heard sounds with the tweeters I didn’t hear on the LSiM’s. They also have better imaging and the sound stage is wider and the speakers just fill the den and the kitchen area (which is next to the den) with sound much better than the LSiM’s. I always thought they were straining some in our new house and not giving me the full sound I wanted. These speakers are just more enjoyable to listen to when listening to music, I feel more involved with the music. They also sound great watching movies. Nice quality speakers, well built.

I also bought a L400 center channel and the voices are much clearer with this tweeter compared to the LSiM 704 center. I’m an old guy and it’s easier to understand voices when I’m watching TV. My wife says the same about the L400 when watching TV.
Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Thanks Milito, glad to hear about the "natural sound" and the tweeter improvement.
    I spent quite a bit of time around the 705's since their debut. At the time thought it was one of Polk's better speakers, and still do. The fact is I'm really not a fan of ring radiator tweets, even in high end speakers. I'm more of a soft dome like Morel, Dyn's Esotar, etc. kinda a guy.

I too, purchased the Legend 600/400/100/900 (Thanks Polk & @CarlJacobson_POLK ) to revamp my HT, along with a pair of SVS4000's.
    Still waiting on my cabinets and pre-pro...so is the wife, she's tired of looking at the mound of boxes. :p

Congrats on your speakers, enjoyment, and ty for giving us some insight.

--Ron

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Same as my impressions too. The Legend speakers still definitely sound like a Polk product but it's like everything is better focused and tighter in the low and high frequencies. Midrange is similar to me.

To me these speakers are more in line sound signature wise with more recent "entry" to mid level Focal speakers which is a good thing.
  • Milito
    Options
    Look forward to your review Ron.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying these! If, at the time, Polk would have offered the "offer" at the time I was ready to purchase new speakers I would have bought these. I'm super happy with the R600's though!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Great review. I had the 705 and to be honest, I liked my LSI9's better. It sounds like they made a very nice improvement where it needed over the 705's.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Milito
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Well I've tried to post my review on the Polk site, but it said my password is wrong and when I send in a new request for a new password I get no response. They need to get their act together. I have tried several times.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I'm pretty jazzed to hear the Legend series. I thought the LSiM's were pretty darn good so I'm really interested in hearing what Polk has come up with....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut