Anyone Into SACD?

Options
Thinking about getting into this.

Would appreciate album recommendations to start off on the right foot.
CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Yes. Done right and it's REALLY good....but, like anything else, what you get out of it reflects what you put in to it.

On the software side......depends on what you like to listen to. Diana Krall has a lot of albums on SACD that are stellar....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,333
    Options
    You need an SACD player to play them. They will not play on a CDP. Even the hybrid SACD's. Yes, the hybrid CD's will play but what you are listening to is the CD layer, not the SACD layer. If you already knew this, my apologies as I am not familiar with your audio background.

DSOTM is a solid choice as well as DK (mentioned above). James Taylor's Hourglass, Godsmack's The Other Side and World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings are all great SACD's to start you out. The last one is what led me to SACD to begin with.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Been into it from the start. Like most formats there are stellar and not so good. What you play them on also matters, a lot.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Here's a source...but they aren't cheap:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/c/4/SACD

As you'll see, a lot of SACDs are jazz, classical, or classic rock. The first Dire Straits album is good on SACD to my ears, but I ordered straight from Japan and paid less than half the import price...

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/71077/Dire_Straits-Dire_Straits-SHM_Single_Layer_SACDs
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    A couple great SQ SACD’s for starters: Norah Jones Come Away With Me. Mark Knopfler Shangri-La. As Jesse said, get a top-shelf SACD player. It can sound heavenly.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Elton John's are very reasonable, and very good.
    Peter Gabriel is another
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Agree the player is critical. When SACD first came out I tried using a sub $200 Sony carousel changer because I already had it and the SACD of Dave Brubeck’s Time Out sounded substantially worse than the CD version when I played it back on an expensive ($2K MSRP) Toshiba DVD player that decoded the HDCD encoded content on some CDs, which the Time Out CD was even though the printed materials didn’t say so. When I finally got a good quality universal Denon DVD player I found out what SACD was really supposed to sound like. I haven’t gone too far with SACD player upgrades since then but did stop upgrading when I got a Marantz SA8002 several years ago. That’s a good one.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I got bit by the SACD bug after joining CP. Thanks fellow Polkies! :smile:

3 Players later, I finally landed on a McIntosh MCD301 and loving it!

My struggle is finding SACD's in the genre I like mostly (70s/80s rock), as most of em are OOP. So you pay a lot for the remaining stock. Example: Boston's debut album in SACD is selling today for well over a hundred bucks!

Still, well worth the effort if you dive in!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Yes. Done right and it's REALLY good....but, like anything else, what you get out of it reflects what you put in to it.

On the software side......depends on what you like to listen to. Diana Krall has a lot of albums on SACD that are stellar....

Can you elaborate (in the positive) how you define “done right” for SACD?

I’m good at following orders. 😁

Thanks for the recommendation also!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You need an SACD player to play them. They will not play on a CDP. Even the hybrid SACD's. Yes, the hybrid CD's will play but what you are listening to is the CD layer, not the SACD layer. If you already knew this, my apologies as I am not familiar with your audio background.

DSOTM is a solid choice as well as DK (mentioned above). James Taylor's Hourglass, Godsmack's The Other Side and World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings are all great SACD's to start you out. The last one is what led me to SACD to begin with.

Tom

I currently have two Sony Blu-ray players (BDP-BX58 and BDP-S380), both of which I think require HDMI for SACD output of DSD. They look like the same player, tbh.

Also currently have a Denon DVD-1940CI. Should be able to use typical rca connections on this one.

Very entry-level spinners.

Nice variety of suggestions!

• jbreezy5
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Been into it from the start. Like most formats there are stellar and not so good. What you play them on also matters, a lot.

What are some that you would suggest?

• Emlyn
    Options
    Another option is to look for digital downloads available in DSD format directly and play those back through a DSD capable DAC. For example, the Boston album is available in DSD 64 format through HDTracks:

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/5e16f29695ad4845eaed43ec

192/24 or 96/24 WAV or FLAC download files can also sound excellent, especially when played back through a player with a DAC that samples everything to DSD before outputting analog.

Given the pricing of physical SACD media these days, I'd suggest seriously thinking about going the digital download route for price and selection. And this is coming from someone with a few hundred SACDs. The thing is I never paid more than around $20 or less for one. I stopped buying them when the prices hit $30 and up.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I should sell/karma my Sony 5400ES SACD player since I rarely use it anymore. I don’t think I have turned it on in over a year.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    It seems like I remember hearing about some players keeping the signal in native DSD vs. switching to PCM.

How can one tell if this is happening or not?

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Ok I recently dove down this "rabbit hole" when I purchased several SACDs from Dave. My disk spinner is a Pioneer DV-563A, and it's hooked up to the pre via the optical out.

My first impressions while the player was in CD mode was that those were the BEST sounding CDs I've ever listened to. I've had the unit for over a decade and only used it's optical out so I'm very familiar with its sound. The background was dead silent and the headroom I had to play with was unkanning. I don't remember a CD that I could turn up as loud and it not distort!

Then I was pumped. Couldn't wait to have a listen in SACD mode... Big moment here. I pushed play and silence. The number counters were changing but there wasn't any sound. SMH. So I hooked up a small TV so that I could go through the menus and couldn't find anything like SACD on/off. So I searched the far ends of the interwebs and found a pdf manual for the spinner. and found this!!

qyxq7s4jotlp.png

So I'm like W T H? Now I'm thinking I'ma have to listen to a whole lot of familiar CDs with the player hooked up the analog way to RE-familiarize myself with it's sound before evaluating the SACDs?

What would you guys and gals do?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Just listen to the SACD.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Just listen to the SACD.

I will tomorrow morning after I hook up the player the analog way just to see if it works the way it should. Then probably head to bed. I'll give it a proper listen this weekend when I'm off.

My question is: If hooked up the analog way would I not be taking advantage of being able to notice the different sample rates from disk to disk?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    So whichever device sends an analog signal out is the DAC being used but like others have said (and your SACD players manual) to take advantage of full SACD quality you MUST use THAT devices DAC. Otherwise you are not playing a SACD just a CD.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So whichever device sends an analog signal out is the DAC being used but like others have said (and your SACD players manual) to take advantage of full SACD quality you MUST use THAT devices DAC. Otherwise you are not playing a SACD just a CD.

Okay so let the Pioneer do the digital conversion (witch craft :D ) while sending the signal out as analog and trust that I'm hear the highest quality the gear can preform?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Optical sucks. Analog is king.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HzTweaker
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Optical sucks. Analog is king.

But what if I want the little light next to DSD be on while I'm listing to SACDs? LOL JKING. I don't have anything like that currently in my system. :#B)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    Ok I recently dove down this "rabbit hole" when I purchased several SACDs from Dave. My disk spinner is a Pioneer DV-563A, and it's hooked up to the pre via the optical out.

My first impressions while the player was in CD mode was that those were the BEST sounding CDs I've ever listened to. I've had the unit for over a decade and only used it's optical out so I'm very familiar with its sound. The background was dead silent and the headroom I had to play with was unkanning. I don't remember a CD that I could turn up as loud and it not distort!

Then I was pumped. Couldn't wait to have a listen in SACD mode... Big moment here. I pushed play and silence. The number counters were changing but there wasn't any sound. SMH. So I hooked up a small TV so that I could go through the menus and couldn't find anything like SACD on/off. So I searched the far ends of the interwebs and found a pdf manual for the spinner. and found this!!

qyxq7s4jotlp.png

So I'm like W T H? Now I'm thinking I'ma have to listen to a whole lot of familiar CDs with the player hooked up the analog way to RE-familiarize myself with it's sound before evaluating the SACDs?

What would you guys and gals do?

Sounds like you were listening to the Redbook layer of the SACDs, not the DSD layer.
  • HzTweaker
    Options

Clipdat wrote: »

Sounds like you were listening to the Redbook layer of the SACDs, not the DSD layer.

Redbook?! Now I have something else to google. :D Just messing. I already did on my lunch break. Now I'm wondering if the Redbook while hooked up with the optical will sound better than the DSD through the analog? I guess there's no way of knowing till I try.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    DSD is the hi-res format, so Redbook CD should not sound better than DSD.

That will come down to the quality of the production/mixing in either format.

• Emlyn
    Options
    DSD tracks will transmit from a Blu Ray player over HDMI to relatively recent receivers or home theater processors. I think Marantz calls their version DSD Direct. Sounds pretty good even with generic HDMI cables. But, analog straight out still rules with dedicated SACD players. And with older gear it's really the only option because DSD is not supported across Toslink or Digital Coaxial connections.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    I think DSD 64 will only work in DOP over a SPDIF
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

I may be way wrong as I do not stream ANYTHING, I was under the impression bitstream or whatever size was too big for sony philip digital interface (SPDIF). My thought process is that you cannot send newer dolby, DTS codac's over fiber it must be HDMI ...
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I may be way wrong as I do not stream ANYTHING, I was under the impression bitstream or whatever size was too big for sony philip digital interface (SPDIF). My thought process is that you cannot send newer dolby, DTS codac's over fiber it must be HDMI ...

If your sacd player has HDMI output you can send the DSD signal out to a converter like the D-bob and use a SPDIF input on your dac, your dac should see DSD.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

If your sacd player has HDMI output you can send the DSD signal out to a converter like the D-bob and use a SPDIF input on your dac, your dac should see DSD.

^^^^^^^^
    Thanks!

• HzTweaker
    Options
    I'm going to try very hard to NOT look up new players tonight! :D