Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    That's not really a play pen is it. I'm betting some kind of sex chamber

j4psm6mkxodx.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    For Trey maybe....not the little one. That's just silly talk. Come on guys, get with the program....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited September 2021
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Thanks Troy!

He had the 2nd gen, my wallet is no where close to extending that far, my wife would also kill me.

These are the first Gen from 98

so long as you keep your promise to leave all your audio possessions to me in your will, I see that as a win-win! :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Those are DEAD sexy, Sid! Good on ya!!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    That's not really a play pen is it. I'm betting some kind of sex chamber

50 Shades of Grey
    72 Shades of Crayola

B)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Thanks Troy!

He had the 2nd gen, my wallet is no where close to extending that far, my wife would also kill me.

These are the first Gen from 98

so long as you keep your promise to leave all your audio possessions to me in your will, I see that as a win-win! :p
    No, since he helped me with my Mezzo Utopias, I inherit the Grandes B) I feel like I'm ordering at Starbucks.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I'm just seeing this thread. Wow :o I guess those bass enclosures don't need the port like the Mezzos.
    Congrats, Trey! Better make some bigger felt diffraction rings now :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Thanks Jody!

The bottom bass cabinet has a slot port and the top is sealed.

The midbass is ferocious
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    What?!? No bass hole
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    I can so see Trey putting a coffee can port on the back of the speakers...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    How does the tweeter sound on those? Similar ones are on my little tiny 920.1s. I thought they were "bright" when I first got them but figured out eventually that the gear I had was the issue.
  • VR3
    Options
    My whole system is based around the tioxid tweeter.

My hot rodded mezzo utopia have a vastly superior top end in high end clarity, detail, zero hash

Once the grande is upgraded I expect the preformance to be the same. Poor inductor layout, and cast resistors, cheap poly caps and brass connectors all lead to smearing and hash.

But yes the tioxid on the wrong gear can be very bright
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    So after a week or two, I've spent a little mrpe time with the grandes...

My thoughts are as follows

Stupid bass, bass someone would spend a fortune to find... They seem to have no limits to their depths or restrictions on the dynamics... Very accurate. The sealed top woofer tied to the 15 ported is just a wicked combo.

The midrange is excellent, prominent center imaging for vocals. Just a good midrange and excellent tweeter/woofer integration.

The highs while detailed definitely will benefit from nicer crossover components like my mezzo. They can get a little hard at higher volumes with a little smaaring... Lack of the air, detailing and fineese the modded mezzo had.

Soundstage is pretty phenomenal, great width, height, depth and scale... Not quite as 3d as the modded mezzo.

The biggest surprise is just how good they are st lower volumes and their ability to perform like a good monitor, very versatile in its representation of the music but with a max 118db output, definitely capable to throw off the gloves and shake the foundation.

Very happy with this purchase. I have alot of gear here I need to dig through and sell, maybe will even move the mezzo along, haha, maybe. Would make killer surrounds in a future system!
  • guyincognito
    Options
    That's awesome! It's been enjoyable following you along with this new purchase. I can't wait to see what the upgrade path leads to.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • VR3
    Options
    Big covers!

8bkh2pa0dova.jpg
    xl3qvv1amhbp.jpg