Best ways to make vinyl cabinets look better ???

Options
Any solutions to get rid of minor scratches and marks on vinyl "woodgrain" cabinets?

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    Clean thoroughly, maybe use one of those colored wood crayons to fill in blemishes, or remove the vinyl wrap with a heat gun, and install new?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited June 2021
    Options
    ... or go for the gusto and replace the Contact Paper with veneer. :)

Windex will, as @F1nut has pointed out, spiff up most tired and/or sticky vinyl finshes (at least of the '70s/'80s vintage) considerably.
    The suggestion @msg of using a wood finish crayon or marker on the scratches and minor divots on a vinyl "finish" is interesting. I am a bit skeptical (me?!? :# ) -- but it is eminently testable. :)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    Options
    Surprisingly (to myself), I have used 195 Everclear on my vinyl cabinet and it really cleaned it up and didn't do any apparent damage. Use at own discretion in an inconspicuous place first (disclaimer). Won't take scratches out, alas.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! B)
  • rwh3470
    rwh3470 Posts: 5
    Options
    I used Armor All with good results. Put on several heavy coats and let it soak in.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2021
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    NEVER use Armor All on anything you value. NEVER!!!

We used to use it on the dashboard and some other black plastic bits on Mrs. H's 1977 Ford Fiesta.
    Notice that this is 100% in alignment with @F1nut's observation! ;)

EDIT: In all fairness, it was a fun little car -- but a piece of junk in so many ways. :#

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    Sorry for the derailment, but I once rented a circa 1977 Fiesta directly from a Ford dealer in Illinois for $5.00 per day! It was a fun little car, but it sounds like your ownership experience was not.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Sorry for the derailment, but I once rented a circa 1977 Fiesta directly from a Ford dealer in Illinois for $5.00 per day! It was a fun little car, but it sounds like your ownership experience was not.

It was adorable and fun as heck to drive, but it used to break in interesting ways.
    I had to change the battery in it once, and was sold a VW (Beetle) battery that sort of fit, but had different electrode posts. I had to drill holes in them to attach the car's cables. This was in the winter, in slushy snow, on the street, with a corded drill and occasional, rather distracting, AC electrical shocks. Tonnes of fun. :)

The bestof its myriad weird issues was a problem it developed late in its life. It would run for 30 minutes, then just die. If allowed to cool down for a while, it would run again. Sounds simple (like vapor lock or something), but I don't think we ever got the problem figured out. It did lead to an interesting late-night stranding of my postdoc advisor when he borrowed it to pick his wife up at the airport (which was, unfortunately, about 35 minutes away). I will recount that tale some time... :#
  • odcics2
    Options
    Used Windex on my Monitor 10s and Advent 5002 speakers.
    Just did the foam on the Advents.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    You did the foam surrounds? You are braver than I would be.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I have used 99% isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, and Purple Power to remove the sticky wax and dirt buildup. All worked equally well, and did not damage the vinyl. For scratch mitigation, I've used Minwax stain. After cleaning the cabinets, wipe them down with a medium brown stain, and then wipe then down with a clean rag. The stain will fill and stay in the scratches. It may take several clean rags to get all the excess stain off. Let them dry for several days. Minwax is made with mineral spirits, so it will stink. Use in a well ventilated area.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options

Easy to do, take your time
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Easy to do, take your time

Right. I thought when I wrote it, that he was saying he cleaned them with Windex lol.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • odcics2
    edited June 2021
    Options
    9g3vbu5dvskb.jpeg
    Lol, cleaned the cabinets with windex, re-foamed the Advent woofers!! 😊
    And yes, the outside edge of the new foam sits on the frame just like the original did! 😳
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    I have used 99% isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, and Purple Power to remove the sticky wax and dirt buildup.

I accidentally used moonshine to remove the sticky wax and dirt buildup. The dorm floor hadn't been that clean since it was installed.

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    First speakers I ever re-foamed was a pair of Advent 2002 that I bought for $8 at Goodwill. I figured it would be a good speaker to practice on and cost next to nothing. They look very similar to the ones above but have a paper cone tweeter. In spite of that I am impressed with the sound stage of these things and they are down right enjoyable to listen to.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • odcics2
    Options
    The tweeters in the 5002 Advents are superior to the “fried egg” paper cones of the Original Large Advent.
  • rwh3470
    Options
    Well F1nut, I can only guess at what your bad experience with Armor All is, but I had good results with a pair of Monitor 5B speakers in good, but not great condition. Why don't you pontify on your experience with Armor All?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    It contains silicone, nasty stuff that doesn't belong anywhere near electronics. It also causes accelerated deterioration of vinyl and rubber.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    Best way to preserve vinyl (not albums) is to apply white Vaseline. Used to use it to restore old dried out vinyl dash caps on classic cars. Makes them soft and supple. vinyl is a petroleum product.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rwh3470
    edited July 2021
    Options
    If silicone doesn't belong anywhere near electronics, you'd better watch out for heatsink compounds. Many are silicone based.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    rwh3470 wrote: »
    If silicone doesn't belong anywhere near electronics, you'd better watch out for heatsink compounds. Many are silicone based.

Heat sinks and breast implants. Got it.

:D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    rwh3470 wrote: »

"Silicone oil can migrate from the heat sink compound and cause both solderability issues and conformal coating dewetting."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk