Anyone notice lossless on Apple?

Options
I noticed for the first time recently that some of Apple Music songs are not lossless and occasionally master recordings! I am playing these via Apple AirPlay to my Node2i. It sounds great to me but is this an audiophile quality format?
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3 TL
Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
Carver CT Seven Preamp
Bluesound Node 2i

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    Yes I noticed it and @mantis mentioned it in another thread. I think it has potential but it’s hard to evaluate when the only way I can hear it currently is thought my Apple TV, which isn’t exactly and audiophile device. Airplay is also not going to ever give you the best SQ…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    Options
    jbail2011 wrote: »
    I noticed for the first time recently that some of Apple Music songs are lossless and occasionally master recordings! I am playing these via Apple AirPlay to my Node2i. It sounds great to me but is this an audiophile quality format?

Fixed.
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Yes I noticed it and @mantis mentioned it in another thread. I think it has potential but it’s hard to evaluate when the only way I can hear it currently is thought my Apple TV, which isn’t exactly and audiophile device. Airplay is also not going to ever give you the best SQ…

I’ll check out that thread. Thank you. I think it sounds good although Apple is prioritizing its platform and not allowing the Node2i app to manage the content. You’re forced to use AirPlay only. I’m not sure how it compares in regards to audiophile standards.

Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    I am listening now on the HT setup. The atmos surround is pretty cool on the right songs. Like a good movie soundtrack or multi-channel SACD. Not something I’ll listen to often however….
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    I'm hoping they will open it up for other devices or give us a true audiophile (yeah right) product to listen to it on. Right now, I hook my phone up to the USB port on my Marantz. I'd like to have a better solution than that though.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    I'm hoping they will open it up for other devices or give us a true audiophile (yeah right) product to listen to it on. Right now, I hook my phone up to the USB port on my Marantz. I'd like to have a better solution than that though.

I hear you! It’s been disappointing that Apple seemed disinterested in addressing the need for lossless music. It looks as though they want to do something different and not been a me too company. My AirPlay connection to my node 2i sounds damn good. I wonder if others feel the same
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Atmos music is supposed to be the next big thing whether on Tidal, Apple, or Amazon HD. I may try out Amazon’s service again on a Fire TV product now their service has matured some. I am hearing Tidal has the best quality and selection for now though.