Audioquest Columbia line

Options
One of the big online retailers has AQ Columbia ICs new for a decent discount. Anyone have experience with these and what are your impressions? Right now I am running MIT S1/S2 ICs w S2 speaker cables fwiw. Thanks for your feedback in advance.....

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    I believe it goes Columbia then Colorado then earth, so it is 2 generations prior to the current Earth cables.

My brother has Columbia XLR between pre and amp, he likes them. He did not have MIT prior.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    One of the big online retailers has AQ Columbia ICs new for a decent discount. Anyone have experience with these and what are your impressions? Right now I am running MIT S1/S2 ICs w S2 speaker cables fwiw. Thanks for your feedback in advance.....

please share a link I could be interested....
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,994
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'm guessing this is it...

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/audioquest-columbia-interconnects-pr
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    that is what I found as well. Thanks
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,384
    Options
    Based on my experience with Audioquest cables in general, but not specifically the Columbias with the DBS system, expect neutrality. If using them with inherently bright gear or speakers the cables won't shape the sound to take the edge off. What's there is what you'll hear. MIT Shotgun cables aren't neutral players in a system in my opinion but that's why I use them.

The prices do look good on the Columbias. Their DBS system is what sets them apart from the competition in my view. I would recommend using their speaker cables and ICs together though.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,062
    Options
    If you enjoy colored cables then don't buy them. If you want to hear what your gear can do, buy them. They are excellent high quality well built cables. They are a neutral design and sound.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,384
    Options
    I ran Audioquest DBS cables with Spendor speakers and a Perreaux mosfet based integrated amp and CD player about 15 years ago. Beautiful warm sounds from that system.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,966
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I'm guessing this is it...

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/audioquest-columbia-interconnects-pr
    Yup....couldn't think of the retailer that earlier in the morning! Might be worth a try to see the difference and return them if it doesn't work out.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,858
    edited June 2021
    Options

If you're selling, I'll take the MIT interconnects.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    If you enjoy colored cables then don't buy them. If you want to hear what your gear can do, buy them. They are excellent high quality well built cables. They are a neutral design and sound.

Yet, you say....
    The DBS system is a load of crap and absolutely does nothing to improve anything.

Drops mic.......

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,620
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I have had the MIT S1/S2 ICs and speaker cables, and currently have the AQ Water ICs. IMHO I think you would have to go above the AQ Columbia level to beat the MITs. Different sound for sure between the two, but in my experience the lower level AQs just sound a bit harsh compared to the MITs.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,062
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Yet, you say....
    The DBS system is a load of crap and absolutely does nothing to improve anything.

Drops mic.......
    And I still do, the DBS system isn't what makes the cables good. Picks mic up and puts it back on the stand.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Jesse I will keep you in mind if I actually make a change. Im also in the process of going from separates back to a nice integrated to "simplify" and I just started a new job which will be much less WFH so less listening time I suppose. Or I am simply rationalizing getting new to me gear. All of these integrated ideas would be used options. It would be great to go with one with a BALANCE control to offset a room issue I have with a doorway. I also have a nice selection of 12au07 tubes on hand.
    1. Marantz KI PM
    2. Musical Fidelity A1008
    3. Rogue Audio Sphinx
    4. Marantz PM-10....this is a stretch though
    My speakers are Focal Chorus bookies right now and will eventually get rotated out for the new Usher bookies or Totem Skys or whatever else I can snag a deal on. Figured I would just tack this on to the current thread for all y'alls ideas.....
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Are divesting the 12au7's ???
    Whatcha got? I could be interested.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Are divesting the 12au7's ???
    Whatcha got? I could be interested.
    Possibly pending on what direction I go....if I pulled the trigger on the Marantz PM 10 I would definitely need the $ !
  • F1nut
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Yet, you say....

Drops mic.......
    And I still do, the DBS system isn't what makes the cables good. Picks mic up and puts it back on the stand.

So, you endorse a cable company that in your opinion uses snake oil and fancy names to push their products.

Drops and crushes mic.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Man the mic is taking a beating... I hope it's not vacuum tube based.. 😜
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Man its getting chippy in here folks!