JL Audio CR1: finally!

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,520
edited May 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
u1c7cvyncez7.jpeg
Finally received my JLA CR1. Hoping it fits into the system like a glove. We shall see.

Took me a while to find the right one.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Joey_V
    Options
    Just opened it up this morning. Waaay larger than I thought and very heavy. I was expecting something the size of a benchmark dac... not something larger than a full size Blu-ray player. It is wider than my Rotel integrated.
    q3sxwt4pahro.jpeg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    It you buy new or used? Did it come with the microphone? I've used it many times with excellent results.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    new fun toy! Congrats.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    Options
    Awesome piece of kit. Let us know your thoughts as you get it set up and how well it works.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Congrats Joey.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2021
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    It you buy new or used? Did it come with the microphone? I've used it many times with excellent results.

You must be thinking of the velodyne sms... this one came with an iec plug and rack ears.

It’s a pure analong crossover. It doesn’t room correct.

Haven’t installed it yet, wife and kids asleep. Can’t run the dual sub correction and wake up the neighborhood.

I’m just sitting here listening to Tidal in the big system and it still sounds awesome as it is. Phil Collins on now.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Completely unrelated:

But I must say, the Audio Research Ref 40 preamp has got to be one of the greatest units created for music listening. Pure sonic marvel.
  • Nex
    Nex Posts: 36
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Just opened it up this morning. Waaay larger than I thought and very heavy. I was expecting something the size of a benchmark dac... not something larger than a full size Blu-ray player. It is wider than my Rotel integrated.
    q3sxwt4pahro.jpeg

You ought to get a nicer stand for it.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    ^^
    Lol
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Completely Unrelated:

@Joey_V, your choice of music reminded me of this Texas information regarding Phil Collins and the Alamo. Recently read about this in the Texas Monthly. The Alamo seems to be appropriate topic for Memorial Day.

In the summer of 2014, Collins generously donated his priceless collection of Alamo and Texana artifacts to the Texas General Land Office, guardian of the Alamo on behalf of the people of Texas.

Collins built the collection over several decades, purchasing some items and even discovering some others just steps away from the Alamo itself.

Collins fell in love with the Alamo’s inspiring story as a 5-year-old boy, when he saw the Disney production of Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier. When other children were out playing cops and robbers or other childhood games, Collins says that he was re-enacting the Battle of the Alamo.

o6hprp49rvqo.png

https://www.thealamo.org/visit/whats-at-the-alamo/phil-collins-collection
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Finally found the time to connect the CR1 to the system chain last night. The experiments to see if it has any detrimental effect on the sound of the main speakers (sans subs) has begun.

At first I will say I was disappointed.

More to come.
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    Options
    Hopefully that disappointment goes away after some use.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000