iTunes and new laptop

simm
simm Posts: 562
I have an iTunes account that was set up probably 10-12 years ago using a sign an email address I no longer have access to. It has not been an issue until now but I am moving from a windows based PC to a Mac. I burned all my CD’s, approx 1400, onto the hard drive in Apple lossless format. I have back up copies. I just bought a new laptop- MacBook Pro- and want to copy over the music I have using a new iTunes account. Is this possible? I don’t want to go through the next year burning CD’s again if I can help it.

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Can't you just copy the files to a directory and tell iTunes to use that directory?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • simm
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Can't you just copy the files to a directory and tell iTunes to use that directory?

I’m not sure. I’m going to try that but didn’t know if someone had a similar situation and if so did it work. I’m also not sure how the music I have saved in iTunes will work with Apple Music has replaced iTunes.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    I haven't used iTunes in ages, but I think it should work like Bud mentioned above - just copy the files to the new computer.

You might consider setting up iTunes first if you plan to use the default directories as the storage location for iTunes music files. I have my stuff stored in a few different locations. Either way is fine, you just have to tell iTunes where to find the music if not in the default folder.

CDs you rip through iTunes shouldn't have had any DRM. I think DRM is only for stuff you buy through iTunes. That stuff would be tied to your Apple ID.

Side note, if you haven't already thought about it/aren't already doing it, you might consider getting a common service email address through Google, Outlook or Yahoo. They'll never go away, unlike work or ISP email accounts. Well, Google and Outlook, at least.
    I disabled signatures.
  • simm
    msg wrote: »
    I haven't used iTunes in ages, but I think it should work like Bud mentioned above - just copy the files to the new computer.

You might consider setting up iTunes first if you plan to use the default directories as the storage location for iTunes music files. I have my stuff stored in a few different locations. Either way is fine, you just have to tell iTunes where to find the music if not in the default folder.

CDs you rip through iTunes shouldn't have had any DRM. I think DRM is only for stuff you buy through iTunes. That stuff would be tied to your Apple ID.

Side note, if you haven't already thought about it/aren't already doing it, you might consider getting a common service email address through Google, Outlook or Yahoo. They'll never go away, unlike work or ISP email accounts. Well, Google and Outlook, at least.

I’m going to try it in the morning. I now use a gmail email address so no issue with losing access again. Thanks
  • msg
    Nice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    This should work:
    In the Music app on your Mac, choose File > Add To Library or File > Import. If you selected “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” in Files preferences, you see File > Import. Locate a file or folder, then click Open. If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.
    https://support.apple.com/guide/music/import-items-already-on-your-computer-mus3081/mac
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • msg
    If the files are already on the new computer, does opting "Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library" create a second copy of the files in the iTunes/Music app's default library folder?
    I disabled signatures.
  • simm
    I got it all moved over onto the new laptop. Having always been a windows user there was a bit of a learning curve with the Mac but I think I am going to like it. I lost about a quarter of my album artwork but am working on manually adding them back. Should have it back up and running by the weekend. Thanks for the help.
  • msg
    Isn't there a way to tell iTunes to go out and pull down album art? It's been so long, I forget.

Yeah, macOS can seem a bit counter-intuitive at first, but it does have some really nice features unavailable in Windows, like Mission Control - primarily Expose and Spaces, not to mention a much cleaner all around presentation than that tablety kiddy build, Win10. Both platforms have their benefits. I got my first MacBook Pro in 2008. I still think Finder sucks.

For me, Mac's for play, Windows is for work, though I did use my MBP more for work in a previous job and ran VMware Workstation for using Windows inside macOS. Truly the best of both worlds.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Not sure you even needed to copy the files over. 🤔

Normally, you can associate ANY e-mail address with your AppleID. AppleID’s do NOT have to be an email address provided by Apple, so you can associate the address of the old iTunes purchases with your AppleID, without changing your actual AppleID (whatever e-mail address you used to set up the Mac).

Your Apple purchases will be available on ANY device associated with your AppleID, and they can be downloaded to local storage.

Also, if this is a new or refurbished Mac from Apple or a trusted partner, you will have 3 months of free access to Apple Music, as well as a year of free access to AppleTV+. You can add old iTunes purchases to your Apple Music account, and download the songs to your library.

You can get help for all of this from Apple Support. There is no charge for support.

One last thing: Apple just announced HiRes lossless streaming for Apple Music, coming with the next update (14.6 for iOS or iPad OS), but NOT over Bluetooth. This is very new, so the capabilities and limitations are not entirely clear and there seems to be some confusion over what is needed for HiRes lossless — probably an external DAC. Also not sure what update will be required for MacOS, or when.
    Alea jacta est!
  • simm
    What are the best settings on a MacBook pro for using as a music server? What would be a good music management software program to use? I have always just used iTunes so not familiar with any other options. Thanks