Adjustable SDA?

Options
I'm sure Polk spent countless hours on getting the perfect balance of sound from our SDA speakers. But as some of you might know, I like to think outside the box sometimes.

The dimensional drivers on the outside that produce the SDA seem to play at a lower volume than the stereo drivers when the interconnect cable is hooked up. That leads me to ask the following question.

Could the width of the SDA sound be increased by reducing the volume of only the stereo drivers in each speaker so you would hear more from the dimensional drivers? What are your thoughts?

(Yes, I know I'm going to catch hell for asking this but that is OK.) :)
  • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
  • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
  • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
  • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
  • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited May 2021
    Options
    The SDA drivers play at a reduced volume in order to make the interaural crosstalk cancellation work.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I played with hooking up 2 pairs of speakers with two amps (one integrated) with one pair of speakers wired like they did with the SDA's. With the "dimensional drivers" off my system sounded like it always did. But as you turned up the "dimensional" speakers you could hear the sound stage clearly widening. IIRC if you turned the SDA speakers up too much it started sounding unnatural but they could have been playing louder than the mains.

This is not hard to do. Get some surrounds and place them next to your speakers wired like the SDA's and drive them from one preamp. Then turn up the SDA effect as much as you want. It sounded great when you hit the sweet spot.

And i don't mine catching hell either.........
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Options
    Adjusting speaker location such as width between the pair can make significant changes in imaging.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I didn't think there would be much interest in this.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    I'm sure Polk spent countless hours on getting the perfect balance of sound from our SDA speakers. But as some of you might know, I like to think outside the box sometimes.

The dimensional drivers on the outside that produce the SDA seem to play at a lower volume than the stereo drivers when the interconnect cable is hooked up. That leads me to ask the following question.

Could the width of the SDA sound be increased by reducing the volume of only the stereo drivers in each speaker so you would hear more from the dimensional drivers? What are your thoughts?

The dimensional woofers only real purpose is to cancel the crosstalk from the opposite channel. I doubt increasing their level would do anything other than bring attention to themselves, which you don't want. The stereo woofers and tweeters create the soundstage, along with proper positioning and room treatment if needed. I would think going up the SDA ladder to multiple stereo drivers, say 2.3tl or 1.2tl would do a better job of expanding the soundstage.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »

The dimensional woofers only real purpose is to cancel the crosstalk from the opposite channel. I doubt increasing their level would do anything other than bring attention to themselves, which you don't want.

If you listen to just the dimensional woofers with the mains off they have a strange "spacey" sound with zero imaging. The sound seems to come from everywhere and you can not get any directional clues. It is a very strange experience.