Finally Found a Set of Boston Acoustics Vista

Options
WLDock
WLDock Posts: 3,073
edited April 2021 in Speakers
I've been a Boston Acoustics fan going back to my Car Audio days in the 90's. I ran the Boston Pro Series components and subs for years. As far as Home I miss the boat over the years but later years have a couple of sets of their older VR Series speakers. But I've been after the less older Vista line / VS Series for awhile now but have come up short until now.

These have SB Acoustics based drivers that I'm a fan of and had plans to someday build a kit using their stuff. I've really wanted the VS 336 towers & VS 325 center but those towers never showed up anywhere. So, I moved on a set of VS 260 bookshelf and the VS 325 center (still in shipment) that popped up for sale.

In a rush to listen to them, I hooked them up in a temp setting connected to my little Cabasse Stream amp and they sound pretty good, all things considered. They are pretty speakers!

In due time I hope to get them connected to the A/V system in the family room. The plan is to connect to a nice integrated connected in HT mode to power them. As is, I've been listening all day... the Mrs. even came in and sat for a long time to listen.

6rgbcuql7ued.jpg
q20x70fgqdbs.jpg

wc0y9sqvk8cf.jpg
fpmeyu7xypn1.jpg
2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
Post edited by WLDock on

Comments

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I don’t think I’ve seen those before. When was that model manufactured? They certainly are purdy! Those stands look great with them as well.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • WLDock
    edited April 2021
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve seen those before. When was that model manufactured? They certainly are purdy! Those stands look great with them as well.

The Vista / VS line came out around 2008.
    https://hometheaterhifi.com/press-releases/boston-acoustics-introduces-new-flagship-vista-series/

https://www.engadget.com/2008-10-02-boston-acoustics-renames-vista-speakers-vs-to-avoid-confusion.html

I looked high an low for some sculpted stands that matched the piano finish and sculpted shape of the speakers. If was either big buck stands (NOT!) or these budget ones. I think they look great as well, all things considered.

wtfcovihmz8w.jpg

The line came in many finishes in other markets, but limited in the US. When I search hifishark.com I still see the VS336 towers for sale from time to time in parts of Europe so I wonder if they sold well over seas?

Brochure: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/33025789/vs-series-boston-acoustics
    Manual: https://images.app.goo.gl/v1CJFjYBTqdkwsSa7

3gofipzudjrk.jpg

vlxzoh9l96zi.jpg

I have the center channel heading my way on tuesday.
    f6e4adpz5n05.jpg

36byrgv7zgoj.jpg

They even offered a 44" tall & slim tower, the VS344. I was trying to move on a set of these out of N.Y. However, the thought of the long drive during COVID, I gave up.
    aahv5penele3.jpg

The elusive VS 336 towers. ATTENTION! If anyone reading this ever comes across a set of the these towers for sale, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! LOL!
    88d0oeug1v5f.jpg
    3falhwr8xws3.jpg
    gsvhrkgdys8x.jpg
    5wns158ys51x.jpg
    g8b95482eon8.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I like it when a speaker is designed to NOT have a house plant on top.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • WLDock
    edited April 2021
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I like it when a speaker is designed to NOT have a house plant on top.
    Absolutely!

VS Series

Great sound has a whole new look
    Boston VS Series Loudspeakers–our best performing, best-looking products deliver a superior home theater or audio-only experience. Innovative driver and cabinet designs yield exceptional sonic characteristics. Each VS Series model is voiced to blend with the others so they can be combined to deliver the best performance in any configuration.

Dispelling all notions of the typical loudspeaker “rectangular box,” the structural elements of all VS models reflect a seamless merging of art and science. The structural elements of the cabinets are made of high-frequency-molded MDF with “wave like” curved surfaces that reduce internal standing waves and panel resonances. Further reflecting the seamless merging of art and science that defines the VS Series, all VS cabinets feature an elegant piano lacquer finish and high-gloss furniture-grade end panels.

Key features
    • Super Wide Bandwidth (SWB) Tweeter featuring a Coupled Dual Concentric - Diaphragm (CDCD) minimizes phase shift
    and distortion while improving pistonic motion. (except VPS 210)
    • Organic Composite Cone Material (OCCM) was developed using a mix of select natural fibers to reduce resonance and
    improve accuracy.
    • High-frequency-molded MDF cabinet features curved surfaces, which reduce internal standing waves and panel
    resonances.
    • Bi-amp, Bi-wire capability (VS 336, VS344 and VS 325C)
    • MagnaGuard® video shielding
    • Gold-plated 5-way binding posts
    • Elegant lacquer piano finish cabinet
    • High-gloss multi-layer furniture-grade end panels

ze3idxh9f59i.jpg
    bgwf8wwgrsux.jpg

Post edited by WLDock on
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Very nice cabs! Bet they sound great
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Sexy stuff Walt.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    Great looking speakers, I’ve never heard of that line from BA but I bet they sound great. I see they use some SB acoustics drivers in them. My Salks feature their Satori tweeters and woofers, so I know the sound well.
  • GEBBY44
    GEBBY44 Posts: 939
    Options
    Those look absolutely beautiful. I never knew this kind existed. BA gets forgotten by most of us because they aren't a flashy name, but I've never heard a BA speaker that I disliked. Those look badass, congrats.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    Those look nice. I also used BA back in my car competetion days and had a pair of T-1030's in my first theater setup. I always enjoyed the BA sound and value. Let us know what you think after you spend some time with em.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • WLDock
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Very nice cabs! Bet they sound great

@VR3 You will get a kick out of this. I took the drivers out just to see if they had any SB acoustics markings and I wanted to see the crossover board. The boards can't even be seen as the port is folded, bent and the crossover tucked under it in the narrow back wall of the cabinet! They really outdid themselves on this design. Pretty cool.... unless I ever have to replace some caps on the crossover. I would have to unglue or take apart the port... I'm not sure if its two pieces?

v1wfgmzj30jz.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    that is interesting indeed! Definite external crossover territory :p Looks like they are built well
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • WLDock
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Since some that posted are not familiar with this line, here's a review of the VS 336 and some info on other models that maybe some were not familiar with.
    https://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/hifi/boston-acoustics-vs-336/seite-1.html

Boston even offered a Bi-Wire adapter to bypass the metal bridges that for some reason are so common.
    https://www.i-fidelity.net/news/details/c/bd4fa455562c87e000ca8ee9aa6fe635/article/boston-acoustics-bringt-hochwertige-bi-wiring-bruecke.html
    b09wn2w7e1p4.jpg
    3gnuddns1tgo.jpg

Around 2012 they offer the M-Series
    https://www.ecoustics.com/products/boston-acoustics-m-series-home/
    x1pdnbmbinva.jpg

Here's the late Ken Ishiwata leaning on the M350 flagship model ($2500 pair). I was chasing after a set of these also. I had a couple of chances but missed out.
    m3hwxamdh04c.jpg
    1piasesca1p1.jpg

Here's the M350's in his listening room that took 8 months to build at a cost of about $200,000!
    https://www.the-ear.net/how-to/ken-ishiwata-man-and-his-listening-room
    1q9weninbrno.jpg

Around 2010 they offered their Reflection Series line that was the middle line below the flagship VS Series offering: https://www.ecoustics.com/products/boston-acoustics-rs-326-floorstanding/

The RS 326 was the top model and were priced at ($1998 pair.)
    16mpq2hwe5pz.jpg

Around 2007 they offered their Reference E-Series line. https://www.ecoustics.com/products/boston-acoustics-e-series-speakers-new/

The flagship model was the 6 ft. tall E100 model, priced at ($5000 pair.)
    xbjyaaj2oh72.jpg
    6kqjvvcbcine.jpg
  • WLDock
    edited April 2021
    Options
    The VS 325 center is hooked up and on fulltime dialog duty.
    xtajh4a3rouo.jpg

I actually ran across a set of the smaller VS 240 bookshelf units awhile back. The seller still had them so I purchased those and they came in today. I've been listening through parts of the day and evening and man do these sound nice on vocals and overall imaging. I was surprised at the sound, especially when mated with a small sub. I think I've found my small unobtrusive monitors that the Mrs. will approve of in the Living room. Beautiful speakers!

x3b0dwu4prot.jpg
    4c0f4orskpa2.jpg
    5ten8km2i85b.jpg

Post edited by WLDock on
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    The VS 325 center is hooked up and on fulltime dialog duty.
    xtajh4a3rouo.jpg

I actually ran across a set of the smaller VS 240 bookshelf units awhile back. The seller still had them so I purchased those and they came in today. I've been listening through parts of the day and evening and man do these sound nice on vocals and overall imaging. I was surprised at the sound, especially when mated with a small sub. I think I've found my small unobtrusive monitors that the Mrs. will approve of in the Living room. Beautiful speakers!

x3b0dwu4prot.jpg
    4c0f4orskpa2.jpg
    5ten8km2i85b.jpg

They look amazing! Great little surrounds! Gonna use them for the rears?
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    I may have to see about a demo of these puppies....

I love the looks and Boston Acoustics was a good brand years back as well.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    edited April 2021
    Options
    "Here's the late Ken Ishiwata leaning on the M350 flagship model ($2500 pair). I was chasing after a set of these also. I had a couple of chances but missed out."
    h07dd5mswfs1.png

wz9fd6kmp6h9.png

Very smart man the way he paid attention to controlling/eliminating edge diffractions, both at the edges of the cabinet and at the driver flanges. I'd like to know more details about how the cabinet was constructed. Was the front/top/back/bottom one big laminated ring of veneers? Or was it formed in place MDF? Nice.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • WLDock
    Options
    I like the vocals on these so much that I might use them in my living room. Bcause I have the speakers, subs, Salamader stand (The Mrs is not too crazy about the looks), etc. in the family room I'm getting flack about putting a music system in the living room. These little guys mated with a small clean sounding sub will make for a nice low level listening setup that won't take over the room. So, I'm already putting it in motion.
    Yeah, these are pretty cool speakers and a departure from what they did before them.
    Very smart man the way he paid attention to controlling/eliminating edge diffractions, both at the edges of the cabinet and at the driver flanges. I'd like to know more details about how the cabinet was constructed. Was the front/top/back/bottom one big laminated ring of veneers? Or was it formed in place MDF? Nice.
    Yes, I've heard more than one person talk about how solid the cabinets feel.
  • LZten321
    Options
    I have a pair of the VS336’s along with my VS260’s and VS325C. Even though I love these speakers and they sound great I’m starting to get that itch for a new set of speakers. I have been considering upgrading in the near future. However the problem is finding a comparable new set of speakers that aren’t going to cost me $10k ; )
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I've been a Boston Acoustics fan going back to my Car Audio days in the 90's. I ran the Boston Pro Series components and subs for years. As far as Home I miss the boat over the years but later years have a couple of sets of their older VR Series speakers. But I've been after the less older Vista line / VS Series for awhile now but have come up short until now.

These have SB Acoustics based drivers that I'm a fan of and had plans to someday build a kit using their stuff. I've really wanted the VS 336 towers & VS 325 center but those towers never showed up anywhere. So, I moved on a set of VS 260 bookshelf and the VS 325 center (still in shipment) that popped up for sale.

In a rush to listen to them, I hooked them up in a temp setting connected to my little Cabasse Stream amp and they sound pretty good, all things considered. They are pretty speakers!

In due time I hope to get them connected to the A/V system in the family room. The plan is to connect to a nice integrated connected in HT mode to power them. As is, I've been listening all day... the Mrs. even came in and sat for a long time to listen.

6rgbcuql7ued.jpg
    q20x70fgqdbs.jpg

wc0y9sqvk8cf.jpg
    fpmeyu7xypn1.jpg

I'd like to hear those.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Beautiful speakers, congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • LZten321
    Options
    The towers do sound very nice considering the price point when they were released. I have my VS336’s paired along with the VS260’s, VS325C and my trusty VR960’s for rears. The 336’s are driven by my Rotel amp through my Denon 4400. As of late I have started researching new speakers but the issue I’m running into is the price of new speakers. To get comparable speakers to the BA’s in this market is going to be difficult without dropping a lot of money. These speakers have been great. Before these speakers I had a Velodyne sub paired with my VR speakers but when I bought the VS speakers I disconnected the Velodyne since the VS could handle the low frequencies even for movies. Too bad Sound United pulled the plug on Boston Acoustics. Maybe some day they will bring back the brand with the same BA quality.
    I like the vocals on these so much that I might use them in my living room. Bcause I have the speakers, subs, Salamader stand (The Mrs is not too crazy about the looks), etc. in the family room I'm getting flack about putting a music system in the living room. These little guys mated with a small clean sounding sub will make for a nice low level listening setup that won't take over the room. So, I'm already putting it in motion.
    Yeah, these are pretty cool speakers and a departure from what they did before them.
    Yes, I've heard more than one person talk about how solid the cabinets feel.

6rgbcuql7ued.jpg
    q20x70fgqdbs.jpg

wc0y9sqvk8cf.jpg
    fpmeyu7xypn1.jpg

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Sexy Beeaches! CONGRATS!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • WLDock
    edited September 2021
    Options
    LZten321 wrote: »
    The towers do sound very nice considering the price point when they were released. I have my VS336’s paired along with the VS260’s, VS325C and my trusty VR960’s for rears. The 336’s are driven by my Rotel amp through my Denon 4400. As of late I have started researching new speakers but the issue I’m running into is the price of new speakers. To get comparable speakers to the BA’s in this market is going to be difficult without dropping a lot of money. These speakers have been great. Before these speakers I had a Velodyne sub paired with my VR speakers but when I bought the VS speakers I disconnected the Velodyne since the VS could handle the low frequencies even for movies. Too bad Sound United pulled the plug on Boston Acoustics. Maybe some day they will bring back the brand with the same BA quality.

Nice! Yes, these were one of the better used values I've acquired. There is another speaker using SB Acoustics drivers that look interesting. Not sure if they would be a lateral move or better than the Boston's. However, I would love to listen to the Chane L Series speakers.

20210402_134222-jpg.3118419