Time to replace my CD player

Options
Time to replace my CD player. I’ve been using a NAD545. Although this units has had its issues, I liked the sound. It started skipping, I replaced the laser, it worked for awhile, now it’s skipping again. Time to upgrade.

I like what I’ve read about the Marantz CD6007 but can’t find one. I have a few CD players laying around, some with digital outs, but they all seem weak compared to the NAD. I’ve ripped quite a few CDs but I like having the physical media. I do not own an external DAC.

Do you thing something like an older Sony BDP S590 through a Cambridge CXN V2 would sound good? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    What’s ur budget?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    A grand or less.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,937
    Options
    Well gosh, if that's your budget, and you liked the NAD so much, why not just get [THIS C568] from Safe and Sound HQ?!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    I was considering that, but thought maybe something like a CXN and cheaper transport might be the way to go. That would give me streaming , a dac and cd playback.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Not to get all... the way I get ;) ... but are you sure the optics are clean and the tracks that the head moves on are clean and properly lubricated, @Easy Runnin ?

Otherwise, my advice (FWIW, which I realize ain't much!) is use whatever transport you want (and I mean whatever)... and pair it with a good DAC.

So many good DACs today, at any price point.

50650444511_1aeff6a188_b.jpgBDA-1 plus DVD-1730 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

With an enduring note of thanks to @BlueFox :)

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    A grand or less.
    I have the CXC paired with my CXN.
    I imagine the CXC will remain in my system longer than my CXN, and I'm in no rush to push the CXN out.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    my advice is use whatever transport you want (and I mean whatever)... and pair it with a good DAC.

^^^ THIS ^^^

however, IMHO A well-built transport has it’s merits. I rolled PS Audio PerfectWave transport to replace my Oppo 105 and it made a big (Mo Betta) SQ difference/Improvement
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    my advice is use whatever transport you want (and I mean whatever)... and pair it with a good DAC.

^^^ THIS ^^^

however, IMHO A well-built transport has it’s merits. I rolled PS Audio PerfectWave transport to replace my Oppo 105 and it made a big (Mo Betta) SQ difference/Improvement

Actually (and I probably should've at least mentioned this), I don't disagree! To wit, I was using a fairly nice Marantz CDP for a long time... but it (ahem) started to skip sometimes playing the "last" tracks on CDs (the outermost data tracks on a CD) and I began evaluating others in the "collection", using the pictured Bryston DAC.

That crummy, cheap Denon DVDP (a dump find) sounded better than the Marantz, with both used (only) as transports. I cannot rationalize that, but it was what I "heard". Go figure. :|
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^

Actually (and I probably should've at least mentioned this), I don't disagree! To wit, I was using a fairly nice Marantz CDP for a long time... but it (ahem) started to skip sometimes playing the "last" tracks on CDs (the outermost data tracks on a CD) and I began evaluating others in the "collection", using the pictured Bryston DAC.

That crummy, cheap Denon DVDP (a dump find) sounded better than the Marantz, with both used (only) as transports. I cannot rationalize that, but it was what I "heard". Go figure. :|

So you're saying you heard a difference in transports? YIKES :)

• mhardy6647
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^

yup.
    Don't tell ASR ;)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^

yup.
    Don't tell ASR ;)

The horrors......I don't know what to expect next.......sonic differences in wiring? :D
  • mhardy6647
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^

yup.
    Don't tell ASR ;)

The horrors......I don't know what to expect next.......sonic differences in wiring? :D

I've found that virtually all hifi components sound better with wires than without.
    ... but I digress.
    :#
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Maybe you just need a good repair shop, like this one in Egypt.

na7fkfoof07x.png
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I was considering that, but thought maybe something like a CXN and cheaper transport might be the way to go. That would give me streaming , a dac and cd playback.

That is a good idea, if streaming will be your primary way of listening. But if CDs are still primary, I would go this route. I owned this and it’s an excellent stand alone DAC and CD player:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cambridge-Audio-851C-CD-Player-DAC-Preamplifier/324507988803?hash=item4b8e2ef343:g:spkAAOSwUwRgQmdH

Then add a squeezebox touch or even a chromecast audio (I actually have one lying around I would be willing to sell you). You have both streaming and a really good CD player.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Maybe you just need a good repair shop, like this one in Egypt.

na7fkfoof07x.png
    Look! Up there, behind the proprietor and a little to his left (our right)...
    It's... it's... it's where all of the remote controls go!!!

:o
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    For all I know he might have fixed King Tut's VCR way back when.
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    That is a good idea, if streaming will be your primary way of listening. But if CDs are still primary, I would go this route. I owned this and it’s an excellent stand alone DAC and CD player:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cambridge-Audio-851C-CD-Player-DAC-Preamplifier/324507988803?hash=item4b8e2ef343:g:spkAAOSwUwRgQmdH

Ooo! That looks like it would have worked. I got an itchy finger and grabbed one of the refurbished 851Ns off eBay. I’m going to use a Pioneer DV45A as a transport for the time being.

• rooftop59
    Options

Ooo! That looks like it would have worked. I got an itchy finger and grabbed one of the refurbished 851Ns off eBay. I’m going to use a Pioneer DV45A as a transport for the time being.

You’ll love it! Basically the same thing except you get a really good streamer instead of a certain player...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,150
    Options

Sorry for chiming in so late. Did your ebay plan work out??

I'm currently running the "coveted" Emotiva ERC-3 which actually is a great CD player using balanced interconnects. I did some "listening" comparisons with my Panasonic 9000 which also has balanced connectivity and the ERC-3 offered a slightly wider stage. It was very close, both are great listening CD spinners. Of course the Emo comes in at almost half the price of the Panni.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Sorry for chiming in so late. Did your ebay plan work out??

I'm currently running the "coveted" Emotiva ERC-3 which actually is a great CD player using balanced interconnects. I did some "listening" comparisons with my Panasonic 9000 which also has balanced connectivity and the ERC-3 offered a slightly wider stage. It was very close, both are great listening CD spinners. Of course the Emo comes in at almost half the price of the Panni.

Emo, pfft, jk 😂. Where ya been boy?
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,150
    Options

Emo, pfft, jk 😂. Where ya been boy?

Hey Ken, just stumbling along....if I were a tumbleweed I'd be......well, you know the song B)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman