Adcom GFA5500 or NAD218?

halo71
halo71 Posts: 4,572
I have the chance do possibly do some trading. I could use another power amp. I have a pair of dead mint Bolendar Graebner RD50 speakers built from the kit that PE sold several year ago. Kinda dont wanna part with them. But I dont listen to the very often. THe other party involved here is wanting them. I was kinda wanting to keep them in case Tony's Carver Amazing's become available again. But, that probably wont happen.

So...the 5500 has been recapped. The NAD has had a total restore with upgraded parts. Panasonic, Nichicon caps, Hexford diodes.Supposedly its the same as the NAD S300 25th anniversary model that was built by Gryphon. Output cables changed for OFC, new binding posts, new non-inductive resistors. New negative feedback resistors. OpAmp were replaced with BB OPA2604. This is what the seller has told me. And i know nothing about what he is talking about really. lol

He values the amp at $700-$800. And I have no idea what my BG speakers are worth really. I have practically nothing in them. Cause I traded a pair of JBL 4312C's I was given for free several years ago for the BG's. I have read the BG kit PE sold was around $1800.

So.....sorry for the long winded post. But I need some advice here.
--Gary--
Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.

Comments

• Both are excellent amps that will sound very different.
    NAD back when they made the 218THX was known for very warm sound. Top end there, but sounding rolled off compared to some other brands side by side. Adcom could sound rather cold and clinical. Although the 5500 was around the time they started changing that. The NAD may sound a little different than what I described with the upgrades. Maybe yes, maybe no.
    The NAD was by far the more powerful amp with it’s ridiculous amounts of dynamic headroom though.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    I'd pick the NAD over the ADCOM
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • I was curious so I looked into the NAD 218 and I'm kind of surprised that they only rate it at +1dB of dynamic headroom and don't give a continuous power rating for 4 Ohms. I have seen some NAD amps that are more like +6dB.

siymq3qisdjg.jpg

The stereophile measurements show

8pdc912w7vpl.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    If the NAD has had a total restore by a competent tech, then I would probably lean that way.

What other gear are you planning on using it with?
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • halo71
    edited February 2021
    Another amp on the trade deal added today is a Bryston 3B
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • halo71
    [quote="engie490;c-2631981
    What other gear are you planning on using it with?[/quote]

Not real sure just yet. Other than Thiel CS2.3 and a Denon SACD. This set up will go in my other "den" in my house.

--Gary--
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Personally, I would save a few more bucks and get a McCormack DNA-1 or a Classe 15. Even a financially lateral move to an Aragon 4004 would be worthwhile. Stepping up to the next level of amp quality will be apparent on the Thiels. They are quite revealing and stay between 2 and 4 ohms from below 100 Hz to above 1.2 KHz.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    engie490 wrote: »
    Personally, I would save a few more bucks and get a McCormack DNA-1 or a Classe 15. Even a financially lateral move to an Aragon 4004 would be worthwhile. Stepping up to the next level of amp quality will be apparent on the Thiels. They are quite revealing and stay between 2 and 4 ohms from below 100 Hz to above 1.2 KHz.

I have to agree with this, thiels need a quality amp with quite a bit of current to sound their best.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    edited February 2021
    Them Aragons are legit!! My 4004mk2 just blew away the Adcom 5802 I had. Adcom is gone Aragon stayed and I upped the the current with a Aragon 8008bb both will stay for awhile. I'll put the Carver TFM45 into 3.1 HT duty.

Shortly after I bought the Aragon 8008bb I seen a guy in Chicago (I believe) had a pair of Aragon 400wpc Palladium Mono's for sale. They played class A up to 125watts.
    I was sweating for a few days. For 1500.00 for the pair I thought that was a very good deal.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    halo71 wrote: »
    Another amp on the trade deal added today is a Bryston 3B

I’d go with the Bryston all day, every day. Great current and awesome build quality. Tough to beat.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    I'd still steer towards the NAD over the 3B. Maybe if you can work the deal where you can test both before you decide. IMHO a very revealing speaker would benefit more with a warmer amp. My Klipsch KG4's I restored sound superb on NAD amps.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    About those Carvers.....check your PM’s.

Also, I might have another goodie or two that might interest you.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Them Aragons are legit!! My 4004mk2 just blew away the Adcom 5802 I had.

The original 4004 was designed by Dan D'Agostino