What has happened to the postal service?

Options
2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,090
    Options
    BARBER COLMAN -- wonder who made it (i.e., the EIA code)?
    I have no idea.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,622
    Options
    Yeah unfortunately the images in the auction don't load anymore or I would post them.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    The only real problems I ever had with the post office was the really slow shipment tracking updates. It had improved dramatically, then the last Postmaster General made all those infamous cuts and got called out about removing all of those mail sorting machines. After that EVERYTHING went downhill ! The tracking became spotty at best and same with getting deliveries on time. Some stuff came through just fine and other packages/mail deliveries got lost for weeks on end. It all depended on where they were coming from/what post offices they were passing through. Someone sent me a Christmas card that they mailed mid December from Ohio and I just got it last week!
    I had a package coming from an eBay seller that apparently was mailed at the same time from a totally different place (Florida) Once it left Florida it disappeared. About a week and a half after the seller gave me a refund, I got the package this month.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,494
    Options
    Yeah Carlton, I skimmed an article a while back about the cuts and removal of all those sorting machines, and didn't understand how that could be a good thing unless they were immediately replacing them. Just left me with more questions as I've been seeing other people experiencing similar delays.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,626
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    BARBER COLMAN -- wonder who made it (i.e., the EIA code)?
    I have no idea.

Always good information to have.

It can help weed out whether or not it is indeed hard to find or quite common.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    The Postal Service?
    Ben Gibbard, right?
    I really liked them...

https://youtu.be/0rKC7ElkTUQ
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have worked for USPS for almost 26 years. There are a lot of things that I just can’t say in an open forum. I will say this,things have been changing,(and not for the better) for decades. Way before 2016. I for one,am very embarrassed to hear issues like this over,and over. I’m planning on retiring in less than 3 years. It can’t come soon enough.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,724
    Options
    USPS...
    Usually Slow Probably Stolen.

Went in yesterday and they still don't have the largest flat-rate box available. Going check Fedex tomorrow.

I read a few years ago, that they are basically bankrupt due to yearly insurance and/or pension fund. Something to that nature.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Who else would deliver a $.55 letter from anywhere USA to the bush of Alaska.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options
    Who else would deliver a $.55 letter from anywhere USA to the bush of Alaska.

That’s really the problem from a business standpoint. It makes no financial sense, and they try to make up for it with exorbitant package shipping costs. But remember, the whole idea here is that the post office is a public good, and therefore subsidized by the taxpayer: however, I don’t think that this is any longer the case. High speed internet is what they need in rural areas, not letters imho...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Yes but on the other hand it (national governmental postal service) is constitutionally mandated authorized. I don't think "the framers" mentioned internet. Lincoln, yes, but not those powdered wig guys.

;)

EDITed after consulting Section 1, Article 8. sorry!

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,089
    Options
    I know there are many horror stories such as the ones mentioned in this thread, but if you consider the amount of mail that is processed on a daily basis, their success rate is phenomenal. If they are successful 99% of the time, that means a ton of late/lost mail
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,494
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I have worked for USPS for almost 26 years. There are a lot of things that I just can’t say in an open forum. I will say this,things have been changing,(and not for the better) for decades. Way before 2016. I for one,am very embarrassed to hear issues like this over,and over. I’m planning on retiring in less than 3 years. It can’t come soon enough.
    I can understand feeling the way you do, but that just means you're one of the people who cares, and not one of the ones who should feel embarrassed.

Oddly, it's the ones who should that don't.

It sucks when you want the organization to better, and see that it's possible, but your hands are tied.
    I disabled signatures.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,347
    Options
    The problems facing the USPS have nothing to do with the vast majority of the employees. The single biggest problem they face, IMHO is the fact that they are tied to the government. The government has no clue what it takes to run a successful business, and therefor they impose completely unrealistic demands and expectations on the USPS.

Another “problem” as I see it are the ridiculous discounts given to the junk-mailers. I don’t know how these agreements come about, but I can’t imagine how they benefit the USPS. if it’s a “some revenue is better than no revenue” ideology, then increase to going rate for all mail to say $.75 or even $1, and charge everyone the same rate. I have to imagine the decrease in processing of the junk mail would have a substantially positive impact on every phase of operations, from transport, sorting, delivery, etc.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    The problems facing the USPS have nothing to do with the vast majority of the employees. The single biggest problem they face, IMHO is the fact that they are tied to the government. The government has no clue what it takes to run a successful business, and therefor they impose completely unrealistic demands and expectations on the USPS.

Another “problem” as I see it are the ridiculous discounts given to the junk-mailers. I don’t know how these agreements come about, but I can’t imagine how they benefit the USPS. if it’s a “some revenue is better than no revenue” ideology, then increase to going rate for all mail to say $.75 or even $1, and charge everyone the same rate. I have to imagine the decrease in processing of the junk mail would have a substantially positive impact on every phase of operations, from transport, sorting, delivery, etc.

Stop making sense!!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,626
    Options
    Sooo short answer
    It's not Trumps fault like they beat the drum all last year....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Sooo short answer
    It's not Trumps fault like they beat the drum all last year....

Realistically it was the fax and email...now all the online bill pay. Nearly everything is now available to go paperless

USPS got behind like Walmart did when Amazon took over online shopping
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a