RTi800's

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Hello all,
These where one of the most admired speakers of their time for Polk audio. They upgraded the Tweeter and released a new Blue Driver. The Grills where also extended down to the bottom I think they where 2 piece.
Anyway What are they going for a clean pair?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Under 200

Rt800i
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    Options
    Gotcha
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    I looked at a pair today, they where in fair condition but asking Mint price. They wanted $200 for a pair with wear marks all around the top and the Laminate coming off the bases. They looked like they might have been standing in water but the water marks on the base. The Grill drivers and tweeters all looked good but the cabinet was slightly ruff. They offered them to me for $150 but I'm not interested in fair condition speakers. If they where mint, I would have paid the $200 asking price.
    Dan
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I loved mine. I liked them better than the RT1000's. If you can find some nice ones, you won't regret it.
  • mantis
    Options
    I had the RT1000p's when they first came out. I'm bored sitting at home and was just looking around Facebook market place and saw a few pairs of RT800i's. I've always liked the older RT line and I figured if I could score a clean great condition pair, I could use them in the basement or Garage. Not a big deal just was surprised on the condition people keep their stuff in. All my stuff is mostly in like new condition no matter how old it is.
    Dan
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I bought a pair of RT800i brand new in late 2000. I also bought a CS400i center channel and later, RT35i for the rears. I liked them a lot, but a friend wanted to buy them about 7 years ago. Since I was using a pair of PSW450 subs with them at the time, I sold them for $250 and bought a pair of RT55i for $150 on this forum to replace them in my HT. They had the exact same drivers in a smaller cabinet. I think the subs more than made up for the difference in the low end.

My friend is still using the RT800i in his 2 channel setup, and the RT55i pair are now being used in my 2 channel condo system at our winter residence. I stll use the CS400i and PSW450 pair in my HT, but the front and rears have been replaced by EPI 180 and EPI M90 pairs.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I bought a pair of RT800i brand new in late 2000. I also bought a CS400i center channel and later, RT35i for the rears. I liked them a lot, but a friend wanted to buy them about 7 years ago. Since I was using a pair of PSW450 subs with them at the time, I sold them for $250 and bought a pair of RT55i for $150 on this forum to replace them in my HT. They had the exact same drivers in a smaller cabinet. I think the subs more than made up for the difference in the low end.

My friend is still using the RT800i in his 2 channel setup, and the RT55i pair are now being used in my 2 channel condo system at our winter residence. I stll use the CS400i and PSW450 pair in my HT, but the front and rears have been replaced by EPI 180 and EPI M90 pairs.

Glad you’re still rocking those rt55is Carl! Those are such fun speakers, I am tempted to get some for my HT, but I’m pretty happy with what I currently have...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options

I had a VERY similar setup in our HT for many years. Had the RT800i fronts, a CSi40, FXi50 surrounds, and RT35i rears. Loved that setup! IIRC, sold the entire set for around $500 or $600 about 8 or so years ago. Replaced with Boston Acoustics that we had for 3 or 4 years. Have been running Polk LSi7 fronts, LSiM704c center, 80FX/LS in-ceiling surrounds, and 700 LS in-ceiling rears. Progressively a step up, but those old RT speakers were no slouch!
  • mantis
    Options
    The RT series speakers where fun. They where not the best speakers but they are the ones that really got me going. Honestly my love started at the RT's in the RT16's. I wanted them so bad. I had to wait to save my pennies to grab a pair. When I finally had enough money to buy them, Polk discontinued them and came out with the new line. RT600-RT800-RT1000p-RT2000p-RT3000p. I was disappointed that the RT16's where gone and The Whiz didn't have any in stock anywhere they where all sold out. Bryn Mawr Stereo which is where I shopped back then moved to Boston Acoustics which also sucked because I would have preferred to buy them there.

I purchased the Rt1000p's as I was told they where the direct replacments of the RT16's , where a better sounding speaker , now have built in subs and I wouldn't need an external sub for a 5.1 setup.

Dan
  • canehdian
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this, I just bought some rt1000p's any suggestions for a center to match? I have a klipsch center, but I find its pretty harsh
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @canehdian CS400 or CS400i, if you can find one.
    Alea jacta est!