Can't remove woofer grills from my Polk Audio LSi15 speakers

Options
I got a pair of Polk Audio LSi15s around 2003 that were formally store demo speakers. They have served me well but I want to upgrade the wolfers. I can't get the woofer grills off and have torn up the fabric trying. There is a little molded plastic tab in the bottom of the ring that holds the fabric. I used a metal pick, I tried a thin metal drywall spatula, working it all the way around. I hooked up a slide to the metal pick and hooked the pick end under the tab and hammered it to the point that the wood sides started to separate. I then got a wood working clamp and made a elevated brace and slid one end of the camp under the plastic tab and then clamped it against the brace. It just started to crack the plastic tab.

Any other ideas? Were the woofer grills on the demo speakers glued in or something? I am just outside Baltimore, MD. Is there a place I can bring them in to to have this done?

As a side note - They sounded fairly good on my old Pioneer Elite receiver of the same vintage. I replaced that with an Emotive XMC-1 (GEN I), XPA-2 (Gen II) amp and XPA-3 (Gen II) amp and I couldn't believe the sound was coming out of the same speakers. Night and day improvement. I am running a Velodyne SPL 1200 Sub which has strong tight bass but I am hoping the upgraded woofers in the LSi15s will improve the overall bass further.

Thanks for your help with this. Big Polk fan!

Comments