SVS 2000 Series Subwoofers on Sale

Options

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    -3db is 19Hz on the SVS
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    Trey, 50Hz is the crossover...everything below that goes to the sub.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    Thumping...boomy? Turn the volume on the sub down.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    Options
    Gotcha bottoming out to me was the driver was at its limits, makes sense now
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    My bad, Trey...I worded that poorly, and after too much tequila :#

Actually Jesse, I wanted to hear the thumping. I turned off my power amp so I could just hear the subs and compare, so I turned those up a bit on some low frequency, bass-heavy songs like Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by Bela Fleck.

My wife is out running some errands this morning, so I've been testing. Probably no surprise to anyone here, but the SVS is the winner compared to the Klipsch. The Klipsch puts out good SPL, and different tones are distinguishable, but the SVS sounds more like an actual string bass, or whatever bass instrument is playing. The Klipsch just puts out a low note. The SVS is tighter and quicker as well, whereas the Klipsch is a bit loose with some slop.

You don't know what you don't know until you know. Honestly, I could have probably been quite happy with the Klipsch, but now after a comparison, I'll be keeping the SVS. The Klipsch is meant for HT use, and probably decent for that, but the SVS is clearly better for music. The price and size of the SB-2000 hit a nice sweet spot for me.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Those JM Lab speakers put out some good quality bass too. I find the SB2000 fills in the bottom end very nicely, especially with two of them complementing each other. To me they are "good enough" for home theater but ideal for music even with large main speakers in a fairly large room. The special feet SVS sells separately makes them even better.

I originally got mine to keep pace with the fast bass from a pair of SDA 2.3TL speakers that I could not place optimally close to the front wall of my home theater system.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    u2htiiayvljs.jpg
    brand of rack on right side of photo? Thanks and congrats on the SVS. I’ll take two PBs and one SB... one day😕

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Looks like a Salamander of a home brew version of one to me.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Thanks! The rack is a Salamander Archetype 5.0 in cherry.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    But, the bottom of the range has already made itself known to me, with the Klipsch bottoming-out at 40Hz, and the SVS at 50Hz. However, the musicality (and overall sound) between the two is still in question. Doing an A/B between subs is tough!
    My bad, Trey...I worded that poorly, and after too much tequila :#
    Yeah, I think many were ready to say something might be wrong in the setup. They do about 109dB at 50Hz and one of the guys over on Home Theater Shack measured two SB-2000's flat to 9Hz in his room! The SB-2000's are nice sounding and performing subs.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Yes, what I meant to say is the low-pass filter goes down to 50Hz on the SVS, and 40Hz on the Klipsch. Of course neither of those numbers has anything to do with the ultimate bottom-end of the speaker, so not really sure what I what thought I was trying to convey at that point in the evening :#

One final thought on the Klipsch KSW-10: it does have this nice little feature :D
    gdptkn9u9p1s.jpg
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The special feet SVS sells separately makes them even better.

I added them to my HSU sub, highly recommend.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The special feet SVS sells separately makes them even better.
    I added them to my HSU sub, highly recommend.
    Another cool thing about those SVS feet you guys mention is that they come with hardware for M6, M8, and 1/4-20 threaded inserts.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options
    Yes, what I meant to say is the low-pass filter goes down to 50Hz on the SVS, and 40Hz on the Klipsch. Of course neither of those numbers has anything to do with the ultimate bottom-end of the speaker, so not really sure what I what thought I was trying to convey at that point in the evening :#

One final thought on the Klipsch KSW-10: it does have this nice little feature :D
    gdptkn9u9p1s.jpg

Man if they go to 11, I need one of those!
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I’m bumping a pair of the PC 2000’s in my HT set up and movies are sure a lot better ever since! I don’t see much urgency in the current sale pricing but even at 750 a pop it’s a great price !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I realized tonight that I missed it by that much.
    urwobgad37p6.jpg
  • Nightfall
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Your grill is upside down, it's a SAS now

• jdjohn
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Your grill is upside down, it's a SAS now
    Exactly my point ;)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    SAS...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Well that sucks you just sold all your stuff, the new house is far too small for that you'll warp your rafters. Better send it to Illinois I'll take care of it until you find a bigger house.

>:)
  • msg
    Options
    Nice, Ken! Shoulda got the SAS like Jody, though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I can fix it for ya ;)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,657
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well that sucks you just sold all your stuff, the new house is far too small for that you'll warp your rafters. Better send it to Illinois I'll take care of it until you find a bigger house.

>:)

Santa also brought....

cxrvua5d9r2n.jpg
  • msg
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I knew you were emoh, and now there's a photo to prove it!

Nice! S20s or S15s?
    I like the Signatures. I bet that's a nice combination with the SVS.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,657
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I knew you were emoh, and now there's a photo to prove it!

Nice! S20s or S15s?
    I like the Signatures. I bet that's a nice combination with the SVS.

S20's. Can't wait to get them all hooked up
  • Nightfall
    Options
    How do you like that center with all the tiny drivers? Does it sound like it's a compromise?

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Very very nice Ken. You got a great Santa on that coast

Personally for a center I would not say it's a compromise. I've never felt my Polk cs350 center was a compromise. Sure it's not going to go real low but most everyone cuts them off at 80hz.
  • msg
    Options
    Nice! The S20s are a really nice all 'rounder.
    I'm curious to hear what you think of the S35 as well. I always loved the design of that speaker, but never had the opportunity to hear one
    I disabled signatures.