Part Number for Lsi9 crossover circa 2004

Options
Looking online for 2 crossovers for Lsi9. I see some on Ebay , but the model/part number in the for sale ad is RT12/RT16. I have a number written on a piece of paper RE 3608-1 That , I might have gotten from tech support. Without having the expertise to test the board / capacitor specs, Can a visual for burned areas or swollen tops on capacitors be a good way to know if they are the soUrce of my poor sound 16 YEARS OF PERFECTION, THEN OVERNIGHT... UFFF... BAD

Comments

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    edited November 2020
    Options
    What parts are burnt on the crossovers you have now ? Have you taken them down for a look ? Can you take a pic or two and post it here ? Kind of difficult for me to think that your networks went bad overnight. Not to say that did not happen. What kind of amplifier are you using with them. Finding a set of LSi9 networks might not be so easy. Polk no longer carries them. Perhaps we can help. Oh, and welcome to Club Polk.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    but the model/part number in the for sale ad is RT12/RT16

Obviously not LSi9 crossovers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• caryb
    caryb Posts: 32
    Options
    VSAT88 THANKS. I blew one tweeter agyer I performed an auto accousyic calibration. I had no sound. Turned up the volume on my pioneer Elite Reciever vsx 54TX, then used input selector and WOW huge volume ! Turned down immediately. Did not notice the bad sound till next day. One tweeter iss dead. Ordered two online ..waiting.. but sound is not great so was thinking maybe bad capacitors on crossover, but do not know how to test. Board looks good. Lol I can not figure out how to get photos here om my Samsung 9 attached to my reply.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    No need assume the capacitors are bad. lets start with the simple stuff. do you have a digital volt ohm meter ?
    If not can you borrow one ?
    How do you know for a fact the tweeters are bad ?
    I see nothing obvious wrong with the crossover but I had hoped for some pictures showing the components on the boards. Especially the white sandbox resistors. There should be a three ohm 5 watt resistor in the tweeter section of the xover. That needs to be checked. If you see an electrolytic that has vented then you can bet it is bad and must be replaced. Those yellow ones are 'Mylar" polyester film. and they do not go bad easily. However honest fact is that all the capacitors need to be replaced by now. They get out of spec over the years, well, the electrolytics for sure.
    Your Elite Receiver vsx 54TX should play those two speakers at volume pretty well as long as, well you don't like to get drunk and turn it up so loud the thing starts distorting/clipping. If you are using that receiver with a bunch of other speakers at once I do not know. Could put a strain on it that would cause clipping and that could have fried the three ohm 5 watt sandbox resistor or the tweeter/tweeters or both. Take nothing I say about the Elite Reciever vsx 54TX as gospel. I know little to nothing about "surround sound" stuff as I care little to nothing about that kind of audio set up. Please forgive I do not mean to offend. Check on those things and we will walk on from there. Yes...A reference to Boston...
  • caryb
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Thanks. I do have a meter. I pulled each speaker driver and both tweeters from the cabinents and hooked them up one by one directly to a feed from the receiver. One tweeter was really realy distorted at low volume. As I slowly turned it up , I visually saw " arching/ sparks in the cooper coil tgen it died . My ohm meter showed no reading on that one T heother does not sound great , but it is producing sound. I PUT THAT one back into the cabinet as well as all tge other speakers. I will pull the other crossover now. I HAVE A POWERED Polk psw 404 and am only using the two Lsi9 on stands .. no other speakers. I like stereo. Now, the Pioneer amp has a setting 8 ohm is default the "anything other than 8, set the Pioneer to 6 . I have had no problem for 16 years however when changing rooms a recalibrating my system there is a chance that I had it set on 8 when I inadvertently pushed massive power - volume through the speakers for a split second. The Pioneer has cut off protection , but not that fast . I will send some more photos.. nor even sure how I got the others to attach.
    Post edited by caryb on
  • caryb
    Options
    Just pulled the other crossover. NO visual signs of keakage, bukging or burns on board.
  • caryb
    Options
    Good tweeter pwp52sshkit3.jpg bad tweeter= no reading
  • caryb
    Options
    F1nut Yes, I did not know at the time (when I looked at the foe sale post of the Rt12/Rt16 crossover, that those are are speaker models. I assumed that rt 12 was a part number LOL. Why I asked . Thanks for your reply. Polk cust service confirmed that the RT 12/16 crossover would not be compatible with the Lsi9 speaker
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Same mode check across the 5 watt 3 ohm white sandbox resistors on both boards and post back.
  • caryb
    Options
    The two 5 Watt 3 OHM resistors read 3.3 OHM, on one board and 3.2OHM, on the other.
    The two10 watt 1 OHM resistors read 1.2 on one board and 1.3 OHM 's on the other.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    OK, those are within 5/10 % spec so they are OK to use for now. The tweeter section of the xover is what we will work on until we get you back up and running if you still want to do that. After that if you want I can provide some more suggestions if you would like. When do you get your new tweeter in ?
  • caryb
    Options
    Hi Thank You ! Yes, I want to continue to trouble shoot.
    I have two tweeters on the way from the USA to where I now live in Mexico. Maybe , I will get a tracking number from the seller tomorrow. I hope that I will have them here by Tuesday or Wednesday. Nov. 24/25. I plan to replace the dead one first. listen to the system. If still bad, Swap out the other original with the other one that I bought, and see where we are. Listening at lower volume levels is tolerable and * maybe my imagination *, but If I turn the volume up , but not at the level that I am used to, it seems that , gradually the distortion gets worse and the quality of the sound loses that Lsi9 awesomeness. I have not ruled out the possibility of the Pioneer receiver having having a problem or something else on the crossovers.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Good deal ! Sounds like you are exactly where you should be then. I like that, when I am exactly where I should be.

Ist I would like for you to test the receiver outputs for DC offset. Just take the meter and set it to the DC range (on your meter use "DCV 2 POINTS") and with the receiver OFF connect the two leads from the meter to the two terminals marked left front with no speaker hooked up there, just the meter, no other wires connected. Red on Red, Black on Black. This test should be made at the terminals on the back of the receiver where your wires ran/run out to your LSi9s . Do the left side terminals, then the right side terminals. There should be no input into the receiver when you do this test and the volume should be all the way down to 0. You will turn on the receiver with the meter connected and write down the measurement for the left and then the right turning OFF the receiver each time as you move the leads of the meter otherwise something may go PoP.

After this test do you have another set of speakers that you could use to test the sound ? Known speakers would of course be best.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Going to watch "The Crown" on Netflix now but I will continue to check in on you. And thank you for allowing me to be helpful.
  • caryb
    Options
    Ok I tested each of the terminals three times using my meter set on DCV 2 points , with no wires connected to the speaker out terminals. powered off reciever, attach meter. power on-take reading... turn off , repeat ..

right speaker out :
    test #1 meter read.003:
    test #2 reading bounced a bit between .006 and .004.. settled down after
    15 seconds held steady at .004
    test #3 reading was .006 held steady

Left speaker out
    test#1 .006 at first settled at .002
    test#2 .005 bouuncing between .004 &.005 settled at .005
    test #3 .009 to .006 or .005 settled .005
    I did alternate left ^ right for each test
    Fyi I HAD THE RECIVER TURNED OFF AND UNPLUUGED FOR 3 HOURS BEFORE STARTING THE "DC offset test". So do not know if the receiver warming up changed the readings from test #1 to #3.

I do not have extra speakers , receiver or amp. I may be able to track down a musician friend here and see if I could take my speakers to listen at his place ... not sure .....
    " And thank you for allowing me to be helpful." <
    :your statement.. I appreciate your help , and thank you for your time. .
  • VSAT88
    Options
    OK ! You are doing well and so is the DC offset of your amplifier. We want to see as little DC on those terminals as is possible. I would ask you to do the same tests again with the meter set at DCV 200m ( that would be DC millivolts) but if you are reading 009 or less all the time at DC 2 volt range you should be golden. Just wanted to check and see if you had excessive DIrect Current on the outputs of your receiver before you hooked speakers back up to it and played it again. Excessive DC will toast a driver pretty quickly. Just being cautious. Well at this point all I can say is this. Wait until you get your new tweeter/s installed and hook it all up and listen at low volume. In between you may want to get with your friend and see if he has a set of speakers you can try with your receiver. Also I would carefully check all of the settings on your receiver. Make sure that is right too. Lastly, when you get it all back together and are listening post back and see if the problem is solved. If not, at that point we may need to talk about building some new crossovers for your speakers. In any event if you like the sound you get or not you are looking at building the networks soon. Those electrolyte caps are pretty much done for if not done for now.
  • caryb
    Options
    Results with meter set at DCV 200m test each 4 times
    Right > test T1=5.5 T2=6.0 T3=7.5 T4= 8.0
    Left > test T1=5.7 T2=7.1 T3=5.5 T4=6.6
    So, I listened to a few tracks of a well recorded Eagles DVD that I have listed to over 200 times. Yes, one speaker has the bad tweeter installed in the case, but is not hooked up. At low to mid volume, the system it sounded ok, but not like it should. Tweeter may be part of it. But after 10 minutes or so, It seemed that there was more distortion. As I turned up the volume and reached -5 on my Pioneer display , it was even more noticeable. I put it at -4 and put my ear up to each of the 5 speakers . The tweeter very distorted, the high drivers somewhat distorted and the low drivers had very low volume in my opinion. I returned to my "sweet spot" listening area, turned it up to -2 and it was very disappointing. So, yes, I will wait for new (replacement, not new) tweeter(s). Put in one, then , maybe the other after a first listening test. I can say that I never had sound this poor before, unless I had manually screwed up my calibration. Right now, I am listening to the system after performing the auto calibration , using the pro mode, with the speakers set to small so that the powered sub gets the bulk of the bass. (I think that is how it works). I think that I need your advice to preplan rebuilding the crossovers. ..for two reasons, I live on a small island in Mexico and will need to find , or order the parts that you suggest and, then, find someone that can desolder and replace. I could probably manage it my self if I have the correct solder and some flux , but probably best to have a local electronics guy do it . I know a few that work mainly on TV , Microwaves and mini split AC units. I will start a search for some other speakers to test, using my receiver. As far as testing my receiver with other speakers, should I be looking for speakers with any specific characteristics, Like something with a tweeter and driver , or would a monitor speaker work ? Asking because, I am not sure what I might find to use for the test or my Pioneer receiver. Thanks . You are awesome to spend so much time helping and guiding me through this elimination process.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Your test for DC offset are spot on. We look for zero DC on the outputs but what you have there in your tests is great. No problems there. I would wait and put the new tweeter in before I tried listening to the LSi speakers again. A bad tweeter can make a set of speakers sound horrible. As far as planning the new networks there are more than a few options. 1. Build them yourself. 2. Try and rebuild those. No way I would do this. Too much trouble with the glue on the existing xovers. To easy to lift a pad with the heat. Not enough room on the old board for the new parts. That's just me though. 3. Have a professional build you a set like VR3 here on the site. Speakers to use to test the receiver. Do you have rear speakers now in your surround system ? If so, hook them up as your fronts for now. Re calibrate of course for them. Far as helping you. These folks and many others have helped me to no end so I am happy to be able to return the favor !
  • caryb
    edited November 2020
    Options
    VSAT8, I posted some question here locally on some Facebook groups looking for 2 loaner speakers. I run only my 2 LSi9 speakers with a Polk powered sub. I do not have any other speakers. I may have a lead on some tomorrow. If the crossovers need rebuilding ,I have been directed to the one and only man on the island that is trusted to do that type of work. I would need a parts list to take to him so that he might be able to find what is needed here in Mexico, or order from "somewhere". Is it recommended to upgrade or just replace with equivalent of what is used in the crossovers now ? One respondent is an audio engineer . He lives in Canada and lives here only a few months a year starting in January. He suggested to also listen to my receiver using headphones to see if there is distortion . I do not have any headphones either. I would need headphones with the larger "phono" type plug (1/4", maybe).

• VSAT88
    Options
    All of that sounds good. The LSi9 crossover schematic/parts list can be found here on the Club Polk website. I will see if I can find it and up it to you or give you the link. Good thinking on the headphone use as well. That would tell you something possibly. I am not sure about that particular receiver but some if not all of the older ones use the preamp section only for the headphone output so if yours is built that way at least you could check that part of the receiver. I hope you find some other Audio But ( like me btw) that would be willing to bring by a set of speakers and hook them up do you could see what's up. Either way if the speakers were mine I would rebuild those networks/have them done. Those old parts are well, old and the electrolytes are almost certainly done for. They were not top quality even new. As far as caps go you could use parts express ( Dayton) , erse, solen, clarity caps, on and on. Those are a few brand names. The larger the capacity the larger the price and usually physical size. I used erse in my last build. Electrolytes for the large values "bypassed" with smaller metalized polypropylene capacitors. Like an erse 100uF electrolyte cap and a earse 60uf cap to make a 160uF capacitor. I would not use bypass capacitors in the tweeter section by the way. That is just an example by the way. I do not think I ever made one up exactly like that to use but it should give you the idea of what I mean. Personally I would spend about 1/3 max of the new price of the speakers themselves and that is if I liked them a lot and intended on keeping them. As above. Use metalized polypropylene capacitors where you can especially in the tweeter section.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Hard to read but you can post if you have too much trouble and I will try and help. I do not have LSi9's mine are 15's so I do not have a parts list for the 9's.
  • caryb
    Options
    Thanks 1just learned that my replacement tweeters will probably arrive next week , possibly Dec. 1 or 2 , 2020.. Ebay ad said shipped from Illinois to Mexico. The tracking number is showing shipped yesterday from Hong Kong, China.. :(
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Oh no. I hope they are the correct ones. Nothing wrong with getting them from China. Just hope there is no mistake about what they are shipping with misrepresentation like that.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I ain't forgot about you brother. let me know if I can be of any farther help after your tweets arrive.
  • caryb
    Options
    I did get the replacement tweeters, installed them, and yes the speakers sounded better, but the distortion problem was not solved. I have so much information about my experiments and new discoveries with other electronics in my listening room, that I wish there was a way to just record audio messages here. But , Bottom line, I am still not sure what the source of the distortion is and or HOW many soueces that there may be. I found and bought 4 Polk Audio studio 2 bookshelf speakers here locally. They are old (February 1993 on the driver). Out of the 4 , was able to tear them apart and get two working well enoough for a test from my reciever. MAN, They sounded almost as good as my LSi9i speakers...... for about 10 minutes, Then about the same distortion retyrned. **** ! thought maybe I freid them. Many more tests of eack speaker sets from a variety of configuations and accoustic set ups & adjustments of my receiver, including a factory reset to as from Factory. Then other problems developed taking priority over futher testing for a while, but these other problems are most likely related... I will continue with another window. below.
  • caryb
    Options
    My laptop computer simply shut down while trying to do an update of a driver , because I was having some issues with it . After 5 days my guru picked it up for repair. That was 7-10 days ago. Still in the shop, but in the meantime, My TV cable modem needed to be replaced, My power surge protector had a strange vibration ( so tested circuits and chnged stero to a differen outlet. My cordless phone needed to be reset numerous times, etc etc There have been 3 power outagges here after hearing explosions outoutside. The power company said trnasformers were the issue. There have also been , (befoe and after the outages, 3 episodes when my power was at 60 volts ( Brown out ) One was 30 hours long, others wer 3 hours or less. We had one hurricane and shortly after another storm...almost hurricane level
  • caryb
    Options
    So I HAD LEFT MY SYSTEM UNPLUGGED AND NOT USED FOR TWO DAYS . I hooked up my LSi 9 speakers , played my refference DVD ( Eagles Hell Freezes Over) and also my Spotify blue tooth refference ( benchmark song - Josie by Steely Dan). Crazy -- It did not sound [too[ bad.. not perfect. but tolerable. Then over the course of 10-15 minutes it improved without any adjustmnts. Do I have a power problem.? Is the reciever damaged? l Are the crossovers bad ¡? I have located an electronics guy here that I will probably have rebuild my crossovers and look at my receiver. It would be nive to hook up a good revier and test the speakers that way... I might do that as well. I have just been pressed for time with a number of issues, includining , but not limited to the sdead computer . My car to shop for AX problems, New windows being installed at rental home. And JUSTNOW, Playing my systrem...I just discovered a rarity....I was going to listen to the DVD, then my spotify via bluetooth ... My recievr has both of those music sources sources on the same input. I did not even think that that was a possiblity. . Going to check that out right now .. Holy CRAP
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Dude, that sucks for your electronics . 1st thing I would do before even plugging any of my equipment in again would be to find and order a reliable power conditioning unit with a voltage meter that I could look at and read any time I wanted. That would be my start with all the electronic failures that you seem to be having. After that we can talk about the rest. I wish you good luck and a great Christmas if you celebrate. Let me know what you decide to do. I am right here with it.