Component Wiring Q?

2»

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    um... raise your hand if you're confused and a little weirded-out...

::raises hand::
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, I was gonna say something tough-guy like, "no but I could break you in half and stick you in a hole" or something but then I wasnt sure if that was supposed to be a swipe at me or just a wierd attempt at a joke that everybody else got but me and I didnt want to appear dim! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I didnt want to appear dim! :D
    too late for that...
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    oh, and jl rules! :p
    ok ok...i just couldnt help myself;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    :D Youre killing me! LOL
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • juggla341
    juggla341 Posts: 17
    edited June 2004
    anyway i think i know how to do it, here is just a few questions. I would need a head unit with 3 outputs correct? One for front speaker, rear and subs?. Also i run power through the car and connect to a fuse / distribution block that takes the one power and runs it to my 3 amps? Im sure id have dimming in the headlights with 3 amps, should i get a capacitor and would i hook it up b4 the fuse dist block. Also im a little confused on ohms can someone enlighten me?
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    yep, you got everything right, cept put the cap in front of the sub amp after the distro block, neither of the other two needs it. actually, putting a cap there can help a lot, but for headlight dimming, ive heard that putting small caps on the headlights themselves helps a lot... just an idea.

ohms - a measure of resistance to electrical current. a standard amplifier will put out more power into a lower load (lower ohms), up to a point. you can change the resistance presented to an amp by wiring speakers in different ways (this generally applies only to subs).

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    My interpretation of ohms for guys like me that aint that bright :cool: :

ohms = resistance
    more ohms = more resistance
    more resistance = less power
    less resistance = more power

Very crude I know but my brain works best when I keep things simple.

• neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    juggy - listen to mac, that's way easier to understand! cept there's limits, but you probably won't hit those if you ask us about wiring.

• MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Unless you get into some wild ****, funky custom systems, you probably wont deal with anything other than 2 and 4 ohms anyway.

Probably the trickiest thing I ever did with ohms was to wire two 8 ohm JL 8W0s mono to a 2 channel amp for a 4 ohm mono load.

And if you were to use a single sub with a dual voice coils and wanted to use a mono amp at 4 ohms then youd have to have 2 ohm coils and wire them in series to get the 4 ohm load.

It can get a little tricky at times but its easy to understand after you mull it over a bit. (unless I just totally embarassed myself and that was supposed to be dual 4 ohm VCs :eek: )

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    you were right
    just dont wire it in parallel...thatll be a 1 ohm load and then youre screwed
    actually...for the couple of weeks i had my 450S because thezeb wouldnt take it back, i was running it 0 ohms for a week and a half trying to blow it...needless to say it was a 2 channel amp and not meant to be run below 4...
    tough little sucker, i was sad to see it go:(
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    I think I told this story before but, a dude I used to work with out in Texas "claimed" to have run an MTX Thunder down to either 2 ohms mono or 1 ohm stereo, I cant remember. Either way it was way lower then it shouldve been. According to him, it performed flawlessly for months and never blew.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    i thought mine died like 15 times but the damn thing just kept going into protection
    then id see my voltage drop and look back and the little red light was still on...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    i was running it 0 ohms for a week
    how'd u manage this? short-circuit? :rolleyes:

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    bridging the channels together
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    zero ohms?????

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Cody, unless you have a short circuit, 0 ohms isn't possible
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    True because it would keep splittin in half and 0 aint half of nuthin'.

4 - 2 - 1 - .5 - .25 -. 125 - so on and so on....

• neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    cept zero

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    i was told putting a single piece of speaker wire and connecting both channels would create a no ohms effect...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    i asked on CAF...ill post the responses on here
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    i was told the ohms would be the resistance of the wire...which is very close to 0
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    a single piece of speaker wire connected to both channels?

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    right...think about it...subwoofers have an impedance of lets say 4 ohms
    thats the load that the subwoofer puts on the amp
    so if you have no load on the amp, or a very small one like the resistance of speaker wire(which is probably as close to 0 as you can get...) then it the speaker wire will 'act' like the sub because thats the only thing putting the 'load' on the amp
    mind you thats not exactly the most correct way of saying it, but the easiest to understand
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Oh, ok. I thought you were saying that you had your speakers somehow wired to 0 ohms. Just a wire would indeed be very close to 0 ohms. But you're comparing two different things there. The wire is 0 ohms of resistance. Speaker ohms measure impedance. Related, but not the same thing. Just a wire wouldn't present any "load" to the amp...

Then maybe I'm still confused as to what you were saying...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    it presents a load, just an infinitely small one...
    and no i didnt have any speakers wired up to it...in fact i had to take out the fuses to my other amps when i was trying to blow that one because it would drop my voltage so much
    on a side note, i went to a car audio shop today and a guy there let me demo his truck and he had a digital voltage reading in his dash and it was bumping almost as loud as mine (well...would but im breaking the subs in again) and his voltage was staying at like 15.1---i asked him if he had multiple batteries and he was like nope, i have an ohio alternator in it though...he turned the bass knob up to try to make the voltage do down but it went to 15.2 from 15.1 instead...it was in park at the time...im getting another battery for my current truck and wiring them in parallel...the next truck is going to have an ohio alt. in it...ive planned on this before, but now its settled...im going with ohio
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    OH! i get it! i didn't catch the part about you trying to blow up the amp!

ok, now you make much more sense :p

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    yeah...thats an important part that you guys missed...i was trying to blow it and there were no speakers connected to it...
    thanks for thoroughly reading my posts guys...i feel very special now...:(
    j/k
    btw, does anyone want to donate to the CNATOTFWSIOLAASAAS fund? (cody needs a new truck on 35s with 6" of lift and a sweet **** audio system)
    -Cody