Component Wiring Q?

juggla341
juggla341 Posts: 17
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was wondering if someone could explain to me how i could hook up a set of component speakers to each of my doors (i got 4)
I would like to hook it up like 2 woofers and 1 tweeter for each door. Im sure ill need to buy a amp but if anyone could help me out with any info, especially if someone here did something similiar. Thanks alot.
Post edited by juggla341 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    so you've got four sets, that is, four mids and four tweets total?

if so: you'll need a four channel amplifier that puts out the rated powerhandling of the components X 4 channels. for example, polk's mm6 system takes 150 watts/crossover, so you'd need an amp that does 150 watts X 4 channels @ 4 ohms @ ~13 volts (some manufacturers list rated power at 14.4 volts, which isnt quite realistic, but the better manufacturers will underrate their amps, sometimes significantly - for example, my C300.2 is rated at 150Wx2, and it has 180Wx2 in reality).

then, once you have your amp, you hook it up to the car. this involves a power wire, ground wire, remote turn-on lead, rca cables, and speaker wires. all of this can be found in an amplifier wiring kit, like this one. if you'd like more amplifier installation details, just ask.

the speakers themselves are wired to the provided crossover. to do this, get appropriate lengths of speaker wire - if the xover is in the back and the speakers are in the front, it's gonna be a lot, so measure it then give yourself a couple feet for slack. the xover will have an input section and two output sections, all appropriately labeled. put the speaker wire in the xover, making sure to match the markings on the wire with the markings on the xover; this way, all the polarities in your setup stay the same. then, run the wire to your speakers through a hole in the door (there's generally a weatherproof tube there already for stock wiring, just use that). repeat this for all four sets of speakers, wiring one xover to each channel of the amp's output.

set the amp appropriately, making sure to use a highpass filter on each channel. for gain setting:

1) turn gains on all amps down
    2) pick just one to tune, it doesn't matter. we'll call it the sub amp. disconnect the rest, either power or speakers, doesn't matter. this is so you don't get confused.
    3) turn your HU up to 80-90%; mine goes to 35 and i turned it up to 30.
    4) pick either a good strong bass beat or (preferably) a bass sine wave, around 50 Hz. rap or hard techno will do too. for a speaker amp, somewhere around 80 Hz is good, or whatever you have it xovered at.
    5) play the music/wave and turn the gains up slowly until it begins to distort; with subs this is relatively easy to hear.
    6) back it down a tad.
    7) repeat with all other amps, without changing the gain on the amps you've already set.
    8) from here on in, never turn the gains up beyond where you've set them. if one amp is too loud, like your mids and highs overpower your subs, turn the gain on that amp down to match the rest.
    9) equalize/shape if needed; attentuate rather than boost if you can. just remember that if your sub amp is at the gain you set it at (it's maximum gain in your current setup) any bass boost will necessitate you keeping the volume down below where it was during the tuning. for example, if the gain on your sub amp is set at 12 'o clock when your hu is at 30, and you then dial in +3 bass on the HU, you'll be limiting your max hu volume to 27-29. if you want to be safe. if you set the other amps properly, you shouldn't have to do this, and if you've only got the one sub amp, it should be more than enough for stock speakers.
    the lower you play your normal speakers, the less power they'll be able to handle. the gain on my amp was at about 4 'o clock when the xover was at 185, and it's at like 11 'o clock now that it's xovered at 75.

you mentioned wanting to use two mids and only 1 tweet per door. that's fine, just don't hook up a tweet to the second xover.

biamping is too expensive here, so nevermind on that.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • juggla341
    edited June 2004
    no i want to put 2 mids and a tweeter in each dorr so i think that would be 4 sets of 2mids and 2 tweets with one crossover and i also have 2 12s and wondering if a cap will be needed?
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    wow... you want 2 mids and a tweet in each of four doors? okay then, that doubles everything above. do the exact same thing, just twice. that's two amps, one for the front doors and one for the rears.

a cap can't hurt for the sub amp. how much power are you feeding the subs? are you getting headlight dimming?

if you're really in to this, you can get a total of 8 mids and 4 tweets, and get three 4-channel amps at half the rated value of each xover. so, if the mm6 system is rated at 150 watts per channel, you're gonna need three 75Wx4 channel amps. then, two of the amps get mids with bandpass filters, and one gets the tweets with highpasses. but, since most amps don't come with bandpass, this probably isnt much of an option.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • juggla341
    edited June 2004
    haha i dont want 4 amps in my car isnt there a way to run the 4 tweets off the cd player and get 2 amps for the 8 mids and my amp for the 2 subs, and im sure ill need a cap. Any more input?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Not saying youre wrong or anything but 2 mids in 1 door is pointless. Now if you were to go with something like a 6.5 midbass, a 4 midrange and a tweeter in each door that would be more practical. But 8 midranges all playing the same frequencies would sound pretty crappy. It is a cool idea and would look good but thats about it.

However if you want to do it you will need 2 amps. A 4 channel that is capable of playing at 2 ohms. Take the Orion 4004. Its 50x4. You hook it up to 8 mids and its 100x4 or 50x8. Then you get the Orion 2002 which is 50x2 and hook it up to your 4 tweeters. Then youll need a sub amp to go with it. That is about the minimum you can get away with. Its also gonna get expensive and be one hell of a power draw.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    im not sure if the momo crossovers can handle a 2 ohm load
    some people do a mid-tweet-mid setup, but only in the front...
    i would scratch the idea dude...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • juggla341
    edited June 2004
    i thought that the polk escapes had 2mids and a tweet in each door
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    you could xover the mids differently... one set is midbass, say 65-250 Hz, then the other is 250-3500 Hz.

no, you cant run tweets off the hu

• juggla341
    edited June 2004
    how would i hook it up if i wanted a mid range, a mid bass and a tweeter, could i use the 2 components or would it be better to do something like a coaxil speaker?
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    If you were wanting to go with a 3 way set up you would need a dedicated midbass speaker that is capable of handling and producing low frequencies. There are quite a few 3 way component systems out ther and something like these would work perfectly (oh and Cody, dont look. Its only gonna piss you off :p ).
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • juggla341
    edited June 2004
    ok thats kinda what im looking for something with 3 speakers, now here is a amp question, would that one line from a lets say 4 @80 amp?
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Im not sure I understood your question. Did you mean, will all three work off one channel of a 4 channel amp? If so then the answer would depend on the amp. If its one that can handle a 2 ohm load easily then yes.

I wouldnt run them off an Alpine V12 for example because even though they can handle 2 ohms their power only goes from like 55 to 70 which aint good and means its struggling.

However an Orion 4004 would handle it all day long. It doubles its power at 2 ohms and will be a better match.

• neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    what's your budget for this? a setup like the one you're looking at can get real expensive real fast.

• juggla341
    edited June 2004
    well i figured if i just put a woofer and tweet on each side of my back door then that would run me around 200 to 250, and if i did a 3 component setup like mentioned b4 that would just be around 250 to 300, plus depending on the power most likely a good 4 @ something amp
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    so your total budget is...? :D

• juggla341
    edited June 2004
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    ah... that makes things more interesting. it's gonna be tough to get four coaxes and an amp there, but let's try, shall we?

with this amp for $270 and 2 sets of the MMC525's for $150 apiece here , plus a wiring kit from here for a mere 24 dollars, and you're at (minus shipping) about $600.

now i have to ask what size speakers you have, cause if they're bigger than 5.25, the price goes up. maybe a lot.

if you want sq, go without rears and we can provide a much better setup within your price range.

• MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Just a thought but for $700 you could have a set of Polk MM6's for $300 and a JL Audio 300/2 for $430. That would be as loud as 4 coaxials at 70x4 and sound about 15 times better provided you installed them properly with vibration damening and a baffle and all. You could also go with a Kicker 450.2 (150x2) for $400 also, but the JL is far superior for $30 more.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    You could also go with a Kicker 450.2 (150x2) for $400 also, but the JL is far superior for $30 more.
    or you could get HiFonics and itd be better than both
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    or you could get HiFonics and itd be better than both
    -Cody

....some would say.....I wouldnt tho.....:D

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    yeah but you dont count...
    j/k bro:)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    yeah but you dont count...
    j/k bro:)
    -Cody

Alright now, one of these days youre going to hurt my feelings. Im quite sensitive ya know. :(

• neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    so you're the "gentle bodybuilder" type then? :p

• MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Blasphemy!!! Im no bodybuilder!! Im a powerlifter! I lift for strength! Bodybuilders are wusses and only want to have pretty abs and be on the cover of magazines! :D

Besides, Im way to ugly to be on any magazine and I could never give up my junk food in order to have the 1% bodyfat. Ill take my cheeseburgers, love handles and 425 lb bench (a little tootin' of thine own horn there)! ;)

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    same difference...
    i can bench like 245...lol
    but i can also run the 400 in 52 seconds and run the 40 in 4.6:)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    And therin lies the problem with being big!

Im very strong yet I cant run to the mailbox without passing out.

My job is killing me right now tho, working 60+ hrs a week so Im getting to the gym maybe once a week lately so Im shrinking down to nothing so pretty soon Ill be able to climb the steps to my apt without having to stop halfway up for a breather! :rolleyes:

• neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    man, i'm at the complete other end of the scale here... i can't do anything that involves anaerobic movement (well, only some things :D), but i do compete in ultra-endurance events. for example, this summer i'll be doing a 24-hour off-road bike race. yeah, yeah, i know, i'm crazy, but that's part of the fun!

except running, i hate running.

rockclimbing, skiing, diving, i'm there... looking at adventure racing too, but ive never tried it (i think that's what it's called... pretty much a race through difficult terrain, where you have to navigate and such)

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    i love running, i do it for fun
    i also love any type of water sports
    especially sailing in the 1 person sail boats(sun fish) and knee boarding...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    I hate running or any aerobics for that matter. Its ok tho cause aerobics are detrimental to strength lifting. Kind of like trying to get 30 miles per gallon out of a 454! I have NEVER taken an ounce of 'roids so I need to fight and scratch for every extra pound I lift so I stay away from the aerobics. So Im destined to always have love handles! ;)

• juggla341
    edited June 2004
    so ur saying you can put 2 component systems on each love handle and easily fit a amp on your ****, and it would sound great?