RTiA9 parallel wiring

Have 4 RTiA9 's and want to run them on a Onkyo txrz820 and crown xls2502 amp, both of which can be set to 4ohms output, can I run them in parallel to make 4ohm input, and will this hurt these speakers, mostly for HT, and some music, they would be hooked up in zone 2 , 2ch.stereo, just want to know if my RTiA9 monsters will survive this Hook up in the crossovers, or will it be ok in this connection . thanks,Ben.

Best Answer

Answers

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    You're trying to run four speakers off of one stereo amplifier?
  • 4 - RTiA9 speakers off a crown xls2502 amp , and Onkyo TX-RZ820 a/v, both will run 4 ohms out, a/v is 130 watts @ 8ohms per channel, 250 watts@ 4ohms. per channel. crown amp is 440watts @8 ohms per channel/ 775watts@ 4 ohms per channel, this should be sufficient power for these speakers, 775÷2=say380watts per speaker from amp alone I assume, but will these speakers handle the 4ohms instead of 8ohms?, Thanks,Ben.
  • Clipdat
    What music are you trying to listen to that requires four speakers? Almost all commercially available music on CD is designed to be listened to using two speakers, not four.

If you are trying to listen to concert DVDs/BluRays then what you'd want is a 5.1 channel setup, not a four speaker setup that you're describing.
  • So I could play all of them as stereo for music and such, because that's the only amp I have for them, already have 5.1 system with monolith 5 channel amp, setting them up in other room for TV and music, they won't be used all the time, have detecated system for that, but wanted to ad a little more to the mix, just don't want to fry my big towers hooking them to 4 ohm supply if it is not a good idea to, thanks.
  • Clipdat
    For stereo music you should be using two speakers, not four.

If you want to use the Onkyo as the preamp, I'd run the pre-outs to the Crown, and then hook up a two of the A9s to the Crown and listen like that.

I'm afraid I don't understand why you'd want to use four speakers for listening to stereo audio.
  • No special reason Just was going to run them all at once for the sound, but wanted to be able to hook up in parallel, for the amp would be able to power them all at once . I just needed to know if 4 ohm's will hurt these, or just stick with 8 ohm set up, thanks.
  • Clipdat
    I believe the only thing you'll be hurting is your ears, but have fun.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    If you want to run all 4 speakers without causing damage to your amp why not run them in series?
  • No not the crown amp it can handle 2ohm loads even so that's not a problem . 3 way speakers I thought you could only run in parallel not in series,. 2 way speakers can be run in series, /series 8+8 =16 ohms/ parallel 8÷2=4 ohm's---- is that correct, ?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Using four speakers defeats the entire purpose of stereo.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • 2 are Left . / 2are right - each speaker 8ohms,. 2+ / 2-. 8 ohm's To. 1+1- 4 ohm's . Left and 2+ /2- ,8ohms to 1+ /1- 4 ohm's right/. Run in parallel. Still stereo just more of it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Stereo: a piece of electronic equipment that plays the radio, CDs, etc., and that uses two speakers for the sound. : a way of recording and playing back sound so that the sound comes from two directions. stereo. adjective.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    edited October 2020
    You might be better off selling the A9s and going for something like this mounted to the ceiling:

3w3f4nv95wyy.png
  • Ya man u my be right, 😁
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I get it sometimes you just need LOUD and feel it LOUD....been dar done it...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I get it sometimes you just need LOUD and feel it LOUD....been dar done it...

You animal, you
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    You have no idea....Grrrrr
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2020
    LOUD it will be if that’s what you want. If you got anywhere NEAR close to 200 watts per speaker, you would be in PAIN!

To each his own...
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work