The phono pre audition continues...

Options
First was the Rogue Ares Magnum.

Next up, I got to borrow ARC Ref 2.

Emma already bought an album to play.

dvwo6ki2e0e7.jpeg
rhcl8uvqd27k.jpeg
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I'd be happy to lend you my diminutive Dynavector P-75 MkII for comparison. It has a special 'Phono-Enhancer' setting that is specially-made for low-load MC carts - naturally with Dynavector cartridges in mind - but it works wonderfully with other brands having low-output MC carts with low impedance.

The MM section is top-notch as well, especially when it is fed by a nice SUT with a MC front-end B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    So much for sticking a fork in ya. Your just getting started. Enjoy !!!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Thx guys

I heard the Ref 2 overnight.

This is in comparison to the Ares I had prior.

It's better if I had both on hand at the same time, but it didn't work out that way.

Bottom line, I felt like the Ref 2 was not to my taste. I felt it was not as musical as the Ares Magnum. I already have a state of the art line stage, the Ref 40, maybe too much ARC is too much. I prefer the sound of a tubey-er phono.

I mean, I could make an attempt for the ARC Ref 2se, the Ref 3 or the 3se... or maybe stretch myself to the ARC 10 phono, but I had so much enjoyment with the Ares Magnum that I really don't see why I need to spend 5 figures on a phono preamp.

I will see if I can audition a Tavish Adagio phono preamp next.

Tavish Adagio
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • jdjohn
    Options
    The final decision may depend on whether you want to scratch the MM itch.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Heard the Tavish today... more musical than the Arc2 but sounded rather tucked in, extension up top was missing.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Thx guys

It's better if I had both on hand at the same time, but it didn't work out that way.

Bottom line, I felt like the Ref 2 was not to my taste. I felt it was not as musical as the Ares Magnum. I already have a state of the art line stage, the Ref 40, maybe too much ARC is too much. I prefer the sound of a tubey-er phono.

I mean, I could make an attempt for the ARC Ref 2se, the Ref 3 or the 3se... or maybe stretch myself to the ARC 10 phono, but I had so much enjoyment with the Ares Magnum that I really don't see why I need to spend 5 figures on a phono preamp.

Tavish Adagio

I purchased a new Tavish Adagio after giving it a good time to come about, and rolling in some very good nos tubes, it still couldn't hold up to the Rogue Ares Magnum.

I returned it within the 30 day trial period.

The only other Tube Phono Pre that I've tried has been a ModWright PH 9.0 Once inserting into the mix, the Ares was sold. Still enjoy the PH 9.0 everyday, it doesn't disappoint.

• jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Options
    Went from a Jolida JD9 MKII (Modified) to the Magnum and settled on some NOS Mullards. Together with my ARC line stage, I’m a very happy camper. I should move that Jolida
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• Joey_V
    Options
    Thx guys

Tavish Adagio

I purchased a new Tavish Adagio after giving it a good time to come about, and rolling in some very good nos tubes, it still couldn't hold up to the Rogue Ares Magnum.

I returned it within the 30 day trial period.

The only other Tube Phono Pre that I've tried has been a ModWright PH 9.0 Once inserting into the mix, the Ares was sold. Still enjoy the PH 9.0 everyday, it doesn't disappoint.

This is very helpful.

I was not convinced with the Tavish base adagio. I contacted Scott re upgrading all caps to mundorfs and the power supply and sut.... but I’m still not sure of the extent of improvement.

Thank you for your comment. That helps me.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    jonicont wrote: »
    Went from a Jolida JD9 MKII (Modified) to the Magnum and settled on some NOS Mullards. Together with my ARC line stage, I’m a very happy camper. I should move that Jolida

Interesting.

I have an Arc linestage too.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Got the dealer to recommend me either VAC or Zesto.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options

Someone mention ZESTO?

I just drove by this Zesto's this afternoon. Good ice cream. It must have been Wednesday in this Facebook photo. Good luck Joey on your quest for a phono-pre.

9x0n5aqova9h.jpg

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Got the dealer to recommend me either VAC or Zesto.
    I know I mentioned it in a PM, but Zesto is what I see in more personal systems that are on the level you are at than most other brands. I haven't had a chance to hear one yet, but I think it should be on the must audition list based on the real world user recommendations.

I still think you should consider getting your ears on some Sutherland gear as well, but it does seem like you're leaning pretty heavily towards a tube phonostage based on what you've been looking at. Nothing wrong with that!

I am curious which record has been your favorite in your system so far?
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Thx buddy
    I’m looking at Zesto for sure.

Re records, I’ve been lucky that all the records I have sound better than their digital counterpart. So as far as favorite, they’re all good
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Currently in a haggling mode with an audiogoner. Zesto Andros 1.2.
    Although a local friend is having to liquidate his system and needs money for a house- also offered me a really good deal on an Rogue Audio Ares Magnum.

Figured I should start here, get used to the system and move up. Apparently, I nitpick everything until I get what I really really want...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Hey Joey, I have this one with the optional external PSU and it sounds great for the price: https://ciaudio.com/product/peq•1-mkii-mmmc-phono-preamplifier
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Hmm very weird.
    Guy with the Zesto blocked me on audiogon in the middle of haggling. We were at 2100 and 2300... I asked him to meet me at 2200, he came back at 2250. When I slept on it, I found out I was blocked.

Weirdo.

Oh well, my local friend is selling and delivering his Rogue Ares Magnum with NOS mullards and telefunkens this lunch time, atleast this will be a good start to my adventure.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Joey, if you feel like you might need a little extra gain, the 12AT7 is a very good sub for the 12AU7. I had good results with this tube.

c6nf2tpc04rc.jpg

• Joey_V
    Options
    I’m setting up the Rogue Ares Magnum as we speak
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    Just buy the Allnic H-8000 DHT phono preamp.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Just buy the Allnic H-8000 DHT phono preamp.

Mixed reviews on Allnic.

Not something I’m willing to risk on something 5 digits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Zesto has landed and it is muy bien.... wow. I believe the Rogue will be for sale very shortly.

s35qbgy8wudz.jpeg
    woc5eg7kckfc.jpeg
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    That is a great looking piece! I love finding beautiful gear that sounds just as good as it looks.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Zesto has landed and it is muy bien.... wow. I believe the Rogue will be for sale very shortly.

s35qbgy8wudz.jpeg
    woc5eg7kckfc.jpeg
    Great looking piece. I'd love to get ears on one some day. One of the most consistently positive reviewed pieces I've seen.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Very impressed with the Andros 1.2. Gets the music just right. I also noticed better listening even at low levels, something I found off with the Rogue Ares Magnum even with rolled tubes.

More listening to be done tonight into the wee hours of the morning.

• Joey_V
    edited November 2020
    Options
    More comparisons had been made the past few nights... usually with me staying up until 6am (I really gotta stop doing that because I'm actually getting tired).

Rogue Audio Ares Magnum with telefunkens and mullards and then rolled back to stock-ish, EH and Tungsol. Neither combination matches the Zesto Andros 1.2 in stock form.

The Zesto is just better at formation of the image and better at keeping any harshness at bay. The stage seems better front to back. Side to side width are probably similar, I can't tell. Better spacing between instruments front to back is what I feel I hear.

The Zesto is also better at low volume listening, something I find myself gravitating towards as I like to listen at night. The Rogue, I feel, needs to hit a certain volume threshold before it really starts going.

The Zesto is also better at higher volumes, if you can imagine Ella and Louis Armstrong (Ella and Louis, Verve reissue, limited edition, stereo) being about 6 feet away from your face....

The Rogue is definitely going to be for sale shortly.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    I'm not surprised as this Zesto is a step above my end game phone pre :#
    Good info! (and congrats)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Joey_V
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    I'm not surprised as this Zesto is a step above my end game phone pre :#
    Good info! (and congrats)

You want the rogue??

U can have it
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I have a Rogue Triton...would love to try the Ares Magnum. In with 54 :)
  • Joey_V
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I have a Rogue Triton...would love to try the Ares Magnum. In with 54 :)

Wait a minute... this was never a karma!