Who uses tone controls

13»

Comments

• 6b10pmg1imso.jpg
    Heavy tone controls today. Setting up for a bbq for dad's birthday with some bose 301 a friend gave me and 25ft of wire to my main amp.

Cranking up the low end was a real game changer.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Hope your dad has a wonderful birthday. What are you going to grill? At first glance I thought who hangs art work, framed photos... on the exterior? On either side of the door. When I enlarged I saw they are windows. I'm working too much!!!! :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2020
    Apropos of nothing -- I like that Royal Oak charcoal. I bought some last spring because... well... it was all the store had :p -- and I decided I like it way better than... well, you know, the other big name in charcoal B)

PS The Bose 301s are perfectly decent little loudspeakers. The midrange in particular stuck me as really quite good on a (dump find) pair that passed through here some time ago. :|

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Solid speaker stands there. Not easy to tip over. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited October 2020
    Currently using a Soundcraftsmen DX-4100 in the shop system. As I cycle through various shop appropriate speakers, I've found the EQ to come in handy.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    When I first received my Mini Dancer 2's they were in my big room with 14' ceilings. I would use the EQ in JRivers to give me a bit of bass boost. I later moved then into a better room and purchased the Dyn C4's and put them into the big room, boost no longer needed
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited October 2020
    Ahh tone controls! :) What a journey!

I remember when I first joined CP, rocking my BSR equalizer with it's characteristic smile on the controls, bright red LED's on the sliders, VFD spectrum analyzer bouncing away, ahh those were the days!

Admittedly you all were very kind not to bash me too hard!

Well I've since learned, and lived, and really, don't use them anymore or miss them.

My Rotel RC1580 pre (now in a box) has tone controls, and a defeat switch. I played around with it to do some rudimentary comparisons, but that's about all.

And, my beloved BSR equalizer, is now retired, and in the box!

Once again, knowledge gained since my tenure on CP. Thank you all! :)
    Post edited by verb on
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Now @mhardy6647 IIRC you posted a link way back on an article that argued toward the benefits of tone controls.

Again, IIRC it supported the use of tone controls to compensate for the irregularities or issues with the listening environment. Not everyone can have an ideal listening room for a variety of reasons.

Unless I'm crazy or imagine that you had posted something like it. :) Help a brother out!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    verb wrote: »
    Now @mhardy6647 IIRC you posted a link way back on an article that argued toward the benefits of tone controls.

Again, IIRC it supported the use of tone controls to compensate for the irregularities or issues with the listening environment. Not everyone can have an ideal listening room for a variety of reasons.

Unless I'm crazy or imagine that you had posted something like it. :) Help a brother out!

If I did, I was being contrarian (moi?)
    ;)

I mean, I might have -- but I am pretty anti tone control at least in the traditional implementation of them. The Schiit Loki might be interesting... and DSP certainly permits one to make more subtle and targeted EQ.
  • verb
    Probably yes! :) Or maybe I was imagining it!
  • I don’t bother using tone control. I find it gets me nowhere.

I suppose that’s why my daughters don’t bother with tone control either.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I seldom do, though on occasion I turn the treble control up a db or 2 due to either a poor recording and/or the fact that I've lost a bit of hearing in the 3-6 kHz range.

This ad on CL made me chuckle, the owner must be a Meghan Trainor fan: :)

https://williamsport.craigslist.org/ele/d/swengel-bsr-eq-stereo-frequency-graphic/7218094953.html

ghcb1nheacr9.jpg

https://youtu.be/7PCkvCPvDXk

What in God's name was that?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.