Apogee Duetta's

Options
Going to audition a pair of first gen Duetta's to possibly replace my SDA 1C's. But not sure if I'm looking in the right direction. I can only go at most 2 ft from the back wall and I don't want to use a sub. Would these still best my 1C's ? Or should I look for something else?
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    How much are they?
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 701
    Options
    One of my faves from back in the day !

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    I have the Duetta 2 in my dedicated room, I'm not sure you are going to get the full potential of them without having them placed at least 4' from the back wall.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    Options
    don't you need a killer ($$$) amp for those?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • invalid
    Options
    I have a krell ksa 300s powering mine, and I could use more power sometimes. I heard a pair of apogee Diva's properly powered with 600 watt audio research 610t monoblocks on the mids and highs and and 700 watt krell monoblocks on the bass panel. The apogee's sound better and better with lots of quality power.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    So my Sony AVR won't cut it. Got it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Your Sony AVR will likely shut down or blow up trying to drive some Apogees.
  • invalid
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Your Sony AVR will likely shut down or blow up trying to drive some Apogees.

It won't shut down with the Duetta they are an easy load just very inefficient if you want any volume out of them. I'm sure audioluvr was just kidding about using an avr.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    It's the ideal placement that finally prevented me from buying these. Just not ideal for my LR which is where I'd want them.

I do have a Sony AVR ! It's in the upstairs of my barn though.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• gyosa
    Options
    How much were they and what condition?
    Refurbished by any chance ?

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • invalid
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    How much were they and what condition?
    Refurbished by any chance ?

Bk
    He should buy them if they were refurbished and being sold at a decent price. It costs a small fortune to have the bass panels replaced, because you can't buy them, you have to have one of apogee's approved installers do them for about $2,500.
  • invalid
    Options
    The bass panels usually aren't bad, but the foam surround deteriorates and they start buzzing at certain frequencies. You can't replace the foam without ruining the bass foil.
  • gyosa
    edited September 2020
    Options
    That’s why I wondering if they had been refurbished.
    They are expensive “project” speakers - but wonderful when working properly.

Buddy of mine had a pair back in the day and they were awesome.
    Probably the best sounding speakers I’ve ever heard.

One of the reasons I’m so in love with the RAAL ribbon tweeter.

Bk

• audioluvr
    Options
    He wanted $1,500 including all the brochures and original boxes. No mods, all original.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• invalid
    Options
    I paid $1550 for my duetta 2's with the boxes and original packaging, $1500 isn't bad for a pair of duetta's with all the original packaging. Usually they are well taken care of when they still have the original boxes and packaging.
  • invalid
    Options
    That’s why I wondering if they had been refurbished.
    They are expensive “project” speakers - but wonderful when working properly.

Buddy of mine had a pair back in the day and they were awesome.
    Probably the best sounding speakers I’ve ever heard.

One of the reasons I’m so in love with the RAAL ribbon tweeter.

Bk

They do sound better than my Polk sda2A TL's, but the 2A's definitely have more punch you in the chest bass.
  • gyosa
    Options
    That’s the nature of the beast ..

But , ohhhhhhh, those liquid highs and mids ....

Bk

[/quote]

They do sound better than my Polk sda2A TL's, but the 2A's definitely have more punch you in the chest bass.[/quote]

• invalid
    Options
    That’s the nature of the beast ..

But , ohhhhhhh, those liquid highs and mids

Truly wonderful sounding and the bass is more detailed than any speaker I've ever owned.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Good information.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Well I broke down and went and spent some time demo'ing with the owner to see if these would be a good candidate for replacing my 1C's.

They were in great physical shape and I noticed no buzzing or flaws in function. He was running them with a vintage pair of NEC M50 monoblocks and playing MP3 music via a Sonos. My first impression was that they didn't need a sub as they produced plenty of low low frequency output. Other than that I was not impressed by what I was hearing. The mids and highs were harsh and exhausting to listen to for very long and there was absolutely no imaging at all. It's as if everything was coming out of a small boombox.

Now I don't know if this was because they are old and were in dire need of a crossover rebuild or they were revealing how horrible the amp, pre and source was. Needless to say I walked away comfortable knowing I don't have to move speakers when I get home.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Gardenstater
    Options
    MP3s? Some people really know how to demo a speaker.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • audioluvr
    Options
    MP3s? Some people really know how to demo a speaker.

Right? I was thinking about bringing my Belles 350A Reference and the Rotel pre I picked up here but the guy said he had it set up right for a demo and texted me a pic of his other ones being run off McIntosh monoblocks.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• invalid
    Options
    Something is a miss, did he have the Duetta bi- wired, and what position was the switch on the back of the speaker set to? The only speakers I've ever heard that have better imaging is my sda 2a TL's. Mp3 pretty much says it all though, he must not have known what he was doing.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    They were bi-wired. I didn't look at switch position but he said he's owned Apogees for over 20 years so I'd think he would set them up right. Part of me thinks they were just revealing the imperfections of the source but them sounding like they were playing mono recordings bothered me that's why I looked in the back to make sure the speaker cables were hooked up right.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC