New wheels on the family sedan

I put some new wheels on my 4-door family sedan and then took some photos of it back on Labor Day.

Here's what the stock wheels looked like:

9tg1ii8nbu0e.jpg

New:

nomwoy5h6bbj.jpg
nw1om38g8g57.jpg
cm41b63u8sco.jpg
qd8x7fio94b6.jpg
r06ga3s1x9m6.jpg
qlkc2k2dbp8d.jpg
v38640uprscv.jpg
sizkher8rerp.jpg
92d31pqbo6nn.jpg

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Outside of the paint... what's the difference? o:):*
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited September 2020
    Outside of the paint... what's the difference? o:):*

The number of spokes, for starters.

ENLARGE

Stock:
    2018_WRX_Limited_wheel.jpg?v=1582750671

New:
    ENKEI-WHEELS-gtc02-hyper-silver-side-2.jpg
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    Hot rod Subbie for a family truckster? Nice. Is that a forged wheel?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Beautiful wheels

And love the stance of the car. John probably has a stock Town and Country so don’t listen to him.

That shot from the tailights angle is killer. The car sits beautifully. My Pop used to have the WRX back in 2007 and that was so fun to drive.

Congrats.
  • Those wheels look great! The WRX is a badass buggy!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    edited September 2020
    Nice, Drew - Sharp!

Did you stay stock, or go slightly wider, taller, or with any offset?

I don't know much about wheels, but been wanting something a touch taller and wider to fill out the wheel wells a little bit on mine. Feel like it looks like I'm riding a roller skate sometimes. The ones with metal wheels. But I'd prefer more rubber not less like you get in going with a taller wheel, shorter sidewall.

Looks good. The brighter finish suits.
    I disabled signatures.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Looks better with a little bright work! Aftermarket exhaust, too?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    maxward wrote: »

I agree with this. Not a fan of the dark rim trend on cars and family trucksters to make them look "sporty" or whatever without really providing any benefit other than hiding brake dust.

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    edited September 2020
    Looks good, are they lighter than the stock wheels? They look like they would be.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2020
    Looks great! They remind me of the TSWs I put on my G35 when I had it, but yours look nicer. 05z02v56rpkt.jpeg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I'm always amazed that so much weight and force is applied to rims and those spokes, with so little material between you and a bad outcome.
    Looks very nice Drew
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I also like silver or chrome rims.

They look "right" on your sedan.

I agree with others above, nice family sedan. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Beautiful wheels

And love the stance of the car. John probably has a stock Town and Country so don’t listen to him.

That shot from the tailights angle is killer. The car sits beautifully. My Pop used to have the WRX back in 2007 and that was so fun to drive.

Congrats.

I have a Jaguar XJ, and a Mercedes GLC300... 2021 C8 Corvette on order. :p

I like the wheels too, and love Subaru. I was just doing some late-nite chop-busting. :pB)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    edited September 2020
    I actually liked the stockers better, something about the dark wheels on wrb looks great. But fantastic look nonetheless. I had a 2011 for a few years. Was stage 2 with a bunch of suspension work. Loved the car but wa shutting up their in miles and the ej255 engine series seemed to be made of glass

ycoxdqjmc68h.jpeg
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Beautiful wheels

Congrats.

I have a Jaguar XJ, and a Mercedes GLC300... 2021 C8 Corvette on order. :p

I like the wheels too, and love Subaru. I was just doing some late-nite chop-busting. :pB)

Slow down John. You don’t have to prove anything here man. We know you have everything.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    The dark stockers do look good on that white car, but Drew’s new ones look great on his.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    msg wrote: »
    Jeremy what's with that bunch of bananas hanging in your garage?
    Looks great! They remind me of the TSWs I put on my G35 when I had it, but yours look nicer. 05z02v56rpkt.jpeg

It's for the Gas Monkey...duhhhh!!

fxdv47ytclba.png

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Looks are deceiving Scott it's a rag
    LMAO
  • msg wrote: »
    Jeremy what's with that bunch of bananas hanging in your garage?

Treats for the grease monkey who used to hang out there.

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Those rims look sweet Drew! Love the Subie as well. :)

John, I’m gonna need to see some pics of that Vette when it arrives.
  • nooshinjohn
    It will be a year out... we saw one like this today.

zscy6do1q3vn.jpeg

My wife has not seen the car yet in person, and my son was yelling “look mommy, it’s daddy’s car!

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Looks great!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    It will be a year out... we saw one like this today.

zscy6do1q3vn.jpeg

My wife has not seen the car yet in person, and my son was yelling “look mommy, it’s daddy’s car!

Love the blue... that's my kinda blue on a sports car.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    edited September 2020
    fish357 wrote: »
    Hot rod Subbie for a family truckster? Nice. Is that a forged wheel?
    Hah, the commentary about it being a 4-door family sedan is just because I'm normally averse to 4-door vehicles, and I very much miss my last car (Scion FR-S) which I traded in to get the WRX.

It is not in fact a forged wheel, but they do use Enkei's "MAT" process, which is a flow forming technique. https://enkei.com/shop/wheels/racing/gtc02/ https://enkei.com/engineering/

msg wrote: »
    Nice, Drew - Sharp!
    Did you stay stock, or go slightly wider, taller, or with any offset?

I don't know much about wheels, but been wanting something a touch taller and wider to fill out the wheel wells a little bit on mine. Feel like it looks like I'm riding a roller skate sometimes. The ones with metal wheels. But I'd prefer more rubber not less like you get in going with a taller wheel, shorter sidewall.

Looks good. The brighter finish suits.
    Hey Scott. The stock wheels were 18x8.5 +55 (offset) and these are 18x9 +42. Tire size remained the same, 245/40. So, the visual difference is slight, but noticeable. Slightly wider, and slightly more "poke" - 17mm more to be exact.

Take a look here and find the specs on your current wheels: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239019

Then you can do some searching and find out what you can do to get a fitment that fills out the wheel wells, as well as gives you the road feel that you're looking for. You might even find that another year's wheels align more closely with what you're looking for. And since a lot of people upgrade from their OEM set, those can be found cheap via eBay.
    maxward wrote: »
    Thanks! That's what I was most excited about, I really like the way the silver pops on the WRB compared to the darker colored wheels. And yes, it's the Fujitsubo Authorize S axleback/rear muffler replacement.

Looks great! They remind me of the TSWs I put on my G35 when I had it, but yours look nicer.
    TSW makes a nice looking wheel, and I've always loved those Nissan G cars. They're so fast and have amazing handling!
    Milito wrote: »
    Looks good, are they lighter than the stock wheels? They look like they would be.
    Stockers are 24.46lbs, these are quoted by the manufacturer of having an "estimated weight" of 20.39lbs.
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I actually liked the stockers better, something about the dark wheels on wrb looks great. But fantastic look nonetheless. I had a 2011 for a few years. Was stage 2 with a bunch of suspension work. Loved the car but wa shutting up their in miles and the ej255 engine series seemed to be made of glass

ycoxdqjmc68h.jpeg
    Great looking WRX, Zach! Very clean! What wheels are those exactly? I thought they looked like Prodrive at first glance. Got any more pics?
  • Clipdat
    edited September 2020
    2021 C8 Corvette on order. :p

Congratulations, John! I didn't know you had officially ordered one. Hopefully @verb was able to get you his employee discount.

Looking forward to the official thread once it gets a little closer to the delivery date. Great color choice as well.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice looking wheels Drew!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.