RT1000i subwoofer amp blown, circuit board fine?

Options
Hi guys, I have 2 RT1000i's that I haven't used for a while. 1 seems to works great, the other, not so much. When I fire up the sub there is a loud and pervasive humming coming from the amp. I'm sure it's not the driver as it continues even when the source volume is lowered. I checked the fuse and it seems fine. I took the amp apart and looked at the circuit board, and there's nothing that seems obviously blown. At first I thought it was the large capacitors, but after looking at the board on the working one, it seems the substance under the capacitors is just glue to keep the capacitors from jiggling around. Is there anything here which looks obviously broken? Also, I know of the repair shop on ebay, just would prefer not to spend $80 on a speaker that's worth about $100.

mqgxo23s6oal.jpg
l8ra88orbjan.jpg
7hiwho2c99ll.jpg

Comments

• jordanmreed
    jordanmreed Posts: 4
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Actually, after reading some more threads, it seems likely it's those big capacitors which are the problem and they probably leaked, not adhesive... which leads me to the question why is my other speaker fine despite the leak?

Edit: Now I'm not sure again... Looked at old pictures on eBay, they seem to have the gunk around the C20 and C21..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Yes they dry out and leak they need replacing. Easy job.
  • jordanmreed
    edited September 2020
    Options
    thanks.. while I'm doing that, are there any others I should replace proactively? Thanks
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2020
    Options
    They're cheap enough do them all. Get some good ones and just follow what is there. If you have room you can say go from 25volt to 35volt if that is all that is available keeping the same microfarads. Most Nichicon are good bet as well as Elna Silmic II
    or Cerafine's. Do not go down in voltage, the same or more
    Good Luck.
  • jordanmreed
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I did the fix, and it works perfectly now! Thanks so much for the help! Out of expediency and the fact this was my first time soldering, I decided to just replace the big capacitors, and that seemed to do the trick. When I removed one, it seemed that underside of one had clearly signs of physical damage on the underside where it had blown out. Check out the pic attached to see what I mean. If anyone is in doubt of doing this fix, it is super-easy, and costs about $30 between the capacitors, solder, and the soldering iron, so definitely give it a shot. 56eeax991e8s.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Something happened to that one :smile:
    Very good to hear