SDA 2B placement

Hi, I currently have my stereo equipment in a location where one of my Polk SDA 2B speakers backs up to a wall where there is a return for our air conditioning (pic attached). From what I understand, these speakers really need ideal placement in order to get the best from them, and the open cavity behind this speaker certainly is not what you want. My SDA 2B's are pretty old, and I'm thinking about spending some money to upgrade them. But if I have to keep them placed like this, is it worth doing? Or should I consider a different model speaker in this room?

Thank you,
Greg
Polk SDA 2B, Polk CSi A6, Polk 70-RT, NAD T758 V2, NAD 7400PE, Cambridge Audio azur 752BD

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 17,942
    Upgrade them and do the 4.1tl mod on them for super excellent results. 3 to 6 inches off the wall gives good bass results and minimum 3 to 4 feet of side clearance is good rule of thumb.
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,946
    I don't think the return will significantly impact the performance. Upgrade as you see fit!
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,473
    I wouldn't be worried about that vent either, upgrade away.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 14,148
    I used to have the SDA 2B speakers. Unfortunately, the sides warped off, so I bought PSB Synchrony One speakers to replace them. That was a good upgrade. Speaker technology is like other technology. It improves.
    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thank you for the replies. In general, the room they're in is not as good as where they were in my previous house. I know that I am not enjoying the sound of the SDA 2B's as much as I used to. What I don't know is how much of that is due to the room change and how much is due to the speakers being older and needing component replacement on the crossovers. I guess that question will be answered if I replace the components and hear the results; I just hope that the room itself is not mostly to blame because this is where they're going to stay. Aren't these speakers more picky than many others about the room they're in? That's my main concern about keeping them.

Greg
    Polk SDA 2B, Polk CSi A6, Polk 70-RT, NAD T758 V2, NAD 7400PE, Cambridge Audio azur 752BD
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,420
    edited September 2020
    Rooms make a huge difference regardless of the speaker. SDA's are not that picky, but there are certain guidelines one should follow for the best results. 5 to 6 inches off the back wall, at least 3 feet from the side walls, 6 to 8 feet apart and no toe in. Other speakers may need to be 3 or 4 feet off the back wall, yet others need various degrees of toe in, etc., etc. Basically, every speaker requires careful set up for the best results.

Square rooms are a complete nightmare, so if yours is all I can say is get used to headphones.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46ECH46E Posts: 2,933
    As mentioned above. That 3 to 4 ft side wall clearance is crucial. Because I could not make that clearance I had to let go a mint pair of SDA SRS 2. I will probably regret that move in a few years.

• CH46E wrote: »
    As mentioned above. That 3 to 4 ft side wall clearance is crucial. Because I could not make that clearance I had to let go a mint pair of SDA SRS 2. I will probably regret that move in a few years.

Looks like I’m in the same boat with the same speakers at the current house. Sigh ...
  • Thanks again for the replies and advice. Even though my room is not ideal (kind of reflective/bright sounding), I am able to have my SDA 2Bs 6-8 feet apart, 6 inches off the back wall, and have a few feet of open space on each side. So I'm going to go for it and upgrade the crossovers and tweeters. I've never heard what the TL version of my speakers sounds like so I'd have to assume that I'll like the sound better, but with all of the positive reviews about the TL mod I feel like I should go for doing that also.
    edited September 2020
    Oh man. I feel so bad right now letting my SRS2 go. I did get a fully acoustic treated room from the owner, designer and mixer of Studio IMA305 for them. Im going to reach out and see if I can get them back tomorrow.

It looks like he does not have them in optimal position anyways. He did tell me he was looking for a large presentation speaker for looks in his studio.

I hope I can get them back.

0i8b6rdf69f6.jpg
    1rxz6kskw5vx.jpg

Those are my old SRS 2 in a Miami Studio.
    rhythm wrote: »
    Thanks again for the replies and advice. Even though my room is not ideal (kind of reflective/bright sounding), I am able to have my SDA 2Bs 6-8 feet apart, 6 inches off the back wall, and have a few feet of open space on each side. So I'm going to go for it and upgrade the crossovers and tweeters. I've never heard what the TL version of my speakers sounds like so I'd have to assume that I'll like the sound better, but with all of the positive reviews about the TL mod I feel like I should go for doing that also.

You don't need them off the wall behind them. If you have 2ft from side walls its worth a shot buddy. Do it!
  • I haven’t soldered much and the little that I did was a long time ago. So I may be looking to have someone do the crossovers for me. I like doing projects myself but I’m not sure I want to use my crossovers for soldering practice.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,420
    Contact member westmassguy, he'll take care of you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Contact member westmassguy, he'll take care of you.

Done. He got back to me with a lot of helpful information and bunch of options regarding component choices. Regardless of which options I go with on the components, I'll be doing the 'TL mod' and buying some RD0198 tweeters from Polk. Looking very forward to having this done and having a 'new' set of speakers in my house!
  • rhythm wrote: »
    Thanks again for the replies and advice. Even though my room is not ideal (kind of reflective/bright sounding), I am able to have my SDA 2Bs 6-8 feet apart, 6 inches off the back wall, and have a few feet of open space on each side. So I'm going to go for it and upgrade the crossovers and tweeters. I've never heard what the TL version of my speakers sounds like so I'd have to assume that I'll like the sound better, but with all of the positive reviews about the TL mod I feel like I should go for doing that also.

So how has that worked out? Figure if yours not so great, then I am screwed.

After 2 house moves, I have a FROG now, roughly 12x20 with 5.5’ vertical knee walls and 2.5’ 45* angles/fillets to the 8’ h ceiling. So I am even more constrained for width on the (preferred) short wall, and the long wall will have built-in equipment shelves behind them, only 8’ or so depth to a seating position, which then blocks built-in record racks. Sigh ...

I know 7 billion people would trade places, and grateful for what I have, but this downsizing sucks and I do miss my 500sf listening room and 900sf HT.