Brush Seal garage doors etc.

I need something to seal the roll up door on my shed. It looks like this will do some/most of the job but if anyone knows better I shall defer. Let's all say hi to Mark! https://youtu.be/12jsLu8HdG0

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    That was the pic I was supposed to post not me on Mother's day
  • afterburnt
    I think I am gonna hang a melting clock on that thing.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,521
    edited August 2020
    I must not take the right kinds of drugs -- I feel like I am missing something about this thread...

:#
    afterburnt wrote: »
    The CVS pharmacy that we use has one of those dripping off of one of their shelves. It is a nicely surreal touch. One of the best pharmacists there has blue hair, too -- come to think of it.
  • afterburnt
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I must not take the right kinds of drugs -- I feel like I am missing something about this thread...

The CVS pharmacy that we use has one of those dripping off of one of their shelves. It is a nicely surreal touch. One of the best pharmacists there has blue hair, too -- come to think of it.

Have you asked your doctor about placebo?
  • afterburnt
    Any ideas on insulating the sheet metal? So far all I got is hanging a moving blanket over it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,218
    Any ideas on insulating the sheet metal?

Buy an insulated door ;)

• afterburnt
    Great idea!🤑
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2020
    The shed is an encroachment on the side or rear yard utility easement whatever is on the left side of it, maybe? :) I'd hate to have to move it? You're in California correct? What are you trying to insulate it from, heat, flames? You can't insulate a roll-up door (that's what it looks like anyway), unless you never plan on opening it. Using a side door?
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • afterburnt
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    The shed is an encroachment on the side or rear yard utility easement whatever is on the left side of it, maybe? :) I'd hate to have to move it? You're in California correct? What are you trying to insulate it from, heat, flames? You can't insulate a roll-up door (that's what it looks like anyway), unless you never plan on opening it. Using a side door?

In AZ now. I hang the blanket on hooks and take it down when I need to use the door. I have the shed insulated because I have a heat pump in it.
  • aprazer402
    The heat pump for your house is inside the shed? Or is the shed itself heated and cooled with an in-wall heat pump? That may very well be common in AZ. I've never seen a house heat pump unit operating inside a shed. The shed certainly is big enough. I'd talk to some neighbors, if this is common, to find out what they do. Does the shed just get too hot too quickly with the roll-up door open? If the roll-up door is the only entry, I'd maybe install a passage door on the side.
  • afterburnt
    The heat pump for your house is inside the shed? Or is the shed itself heated and cooled with an in-wall heat pump? That may very well be common in AZ. I've never seen a house heat pump unit operating inside a shed. The shed certainly is big enough. I'd talk to some neighbors, if this is common, to find out what they do. Does the shed just get too hot too quickly with the roll-up door open? If the roll-up door is the only entry, I'd maybe install a passage door on the side.

@aprazer402 the shed itself heated and cooled with an in-wall heat pump and it does have pedestrian door on the side. The roll up door damn near may as well be open it leaks so much.
  • aprazer402
    Okay, gotcha now. The door looks in good condition in your photo. Maybe call a garage door company to see what they would charge to look at it. They may be able to make some adjustments to it to tighten it up more. Not sure how well those brushes seal. I seen smaller brushes on interior door bottom edges with varying results. We use rubber or vinyl striping on garage door edges due to snow and rain.
  • mhardy6647

Have you asked your doctor about placebo?

bw3xi0949pc8.png

• mhardy6647

I mean -- they make insulated roll-up (garage) doors. I'm sitting above two of 'em as I type this. Kind of a necessity in a heated garage... at least up here in the frozen white north.

The garage, with a radiant-heated slab, holds temperature kind of astonishingly well, as it turns out.
  • aprazer402
    edited August 2020

I mean -- they make insulated roll-up (garage) doors. I'm sitting above two of 'em as I type this. Kind of a necessity in a heated garage... at least up here in the frozen white north.

The garage, with a radiant-heated slab, holds temperature kind of astonishingly well, as it turns out.

I'm aware of insulated garage doors. Maybe I should have said you can't effectively add insulation to an existing roll-up door. Love heated concrete floors.
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • mhardy6647

I'm aware of insulated garage doors. Maybe I should have said you can't effectively add insulation to an existing roll-up door. Love heated concrete floors.

[emphasis added]

I'm right with you there! :) Although...
    Actually -- now that you mention it -- I am havin' this weird deja vu (all over again) that there was a thread here once on insulating a garage door. The way my memory works in 2020 AD (or CE, if one prefers)... that old thread might've been two weeks ago, two years ago, or in 1999. :/

• aprazer402

[emphasis added]

I'm right with you there! :) Although...
    Actually -- now that you mention it -- I am havin' this weird deja vu (all over again) that there was a thread here once on insulating a garage door. The way my memory works in 2020 AD (or CE, if one prefers)... that old thread might've been two weeks ago, two years ago, or in 1999. :/

Here you go.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184251/insulating-garage-door/p1

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2020
    well done; jolly good!
    :)

PS Hey, I shoulda picked "two years ago" in the "when was the thread Marky's hallucinating actually posted?" pool!
  • afterburnt
    edited August 2020
    bhu4ycvwa7qw.jpg
    Hard to see but big gaps especially at the top.
  • afterburnt
    Look at all that frickin daylight
  • mhardy6647

That's what you get for moving to Arizona or wherever the heck it is... up here, we get darkness six months a year.

B)
  • aprazer402
    What are your plans for this area? Since it's heated and cooled, is it going to be a Man Cave? A plant room? If you're planning on spending a lot of time there I'd replace that thin roll-up with something else. Is there a reason/need for such a large door? Maybe others will advise also.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,218
    edited August 2020
    ^^^ yep I agree. By the time he buys all the stuff to satisfy his needs he may be half way to a new door
    :D:D:D

Here's a thought.
    What about building two swinging doors to go on the outside?
    Maybe the wood outside would be enough to get the insulative value you desire OR you could put 2" Dow/Corning foam sheets on the inside of the new wooden side by side doors that could fit tightly inside the exterior frame of the roll up.
  • afterburnt
    What are your plans for this area? Since it's heated and cooled, is it going to be a Man Cave? A plant room? If you're planning on spending a lot of time there I'd replace that thin roll-up with something else. Is there a reason/need for such a large door? Maybe others will advise also.

I paid a lot of extra money for that rollup door!. It's a workshop and storage and once I put a TV and stereo in it I will only need to go in the house to take a deuce.
  • afterburnt
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    ^^^ yep I agree. By the time he buys all the stuff to satisfy his needs he may be half way to a new door
    :D:D:D

Here's a thought.
    What about building two swinging doors to go on the outside?
    Maybe the wood outside would be enough to get the insulative value you desire OR you could put 2" Dow/Corning foam sheets on the inside of the new wooden side by side doors that could fit tightly inside the exterior frame of the roll up.

https://youtu.be/Kv3kcnI72Ec
  • afterburnt

That's what you get for moving to Arizona or wherever the heck it is... up here, we get darkness six months a year.

B)

It's not the light that's the problem, it's the air that the light lets in.pcjo9jo49hai.jpg I moved here because it reminds me of my planet but there the lakes are liquid methane.

• afterburnt

I paid a lot of extra money for that rollup door!. It's a workshop and storage and once I put a TV and stereo in it I will only need to go in the house to take a deuce.

If I still drank coffee I would use coffee cans and never go in the house.