A headphone amplifier recommendation, please.

KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger ModeratorPosts: 7,087
I'm working on a project to adapt a tube line level preamp to a Dolby B noise reduction unit and as part of the final testing I'd like a fairly small, reasonably priced ($100.00 to $200.00) headphone amplifier so I can listen to changes I make in the tube amplifier's negative feedback setup. It doesn't need a built in DAC (most seem to come with this) and I need RCA left/right inputs and 1/4" headphone jack (only one is necessary). Selectable headphone impedance (high/low) would be nice.
Your suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
"They thought we were too loud, but shoot, I had four army blankets folded over my amp, and the volume level was on 2. I'm used to playin' on 10!" S.R.V.

Comments

• msgmsg Posts: 5,749
    edited July 31
    Might have a look at the Schiit Magni 3.
    I don't think it does variable impedance, but it does offer Lo and Hi gain selection.

They're $100 new, and not uncommon finds in the used market for $80 or so.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 7,087
    Thank you!
    "They thought we were too loud, but shoot, I had four army blankets folded over my amp, and the volume level was on 2. I'm used to playin' on 10!" S.R.V.
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 795
    even better.
    https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

$60-$90 for various Magni flavors. Full warranty
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 7,104
    Ifi?
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I’m thinking you’ve reached the point where people are afraid to open your posts.

I disabled
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 7,087
    I've been using the Magni 3 headphone amp and except for a little issue with the volume control (the knob might be binding against the faceplate opening) it is fine. Very clear sounding and seems well balanced and I can easily hear differences in the solid state and tube output stages. Great value, certainly!
    Now it makes me think about better headphones, of course.