Things that make you go HMMM...

Options

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Making the seemingly impossible POSSIBLE. :D

https://youtu.be/AhxU4VVGthc
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I think I just got hypnotized... :o

I can't stop watching. The original link had this on a loop. Crazy good it is. :D

https://youtu.be/rewuikd9HVc
  • Tony M
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I had an encounter with a snapper just like this one when I was 17 or 18. My friend stuck a baseball bat handle in front of it's mouth. The snapper bit HARD and my friend picked it up while it was clamped down on the handle. My friend was a strong roofer guy. That snapper was scary, just like the one in this short video.

Super Fast they are. ;)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/animals/don-t-mess-with-the-snappers/vi-AA110ZYX?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2157c7e87ee748fb83ef8add2c8aef10
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,683
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    I had an encounter with a snapper just like this one when I was 17 or 18.

At first I thought this sentence was in reference to the previous video. :o
  • Tony M
    Options
    I should've been more specific for sure. :D;)

I think the 2 above are out of my league. Plus, they are partners.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    I kind-of like this but the noise would get old after a few minutes.

https://youtu.be/yFuK68u2-hw

Why, yes! A perpetual motion device is impossible.
    B)

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Wonder what color he spray painted the grills?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

I'm guessing orange...
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    jkz01kt4czb7.jpeg

In the name of all things holy... please tell me that's photoshopped.

j0qs2npz61ka.png

:#
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'm guessing orange...

Ahh, yes. The JBL Look.

d6666pn2cbni.png
  • Tony M
    Options
    :'( ....................Some people.

They, he, she, them probably painted them to match their hair .
  • dromunds
    Options
    Paint huffing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be kids
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,697
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    jkz01kt4czb7.jpeg

Either way you look at it.... Someone discovered a new doping compound.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Kind of matches my underwear.
    Sal Palooza
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Why is "Ocean Breeze" or "Ocean Fresh" scent or the myriad of similar odors that people pay for a thing?

Like, I have yet to smell any one that actually smells like an ocean.

Oceans don't smell good. They smell like fish poo and crab flarts. Especially at low tide when all the sulfur and methane compounds in the rotting organic matter start mixing with the oxygen and nitrogen in the air.

Makes me wonder if anyone who designs these scents has ever been anywhere near an ocean?

The funniest ones are the ones that say ocean breeze and they smell like coconut oil based suntan lotion.

Also, side note, how is "driftwood" a scent? It just smells like barnacles (which stink), seaweed and wet wood. Dunno how that's anything close to what the scents smell like.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Preach it, Brother @Jstas! Preach!
    B)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,055
    Options
    bi01uikwlfta.png

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,875
    Options
    https://ottawasun.com/health/dont-try-the-nyquil-chicken-trend-you-saw-on-tiktok-fda-says

Really? just how stupid are kids today?
    What's next marinating a steak in gasoline before BBQing it
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2022
    Options
    "Willow wrote: »

REALLY FARKIN STUPID.... I blame it on the kids who ate Tide pod's who had kids.....

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,875
    Options

REALLY FARKIN STUPID.... I blame it on the kids who ate Tide pod's who had kids.....

In their defense, maybe they were trying to cleanse their palettes.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

In their defense, maybe they were trying to cleanse their palettes.

Well then they should really try Drano.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    For all you people who want to be an audiophile. Here's your starter kit! :D

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/portland-audiophile-starter-kit/7529006498.html
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Oh man, I've been looking for those exact speakers for a long time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    Options
    Yeah, and that amazing Sanyo receiver!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeah, and that amazing Sanyo receiver!
    F1nut wrote: »
    Oh man, I've been looking for those exact speakers for a long time.

Well... I've gotta say.
    On a $ per knob and button basis, this looks like a great deal.
    and
    I mean, for the industrial strength audiophile, what better than industrial series JBLs? I can almost hear 'em screaming from here...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Dang. I shouldn't've looked twice at that ad.
    NOW I am wondering what is/was hooked 'twixt the pre- and power amp on that receiver... :#
    The ad, tantalizingly, gives no clue.

xdxvyzl9pysp.png
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since. And what about the ruts in the roads?

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever. So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's a$$ came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' a$$e$.)

Now, the twist to the story:
    When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.
    So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's a$$.
    And you thought being a horse's a$$ wasn't important? Ancient horse's a$$es control almost everything!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    Options
    I heard one of the big problems with getting grain out of Ukraine by rail is they have Soviet style rail gauge and it’s incompatible with European rail gauge. Wonder where the Russkies got their rail gauge system from?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    I heard one of the big problems with getting grain out of Ukraine by rail is they have Soviet style rail gauge and it’s incompatible with European rail gauge. Wonder where the Russkies got their rail gauge system from?
    From a fat Rooskie woman’s keister.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since. And what about the ruts in the roads?

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever. So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's a$$ came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' a$$e$.)

Now, the twist to the story:
    When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.
    So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's a$$.
    And you thought being a horse's a$$ wasn't important? Ancient horse's a$$es control almost everything!

Thanks for that one nooshin.

Had to send that one to my brother.
    He’ll be retiring from the space center next year…. 😬