Basis Audio 1400 w/ Rega RB00

jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,487
This is a new-to-me turntable (and tonearm), so I'm starting a new thread for it. I got a good deal for the combo - probably just above the market value for the RB900 arm alone.

Here it is in action:
ucagwvermm55.jpg
iwe6zj81uxpa.jpg

I mounted a Signet TK5Ea cartridge with ATN130 OEM stylus on the arm...sounding very detailed and balanced. But, I think I need to put a different phono preamp in the chain, with a lower MM capacitance load. These AT carts like ultra-low capacitance settings. Cabling alone adds enough capacitance with them, so a phono pre with -0-, or maybe 47pF, is the ticket here.

"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• msgmsg Posts: 5,762
    Wow! That's a beaute, Jody. Sheeeeze...
    I disabled signatures.
  • MilitoMilito Posts: 979
    Very nice, congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Music Hall A70.2 integrated amp, B&K 4420 Reference, Bluesound NODE 2i, HSU VTF-2 MK5, LSiM705, LSiM704, Technics PD867, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Cullen Gold Power Cable, Signal Power Cables, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Fluance RT85, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios.
  • TEAforONETEAforONE Posts: 469
    That is a gorgeous table!
    First Watt,Monarchy Audio,Aric Audio,Prometheus Audio,April Music,Bluesound,Pro-Ject,Onkyo,Graham Chartwell,Nola,Hornshoppe,HSU Research.
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,938
    edited July 3
    Beautiful Table with a great reputation for wonderful sound. The Rega Tonearm is highly accredited as well, Nice catch!
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,487
    Thanks guys! I wasn't sure I would like the clear look with no wood veneer or glossy paint, but this is growing on me :)

I just noticed that my subject line says 'RB00' instead of 'RB900' :s The 9 sticks on this keyboard's key-pad.

Speaking of the RB900, I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that it doesn't have adjustable tonearm height for setting VTA. Luckily, the Basis 1400 has a set screw incorporated for adjusting VTA.
    bpb8r645085t.jpg
    Notice this doesn't allow mounting with the three-point bracket for the arm's pillar.

The lack of VTA adjustment in Rega arms seems to be pretty widespread. There are some aftermarket spacers and such that can be installed, but wow, come on Rega!

Some folks go to great lengths to try and prove VTA doesn't matter - many of them Rega fans - but I, for one, can hear a difference, so prefer to have the ability to adjust it.

"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,512
    I put a brass spacer under mine
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, Dish Rcvr, Xbox, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside* & out
    *soldered

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    GP, what is the height/thickness of your spacer? In my case, I'd say there is about a 3/8" gap between the chassis and the bottom of the mounting bracket.

• gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,512
    In storage at the moment but IIRC ~1/4-3/8”?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, Dish Rcvr, Xbox, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside* & out
    *soldered

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,881
    Always been a fan of basis turntables. Never had the pleasure of actually getting my ears or eye on one though.
    Conflagrations!
    Hatred😝
    Jealousy😉
    edited July 6
    Well, this is just their entry model, but I'm enjoying it :) Interestingly, today I noticed a real 'lack' of static with this tt. This is basically an all-acrylic design, including the platter, so perhaps the acrylic helps to insulate the vinyl from static???

AND, notwithstanding my last comment about static, it seems that the vinyl almost 'adheres' to the acrylic platter. There is a tight grip when trying to remove a vinyl record from the platter after playing, but static is not the agent. It's almost a vacuum seal between the acrylic platter and the vinyl disc. I don't know...maybe I'm dreaming it, but I will continue to monitor and observe.

BTW: I was able to pull the sub-platter and spindle bearing out of the well, and glad I did. There were a few random hairs about, and the lubricating oil was rather dark IMO. I cleaned everything with alcohol, and put fresh 3-in-One oil into the bearing well and on the shaft. Don't even go there, you bunch of pervs! :D

I have had good results with the 3-In-One oil with the BLUE banner for turntable motor bearings and spindle bearings. This is SAE 20 motor oil, so rather light. The 3-In-One oil with the BLACK banner is penetrating oil, so no bueno for these applications.