RTi4 tweeter sounds..funny?

Options
Hello all, a few weeks ago I got an insanely good deal on a pair of second hand RTi4's on FB Marketplace. Thought they sounded "off" to start with, and ended up checking all drivers, discovered one of the woofers has some scratchy rub when you lightly depress it, so it will eventually have to be replaced; however, that speaker sounds absolutely perfect now-the OTHER speaker sounds weird in the highs. It's almost as if the highs in that speaker are boosted to the point of the speaker sounding as if it's slightly underwater. I've swapped tweeters, crossovers, and the sound follows the tweeter. It may sound weird, but the opposite tweeter is MUCH smoother, whereas the the tweeter in question just sounds "off". Perfect example of Luke Bryan's "What She Wants Tonight", when I fade from left to right, the right speaker has a far more natural sound, whereas the left speaker seems to have a boosted treble and somewhat lost midrange. That boosted sound was not present with both tweeters unhooked. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Your comments contradict themselves. Boosted highs do not sound like the speaker is underwater. A speaker that sounds like it's underwater has lost the highs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Just buy another pair on eBay and part the bad ones out...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • percybush
    percybush Posts: 1
    Options
    Will do. Thank you!!