Electric smokers

Options
daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,206
edited June 2020 in The Clubhouse
Anyone with any experience with one? Brand? Good or bad? My wife wants to get one for my Father's Day gift but I'm wary since she will probably want to spend under two hundred.

I'd rather that she'd chip in on an amp but she doesn't see the value in that. lol

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    https://www.smokintex.com/
    the good stuff costs. :)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    Options
    I had a Bradley Smoker for a number of years. It did the job that was asked, but I eventually switched to Kamado Joe ceramic smoker.

https://www.bradleysmoker.com/us/product-category/food-smokers/?v=7516fd43adaa&gclid=CjwKCAjwxLH3BRApEiwAqX9aratfQGnmWpSwN3RKgdmubxZfnbZJ9jGSP7QwWpYrS5Xnt0xfB27-AhoC_HAQAvD_BwE
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    My chiropractor has a Bradley smoker. His comment was that it could be a little intense with the smoke.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    My chiropractor has a Bradley smoker. His comment was that it could be a little intense with the smoke.

In a Bradley Smoker, the amount of smoke is totally controllable based on the number of pucks you load into it. Want less smoke, load less pucks...etc. They burn at a rate of approximately 1puck/15 min. I usually only added enough for an hour or two of smoke in an 8-10 hour cook.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    A friend of mine who lives in MN loves his Traeger pellet smoker.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I had this smoker for a few years. It worked fine and actually had a few features I wasn't expecting including a water pan. It also held more than I thought it would. But once the electric plug/thermostat stopped working, I tossed it, but it would have been unused after I got an Oklahoma Joes reverse flow charcoal smoker anyway, no contest.

If I had to recommend an electric smoker now (looks like the Americana is OOP) I would opt for the Masterbuilt , for $300 it's a nice unit, and the glass door allows you to see the food without opening the door.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @daboyz, not sure if you saw the following thread a while back. Mostly a pellet discussion rather than "electric" smokers.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2553427

Old school but still going strong....my Dad has an electric "Little Chief" he's used since the 60's for trout/salmon. Current price is in your ballpark.

https://www.amazon.com/Smokehouse-Products-Little-Chief-Smoker/dp/B000ZKZJMY

For Father's Day I sent him the RecTec RT-340 pellet smoker, smaller version of mine, and he's having a blast with it. However, they're not cheap.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/RT-340-Wood-Pellet-Grill
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I killed mine with too much fish... scrub clean and scrub more everything tasted like rotten fish... then again I must have put over a ton of fish through it in the dozen years I owned it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Masterbuilt, if you are lazy. Bout the only thing beyond set it and forget it is adding a handful of chips depending on how much smoke you want. The most I ever wanted was to add some extra wood chips early on. Once the thing is seasoned you hardly need wood chips at all. Just never clean it.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    I have a Masterbuilt MES 140G. It has been great so far, with the exception of the built in probe. It was not accurate so I replaced it with a smoker thermometer. Like the electric because it’s set and forget.
  • JayCee
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Looks like the cap on price has increased. One of my dilemmas moving to a pellet grill was not wanting to lose the convenience and immediate temps of propane. Although I found a pellet grill did most of what I wanted, going to extreme temps (450+) just took too long and burned pellets at a very fast rate.

If you're looking at the Daniel Boone you might consider a Camp Chef. Their Woodwind looks to be very versatile and I'd consider it if in the market. This commercial is excellent and anyone that grills/smokes should relate. Warning...very funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fulJLYgsfSw

Like upgrading electronics...I have no fear when it comes to modifying anything I own and now have the perfect, for me, smoke "station". This past month has been upgrade time...

I purchased the Camp Chef sear box and attached it to my RecTec. Had to order a squat RV propane tank to fit on the shelf below the smoker and an extension for the gas line but I can now smoke and then immediately sear @ 500+ degrees. Can also throw on burgers, brats, dogs, steak, etc at lower temps if I want a fast/easy meal minus the smoke times. Cherry on top is the Green Mountain pizza oven that, fortunately, is a perfect fit inside my chamber. Can have 600+ temps on the stone in 15 minutes and a handmade pizza fully cooked in 3 or less minutes.

Pics from the last month:

Pre mod
    usdinq7zz6xu.jpg

Sear station installed
    my1xbvvr9e7k.jpg

Pizza oven
    capcf5ly9g51.jpg

Fruits of my labor
    e2hz77c1zvrg.jpg
    bj5uh28zgsew.jpg1fuy9uz3putv.jpg
    r8rig4hk69xe.jpg
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • daboyz
    Options
    Very nice!! I have a Weber Genesis for my propane needs. We did get the Boone. Damn thing was fooked up so I'm taking it back on Monday.

wssakw8mv7jd.jpg
  • JayCee
    Options
    That's too bad. Swapping for the same or still on the hunt? I like the Boone's see through hopper. I've looked at doing the same to mine but there are 2 walls on my hopper and electronics between. More than I want to mess with.
  • daboyz
    Options
    I'm getting the new model for the same price. The store I bought it from tried to Frankenstein one together but it didn't work. The new one has a light, foldable front table and is set for rotisserie. My neighbor has an older one and he's jealous as all get out. lol
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    Options
    New to the pellet smoker game with this furlough stuff. Just got a new Rectec and hope to do the burn in tomorrow. Nice mods Jaycee. What temp do you run the pizza stone at?

mjlnl5saiyxr.jpeg
    m8hal8707nv4.jpeg
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
  • JayCee
    edited August 2020
    Options
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    New to the pellet smoker game with this furlough stuff. Just got a new Rectec and hope to do the burn in tomorrow. Nice mods Jaycee. What temp do you run the pizza stone at?

Thanks. You got the Bull....nice! Big bro to mine. I'm looking at my Stampede as I type and I have a whole chicken nearing done.

I use max temp for pizza. With the pizza oven insert it captures the heat/ignition directly from the pot. Not sure of actual temps on the stone, so several weeks ago I purchased a modest thermal gun to measure it. Guessing 600-700 degrees. Haven't used the gun, yet, except to measure my PS Audio BHK-250 amp. LOL. Will report back when I use it on the pizza.

Not sure if you've seen but Rectec just changed their name and logo design. You have a collector's item since they're now going by "Recteq". Has to do with a lawsuit and trademark issues.

I typed up some tips to get my dad started with ribs, chicken, etc on his gifted Rectec. If you want, PM me your email address and I'll forward the email. He's gotten pretty good with his and he's been giving me pointers for bigger cuts of meat plus salmon.

Sweet derail @joecoulson! I have no experience with the eggs but they look like quality build and fun.

Edit to add the 6.5 lb fowl I'm waiting on. Just a few...more....degrees...
    qh2ub6bbg73o.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    awdizygkb1hy.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayCee
    Options
    Nice chops. How's the upkeep on the window...hard to keep clean? I also like that you can see into your hopper.
  • daboyz
    Options
    I've only cooked twice on it so it's still clean now. We shall see after a few more times.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    is there a cover for the hopper?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Curious, do these electric smokers fare well (metal) in the outdoor humid environments and last years without degradation or rust?
  • daboyz
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

There is a snap down lid on it. If that's what you're asking?
  • daboyz
    Options
    daboyz wrote: »
    marvda1 wrote: »

There is a snap down lid on it. If that's what you're asking?

My neighbor has the exact same one that's about four years old. He keeps it covered but it gets brought into the garage for the winter. Looks good still.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Interesting. I guess the cover is the key for any outdoor setup.
  • daboyz
    Options
    That's a heat blanket in earlier pic.

td1p211sb71h.jpg
  • JayCee
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I keep mine in the garage when not in use but a selling point, for me and the Recteq, is a stainless steel build. A few parts are enamel but the majority SS. My last gas grill lasted 18 years with proper care and rebuilding the burner every few seasons. I hope to have the smoker at least that long. LOL...I'll be in my 70's!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Most covers for grills are great at holding moisture in. I know most use them to keep moisture off their grill but they are great at not allowing enough air flow to allow moisture to escape. Stainless still rusts it just stains less not rust proof. Chinese stainless is very magnetic so therefore rust much easier. American stainless is not magnetic as it has much more chromium than stainless from off shore, BUT American stainless will still rust. Grills and smokers most rust comes from the salt used in spices we put on the meat.