Bad News

Options
Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,067
Atari isn't doing well. She was diagnosed with cancer today. I can't afford full blown cancer treatment so for she's on antinausea so she'll stop throwing up her food and steroids to help reduce lymphnode swelling just trying to keep her comfortable. They don't let the owners in the vet office due to covid so they relayed info back and forth via phone, I pretty much just sat in my car the whole time trying not to fully break down in front of all the other cars sitting outside.

We're back home and she seems like herself still so that's good. Hopefully the meds will allow her to keep eating. Hard to pin down a time frame, could be weeks could be months or who knows.

If she starts keeping food down like normal I'm going to give her her first ever steak all to herself. Any other cool ideas she'd be stoked on that you normally don't let dogs do?
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Steak is a good idea. My dog loved pizza so I gave him a few slices when he was in his last days.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    That sucks man. Sorry. Keep her comfortable.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nightfall
    Options
    When it gets bad I won't.

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Horrible news josh.

Make this time the best days of her life which it sounds like you're going to do.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    She's still happy and alert. Took her first steroid a little bit ago and antinausea shot at the vet. I fed her boiled chicken and rice, hasn't thrown it up yet. So far so good.

izkitaj66kkc.jpg

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    So sorry to hear this man....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    sorry to hear.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    They become our family, sorry bro, that will be tough - spend quality time
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    Sorry to hear... been down this road before and it is a hard one. Often with animals with cancer they will prescribe prednisone (your steroid?) which can really improve their appetite. We had two black cats, 20-pounders, brothers/twins that both got cancer at the end and we took that opportunity to spoil them with every treat food they ever wanted. They went out in "eating glory" and loved every minute of it. Hopefully your dog will respond well to the meds.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Sorry to hear this news. Hoping for the best
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    Give her all the love she can handle and then a bit more. I doubt it wll ever make her sick. Hope she and you have many good days ahead.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Very sorry to hear this. Steak sounds great and don't forget the ice cream for dessert. My (soon to be 14 y/o) chihuahua loves vanilla ice cream. Hope for the best!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Sorry to hear the news, hopefully you both can enjoy the time she still has together. It is hard to let go but when she starts to suffer and her quality of life diminishes help her find her way to doggie heaven. Until that time comes spoil her all you can.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Oh Josh so sorry to hear pal. I know that's your gal and your best friend.
    My heart hurts for you truly.
    --Ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Sorry to hear bro, its never easy. She looks to be a fantastic pup
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Sorry to hear Josh... Make her as comfortable as possible and when the right time comes you'll both know what is best and she will understand...

:'(
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Nightfall
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    Sorry to hear... been down this road before and it is a hard one. Often with animals with cancer they will prescribe prednisone (your steroid?) which can really improve their appetite. We had two black cats, 20-pounders, brothers/twins that both got cancer at the end and we took that opportunity to spoil them with every treat food they ever wanted. They went out in "eating glory" and loved every minute of it. Hopefully your dog will respond well to the meds.

Yes, Prednisone 20mg. I don't want to fill myself with a bunch of false hope but you wouldn't even know anything is wrong with her anymore. She's fully back to her normal self and begging for food after barely eating for three days, you can see her weight loss in the picture I took today. Whatever happens I'm just so happy she feels good.

Thank you guys, it means a lot.

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    Yes, the change can be dramatic when they start on that drug. Take the opportunity and love her up. It's tough to see a great pet go - they are often better than most people (unconditional love and all that...)
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    Options
    I feel so bad hearing things like this. Enjoy every minute you can with her. And remember,spoil her rotten!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Josh, my heart goes out to you, it’s amazing the bond we get with our furry friends.. Spoil that dog like never before..
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Josh- I am so sorry to hear. Great looking dog.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    It is so difficult to give up pets; each one makes us feel so very good.

Sorry to hear this sad news.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    I'm glad the treatment is allowing her to eat and feel good, Josh.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, we have cats and dogs-they are family.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I am sorry to hear this.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That is terrible. Stay strong, and love your friend. She certainly loves you. I have lost both parents, three dogs, and a cat I have had since October 2004 is on her last legs. It never gets easier. Good luck.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    Josh I'm sorry to hear this man
    Give me a holler if you want brah.
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Options
    So sorry to hear of this! Ya gonna have to spoil, spoil and spoil some more....our furry buds mean so much to us and they are here such a short time it is never easy...hopefully the meds will make her feel a lot better and the two of you will still get a bunch more time together!
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC