First system

13»

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    polrbehr wrote: »
    mcphatty00 wrote: »
    Ok, I did what I didn't think I would. I found a pair of Monitor 70s for $140 that were 5 minutes away. I got them and moved the 40s to the surround spots. Honestly, I probably wasn't going to rest until I did this.
    They're currently working and sounding rather solid. I'll just have to be on the lookout for a badder unit.

Less than 3 weeks in and already planning on upgrading. It's official, we have another victim. ;)

Fixed it...

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Shhhh, you'll scare him away....
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mcphatty00
    mcphatty00 Posts: 47
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Shhhh, you'll scare him away....

Nah, I think you're stuck with me 😉
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    You hang around here and let us systematically drain your bank account, you'll be whistling a different tune. And you're in the NE? You'll be attending a 'fest sooner or later, that just widens/deepens the rabbit hole, really. B)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mcphatty00
    Right now, I live in State College, PA. I've found that it's rather easy to find components on place like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, so I'm not too worried 😉
  • mcphatty00
    I've seen the 25-225 watts on the Polk site for Monitor 70s, but what should they run at? My receiver pushes 110 per channel.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    110 per channel @1khz
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I've seen the 25-225 watts on the Polk site for Monitor 70s, but what should they run at? My receiver pushes 110 per channel.

Mine did not really sound good until I got a 200+ watt amp on them. 150 watts didn't quite cut it.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    edited May 2020
    1975 had $1800 from the grand parents for getting thru HS and snow shoveling....bought a Philips turn table , all TOTL Sansui stuff as our neighbor was the Sansui rep for NY and a pair of the EPI BIG boys :)
    EPI 1000's which to this day are my cousins and used daily.....my cable upgrade was probably from Radio Shack...……..