Mirage Nanostat opinions

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited April 2020 in Speakers
I’ve got a pair of AV123 EL525T towers in my loft (11 deep x 14 wide x 8 tall IIRC) and they do ok for the kids, but they really need the center channel to fill the system out.

The centers are a bit of a pain to find, so I’ve been hunting a decent deal for alternative options.

I found a Mirage Nanostat 5.1 setup locally for a song but wanted some opinions on it.

I know they NEED a sub since they cross at 110hz, but their diminutive size and the ability to wallmount easily makes them attractive, plus the price.

My main concerns are the fact my loft is right above my family room and open on the back to the entry so sound filters down to me. If I used the surrounds they would either need to be sitting on the floor pointing up (likely best options) or near the ceiling firing down.

I already have 2 shelves on either side of the TV about 5 feet up so I could just put these on those and then build a mini shelf for the center as the TV is on a wall mount with swivel and tilt options so it sticks out in the room a bit.

Anyone here have some thoughts? @mantis @falconcry
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    The Mirage Nanosat system is awesome. Now that they are older and can be picked up cheap on the used market I say grab them.
    For the Surrounds they don't point downward. They mount upward. They mount themselves with their own mounting system. They come with this little L bracket that mounts underneath the speaker and then to a anchor on the wall. Much like if you where to Key hole mount a speaker but with a external bracket.
    I suggest mounting them high as that would work just fine with them. The Nanosat technology is Mirages bi polar design and really spreads the sound around.
    They will also work well on the floor just sitting there firing upward. I have done that in many rooms where the wife didn't want them on the side or back walls.
    If your picking up a 5.1 system I assume they are including the Mirage subwoofer. I suggest you put a Granite slab of some sorts underneath it to stop it from transferring bass energy to the floor which is your ceiling as well downstairs.
    The fronts should be perfectly fine on the shelves. Or you could wall mount them all.
    The center channel also can be mounted above or below the Tv depending on TV height and that would prevent you from having to use another Shelf.
    Just on a side note for performance wise your going to be impressed with how they sound. You won't expect them to do anymore then a cheap surround out of a box system but when you turn them on and calibrate them to perfection, your in for a treat. Little gems they are.
    I miss Mirage.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Dan!

I’m likely going to pick them up as it frees up floor space in the room a bit, or at min won’t allow the kids to tip them over (which they’ve done with the AV123 towers as they are super light and top heavy).

I’ve got a Anthem MRX-500 to drive them so power and EQ shouldn’t be a problem. Also they do have a sub and I plan to try and high pass it at about 40 or 50hz as the kids don’t care about bass, and for once neither do I up there.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    WAY OVERKILL of a receiver for the Nanosats but damn the will sound their best with all that clean power. Nice receiver by the way I almost grabbed one when they first came out. It's a good sounding unit.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.