New RTi6s - Big Distortion

Options
Oldwriter
Oldwriter Posts: 248
edited May 2004 in Troubleshooting
Just got new speakers - Beautiful! To look at. But when tried to play beloved opera CDs - they sound tinny and distorted, especially at higher volumn. Think it may be amplifier or other equipment - replaced speakers (Celestion) sound better, though a bit muffled (they're nearly 30). Any hints on how to trace through the source(s) of this distortion? Have checked wiring and all connections - polarity, etc. - and have cleaned everything. I suspect the amplifier, as the new speakers sound fine on jazz and chamber music. Vocal music, however, sounds AWFUL! Thanks for any help. . . LR
Post edited by Oldwriter on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited May 2004
    Options
    What are you driving them with...

DO YOU HAVE A SUBWOOFER???

That kind of music can trail DEEP - and you have 50hz speakers there.

However that dosnt quite explain it, as I run my RT5, and RT35i on large and they still sound STELLAR.

Hmm

What is your source, receiver, room size
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Oldwriter
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the get-back. I'm driving the speakers with a Kenwood 100-watt/channel unit - all bells and whistles, and never had problems - it's five years old. Also using a brand new and wonderful JVC XV-N55SL DVD/CD player that also has never given me problems. Old Celestion speakers did develop some high-frequency distortion recently - but I thought it was just the speakers. As I say - small-ensemble music sounds fine - but any vocals - opera, chorus, etc. - sounds very distorted and tinny.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited May 2004
    Options
    hmmm...

Do you have any pictures of your system?

So we can see how you have them placed, etc...

You probally need to get ahold of a subwoofer for the low end..

As for the distorted and tiny sound -- sounds VERY strange, and I hope others on here will give you some help on that...I am not sure what it could be exactly

Treble controls? Dynamic Range compression?

Do you have another receiver to try them on, a friend? A different source...etc etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

You have a few possible sources of the problem, but I think we can rule out the speakers. Did this problem start when you got the new front end? If so, there may be a problem with it. JVC isn't known for quality gear. If you still have the old player try hooking that up and see what happens. It may also be possible that the receiver has a cap going bad. How well isolated is the cd player?

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Also, what do you have your bass and treble settings at? Most of us here run them flat (0). Also, make sure your binding post jumpers are tight so the tweeter and woofer are both active.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • Oldwriter
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Wow! Lotsa help - let me sorta go through all the suggestions. First, my speakers (no sub-W) are on stands, about 6 feet apart in a room roughly 15x20 feet - carpeted. My controls are set "flat" on the receiver - no audio compression. Sorry, no pics to send - yet, anyway.
    The distortion, as y'all say, is most likely NOT the new speakers. And yes, a sub-w would help greatly.
    The JVC CD player got rave reviews - and I've found it to be awesome on DVD movies and, until now, on CDs. I've tightened and cleaned all contacts - checked and double-checked all controls, and done about everything I can think of.
    No, I don't have my old amp - or my old CD player. Sigh. When I plug in the old Celestions I get much better sound, but still a bit of top-end distortion - so I'm thinking there's a problem with either the player or the receiver. Driving me crazy!
    Thanks for the posts - and I'll just keep on trying. Going to call the Crutchfield (where I got them) product support folk today, then maybe Polk - just to see if they have any helpful suggestions. I'm afraid of what they'll say! SPEND MORE MONEY!
    Anyway - thank you all so much. LR
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Have you checked your interconnect cables & speaker cables yet?

Maybe one of the cables has been cut or sliced, or is shorting out. Or, if you unscrew the ends of the interconnect cables (if you can) maybe the solder is coming loose, or a similar problem.

Give your cables a thorough once over. Don't just look at the ends, where they are connected, but look at the actual cable itself for any damage.

Also, make sure all your speaker & interconnect cables are isolated from the AC power cords by at least 1 foot.

Hope this helps & good luck.

gm
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hey there Oldwriter ,

Give the RTi6's a chance to sound better (break-in period) . I too experianced some over brightness with my new RTi4's and CSi3 till I ran them constantly for 100+ hours at mid to low volumes . After a 100+ hours (more like 120-150) the tweeters "broke-in" and calmed down ALOT , to the point of now sounding very sweat and natural . I use my setup mostly for HT and Iam now very happy with the setup , to the point of looking at a pair of RTi6's for the fronts to replace my RTi28's and move my RTi4's to the rear .
    You have 30 days from Crutchfield to do a full/free return , so take advantage of it and break those 6's in and then decide on the sound .

My .02 ;)
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • Oldwriter
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Well, now, I thank you for the break-in suggestions - all the way from my "home state." (born in Fresno) Yeah, I've heard many people talk about speaker break-in - and there are some who say it's valid, and others who pooh-pooh it. Well, I have a feeling that the break-in advocates may have it right, including you.
    I've run-in the speakers now, but only have about 30 hours on them - so I'm keeping them on about 10-12 hours a day this week, to see what happens.
    Interesting, if you read the thread about distortion and my changing speaker wires? When I looked very closely at the old 14-gauge electrical cord I replaced with Monster Cable, I noticed in several places that the wire had turned green! Hmmm - looked like air had gotten inside the insulation - and from what I read, that can mess up the impedence and sound quality.
    Looking for any and all replies to THAT ONE! I KNOW part of the problem is the receiver - so I'll soon replace that, once I decide on what brand to get. Polk strongly urges NAD, others Denon, and others Harmon-Kardon.
    Have you seen/heard the new HK 1005 all-digital receivers? They are touted as better-cooler-neater than all others. Well, I'm waiting for experts to comment on that!
    Again - thanks - I'll return to breaking in now!!! GRIN Larry R