Improvements to the SDA SRS

Options

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Raife,
    I have a pair of SDA-SRS and a pair of 1.2's, not the TL version. I wonder whether I would be better off modifying the SDA-SRS or the 1.2's? I'm wondering if the 1.2's have the same cabinent structure as the 1.2TL's?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    I wonder whether I would be better off modifying the SDA-SRS or the 1.2's? I'm wondering if the 1.2's have the same cabinent structure as the 1.2TL's?
    madmax

I think it is better to modify both of them.:) However, if I had to choose one over the other, then definitely do the 1.2s. The same cabinet is used for the 1.2 and 1.2TL. Polk used to sell a 1.2 upgrade kit that included two 1.2TL crossovers and eight SL3000 tweeters.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkWannabie
    Raife,

Aren't there now also SL3000T replacement tweeters available from Polk ?

Have you heard these ?

You're right, there are new SL3000T tweeters, but I have not heard them yet. It's on my list of things to do.

F1nut is selling some spare SL3000s, which may mean that he has bought the new SL3000Ts and has some insights to share.
  • madmax
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by raife1
    I think it is better to modify both of them.:) However, if I had to choose one over the other, then definitely do the 1.2s.

With the standard 1.2 would you still upgrade the capacitors, resistors and use the SL-2000T tweeters? This was not clear to me.
    Thanks!
    madmax

• DarqueKnight
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yes, with the 1.2 I would do the "works": new crossover caps and resistors, and SL2000T tweeters.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Mondo kewl!

As tempting as it is to mod my 1C's, think I would be better off waiting to mod some SRS's once I have the bank? I'm holding out for a set 1.2tl's somewhere in the Southwest, maybe San Diego, so I can drive out to pick them up.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • madmax
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Too bad polk isn't into ribbons (like the ones on the Carver Amazings). They could make a single assembly with a ribbon running down each side, one for the main and the other for the SDA and put a bass speaker in the bottom. That would make for some great SDA sound and still not be very wide. Not very deep either. Wall mountable maybe?
    madmax

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited June 2004
    Options
    converting a SRS1.2 to an SRS1.2tl ? Is it just a tweeter upgrade?

thanks,

-Luc
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    edited June 2004
    Options
    you would have to change the crossover and tweets
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited June 2004
    Options
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Darque,

All I can say is wow all the information you put out is always stunning. Let me guess you have lunch with Bob Carver on wednesdays and lunch on fridays with ole Mathew Polk dont you ?
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • rgiles07
    rgiles07 Posts: 9
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I have a pair of SDA SRS's that I bought new in 1987. I would like to purchase a copy of DarqueKnight's latest SDA Compendium 2nd edition, however, I just joined the Forum and am not allowed to email the master directly to place my order.

Could someone please tell me how to purchase a copy. I want to upgrade my SDA's and am eager to get started.

Thanks
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I just never realized the size difference between the stock capacitors and the Solen capacitors.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2007
    Options
    jakelm wrote:
    I just never realized the size difference between the stock capacitors and the Solen capacitors.

big,,aren't they :eek:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Audioquest
    Audioquest Posts: 104
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Was the receiver set to "mono" for the left-right balance evaluations of different tweeters etc so the signal output would be identical?
    HT: Polk SDA SRS 2.3 main fronts, Klipsch RC-25 center channel, Polk RTi-150 rears, M&K V1B sub, Denon AVR-5800, Samsung 52" LCD, Sony BDP-S550

2 Channel: Carver ALS Platinum, Audio Research LS-2B preamp, Counterpoint SA-100 amplifier, Integra CD player, Denon SL7D tt, TC750 phono pre, Nikko tuner
  • PolkClyde
    PolkClyde Posts: 662
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I am an electrical engineer. It's nice work if you can get it.:)

Mr. DarqueKnight, I met you at PolkFest 08. Man, I wish you were here to mod my 1.2's SRS... well,if you are the type of person that like doing things for people :) I'll have to figure it out,how to mod them myself,that is.But, everyting is original and they still sound great,slightly better than the Kappas.hey, that's a totally different design all together.
    PolkAudioClyde
  • y_w8
    y_w8 Posts: 13
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Is there an updated circuit board for the original SDA SRS? I noticed in another post that the SRS 1.2 had an upgraded PCB available.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The PC boards are custom by a fellow Polkie...link

http://www.gimpod.com/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Alwishus
    Alwishus Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    Options
    y_w8 wrote: »
    Is there an updated circuit board for the original SDA SRS? I noticed in another post that the SRS 1.2 had an upgraded PCB available.

txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The PC boards are custom by a fellow Polkie...link

http://www.gimpod.com/

I'm not so sure that an an upgraded SDA SRS PC board exists. I haven't seen ANYTHING for my original 2nd gen's. I'm thinking that we have no other options except to upgrade/swap some of the components on our stocker. I'm actually scouring the site looking for the parts list, but am not having any luck!
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Alwishus wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that an an upgraded SDA SRS PC board exists. I haven't seen ANYTHING for my original 2nd gen's. I'm thinking that we have no other options except to upgrade/swap some of the components on our stocker. I'm actually scouring the site looking for the parts list, but am not having any luck!

Buy Gimpods boards, have VR3 populate them, and you're all set :)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Buy Gimpods boards, have VR3 populate them, and you're all set :)

I don't believe his boards can be used with original SRS's. The OP should check and see.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    Options
    These can not use GIMPOD boards but I have devised a solution to this that is a drop in replacement... :]
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Alwishus
    Alwishus Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    These can not use GIMPOD boards but I have devised a solution to this that is a drop in replacement... :]

I've been on your site brudda...didn't see it? Please...DO TELL !!
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Shoot me an email
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited August 2019
    Options
    So I found this thread (while searching on line) about the possibility of converting a 1st gen SDA SRS to a SRS 1.2, or even a 1.2TL! Certainly worthy of a bump! :smile:

Ever since I got the MC300, which I absolutely love, I was tinkering a bit with the possibility of running my SRS's with monoblock amplifiers. Could I find another MC300, run em bridged as monoblocks? Some of you here have done similar.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184704/a-mcintosh-in-verbs-house/p1

Well not quite. Here are my learnings over the past few weeks.

Since my set is a first gen, it has the blade/blade interconnect cable. An A1 or Dreadnaught is the only enabler to allow monoblocks, on even a non-common ground amplifier to work with SDA's without causing damage! They only come in pin/blade.

But it's not the blade/blade entirely. The XO's on the 1st gen SRS's are completely different from later models, and are not designed to work with a A1 or Dreadnaught. So don't even think about modifying the cable to plug into the 1st gen SRS's!

Ok so I thought, well I could completely re-build the XO's as 1.2's, or TL's. Yeah kinda pricey, but doable.

In doing so, you would have to change the drivers. Love this forum, here is a list of drivers you would have to replace:
    pi99abi4shrx.png

Again, doable. Pricey, MW6511's are getting harder to find, but not impossible. I already upgraded the tweeters, so I would have to make a decision toward a 1.2, or 1.2TL and swap out the 8 tweeters I just replaced! It's only money! :smile:

But for me, the biggest obstacle in a conversion is the cabinet! Although they look the same on the outside, they are completely different on the inside! My SRS's are more of a traditional cabinet with internal bracing, etc, to control the resonant frequencies.

The later generation SRS's use a "monocoque" design, cabinet wall thickness are nearly double, different internal structure, and tuned completely differently! Not much detail on internal dimensions or structure, so it would be a guess at best if you were to attempt a cabinet conversion.

Bottom line for me, keep an eye out for a set of 1.2TL's! Or even 2.3TL's, as they get a lot of raves too! :smile:

So, this part of my journey, I learned a lot, got another MC300 (now for future use), and loving every minute while on CP! Thanks to all of you who chimed in and offered advice! Special shout out to @F1nut and @westmassguy @DarqueKnight :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    You sure have some stories now about your audio journey to tell your grand kids don't you. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    Is there a way to see the original pictures? I'd like to see what he did for the crossover board.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    The original pictures from 2004 vanished forever after the forum switched servers and picture links were broken.

I initially had all those jumbo sized caps piled on the original crossover board. After some time, I designed custom crossover boards for my SRS's. Pictures can be seen in a 2010 thread here:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/111239/further-improvements-to-the-sda-srs-custom-pcb-and-sda-inductor

Read all the way down to see all the subsequent parts changes.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Thanks for posting that @DarqueKnight ! I was searching amongst all of your threads to no avail. I must say, Ray, OMG what a treasure trove of how to’s and knowledge! I’m gonna spend some time reading them all! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • y_w8
    y_w8 Posts: 13
    Options
    Awesome rebuild, @DarqueKnight! I've been monitoring this thread for many years. Did you make the PCBs? If so, would you be willing to create more for sale? I am the original owner of my SDA SRSs, and would like to rebuild the crossovers.
    Thanks for reposting the details with pictures! I had saved the post, but found the pictures gone a few years ago.