What speaker made you give up your Polks?

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Nothing. Of the 29 Polk speakers that I have had I still have 22 of them. Gave away 5 and sploded 2. Wait I fogot subs so I have 23 gave away 1.

Oh, all of mine are still here -- just not daily drivers any more.
    Actually, I did donate (or at least try to donate) my LF14 to Polk. I'd like to think it actually got there :|
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited April 2020
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Another Rosso Fiorentino here.

Man, those Infinity Kappa 5s didn’t last long, lol!

I'll still rotate them in for sure, I really like them. These Rosso's are another level for my tastes though.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joshwest90
    Joshwest90 Posts: 109
    I’m still trying to figure out my “taste”. I primarily use my speakers 90% HT and 10% music listening. Music taste Varies throughout the day.
    My biggest desire is to have a system that completely envelops you. I want to be able to close my eyes and hear/feel like I was there during the recording/concert.

Right now I have:
    Onkyo Tx-Rz820 receiver
    A pair of Refreshed SDA-1A as my front LR powered by a Parasound HCA-1500
    A pair of SDA-2A as rear LR powered by a Carver TFM-35x
    A pair of SDA-CRS as height 1 powered by a Kenwood Basic M2A
    My center channel is a SVS prime center and from my listening it blends well with the SDA-1A

I’m looking to replace all of the tweeters with the RD0194 from Polk, just waiting on some wiggle room in the budget.

Any suggestions on upgrades or speakers?

Anyone head the Tekton Double Impact?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited April 2020
    Vintage Polks are the only ones I ever bought without a listening demo, if that says something.

As far as replacing them, only upgraded and modified them as well. The law of diminishing return applies here as they take small investment to reach their peaks.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Von Schweikert VR2 floorstanding speakers. Amazing sound with a pretty small footprint. Transmission line enclosure for some surprisingly deep bass. Rear firing ambiance driver helps to create a more immersive soundstage. I still regret selling them.
    d3e7pj19dssm.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    Infinity Quantum line source but have since moved on from those as well.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Went from modded LSi15s to GoldenEar Triton Ones to Triton Reference.
    Still have a full Polk LSiM HT setup.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    udgmquvqs5hg.jpg
    ADS 1590.

Great speakers; Which model Polks did they send packing?

RTA 12C'S. Fully modded.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    1ortitpuevie.jpg
    molded. 12c and the m5jr.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Elac Adante AF-61’s sent the 705’s on their way

scnbihlkmviv.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited April 2020
    My Polk journey started with the TSi100s and then I moved to the LSiM703s.

Karma'd the TSi100s here and then sold the 703s after I got my PMC twenty.22 speakers.

I still use the Polk Blackstone TL3 satellites on my computer desk along, along with a powered sub. They offer very good performance for the price.

h107TL3B-o_illustration.jpeg
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue78/polk_tl3.htm
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    As I don't have the space for SDAs, I've replaced Polk Monitor 7s and LSiM 703s with Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s. Had a chance to demo some Sierra 2EXs and they sneak in at 8 dB lower in response vs. Sierra 2. Will be my next purchase. Bookies that sound like towers.

ek8mf4tth9f8.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    These Infinity Kappa 5s I have here really make me want to hear a modern pair of speakers with RAAL tweeters for sure.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    LoStrings wrote: »
    I had a original set of SRS SDA’s, and I have a set of SDA-1c’s, but my lust for Infinity sent me on a beautiful journey...ywqa65bamumt.jpeg

Are those Infinity Quantum???? What do you like better between them and the RSII?
  • LoStrings
    LoStrings Posts: 38

[/quote]

Are those Infinity Quantum???? What do you like better between them and the RSII? [/quote]

Yes, they are QLS-1's...I love both the Quantum's, and the RSII's...for me it's how the infinity's do everything so well. The Emit tweeters are without question, one of the best tweeters ever designed. It amazes me how true the music is to the original recording, and doesn't color the sound. You do need some serious power, but you'll be gifted as the end result. They both offer similar presentations, with the Quantum's being just a little bit bigger...
  • CH46E
    edited April 2020
    @LoStrings

Nice! I'm using a Hafler XL600 on my RSII. Good for .5 ohms and well over 450 watts per channel at 4 ohm.

I've replaced all the bass caps with Mundorf eletrolytic caps, and Jantzen Superior Z caps for the EMITs. Will be order more caps for the mid section this week. I have the 6.8uf Superior ZCaps for the middleid range driver (not installed yet) and am thinking I may go with Sonicap 12.5uf for the other mid range drivers. Jeff at Sonicaps can get me somen12.5 caps. If I go with Jantezen I'll have to combine 5.6 and 6.8 caps to get close to 12.5. $$$$

I used to have a pair of Crescendo 3007s (thanks to a trade of some SDA CRS with @mlistens03 )and while they were nice thier EMITs (round) did not come close to the EMITs in these RSII.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Those cap upgrades move you to a whole new level IMHO. Great job!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    I haven't gave up on Polk. But my Thiel CS2.3, Infinity RSIIIa or Bohlender Graebener RD50's. I tend to enjoy very much more most times. Especially the Thiel's.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    These Newform Research R645's I believe they're called. I've had these a long time too. I don't know what came first though. I think I had the newforms first. I'll never let them go. Those 2 Scanspeak woofers below really put out some bass.

But I missed my SDA-SRS2's for about 6months to a year and a new set popped up near by and I got the same model back. Bought new RDO194's again years later.

I've been condensing and "totally" rearranging my cottage room lately. I'm feeling the urge to purge!

Here's the Newform Researchs;
    wxvdzhd1m7rl.png
    pzh5hr2q3sn8.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Dynaudio Contour S3.4 Loudspeakers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Had some Polk Audio RT-20p, number of issues with amps and drivers, fixed them, handed down to my son, replaced with B&W Nautilus N804 & ASW800 sub. Those were replaced in 2019 with B&W 805D3 and DB1D sub.
    [
  • CH46E
    I love those B&W speakers!
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Tony M wrote: »
    These Newform Research R645's

Do those use a B&G planar driver up top?

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited April 2020
    halo71 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    These Newform Research R645's

Do those use a B&G planar driver up top?

I've read it's the Company owner's own ribbon design. ;)

I believe it's a guy with a place up North that makes these. I don't know how many employees he has now but I think Newform Research is still a small private business.

I read he loves to talk to people personally to see if his designs will fit your needs. One of those great Co. and owner satisfaction Companies.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.