Rise of Skywalker BluRay volume issue

Options
I picked this up the other day and gave it a view yesterday. Not reviewing the movie itself, just making an FYI on the apparent volume level issue on this release, which is noted on blu-ray.com as well. Essentially, the audio track is much lower than your standard movie release. On my receiver (on a scale of 0 -100 on the volume control), a typical movie such as Mad Max Fury Road, I can take the volume to about 72 which pushes it very well. To get RoS to that same level, the volume has to go to 84. It's way undercooked.

If you're thinking about buying it, maybe hold off and see if Disney (fat chance, I know) fixes the issue and re-releases. Still, when I got it to my preferred listening level, it sounded very very good.
No excuses!

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,062
    Options
    Well there maybe some misconceptions about this. Just in general when a movie or music reproduction output is typically lower then others this could mean it's recorded with better dynamic range abilities. Have you noticed when things blow up or someone talks louder does it seem more natural?
    Since Best Buy is closed around here I can't just go out and pick it up.... Oh I didn't think of Walmart which is still open. I could go grab it there and check this out myself.
    I will be picking up the UHD 4k version, is this issue on the 4k version as well or just on the Blu Ray release?
    I'm gonna head over to blu ray.com and read about this. Thanks for the heads up man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    It's definitely not a dynamic range issue. Most movies I watch are in the 70-74 range on my receiver. Like I said...I had to go to 84 for this movie. It's way undercooked, but once I pushed the volume way up, it did sound quite good. Blu-ray.com did give it a 4.5 stars rating overall, but said you have to push the volume way up to get there.

No excuses!
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Disney has been doing this for their movies for a few years now and it is all over the net the complaints about it.
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    yup I think Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok also apparently suffered from this.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • mantis
    Options
    Walmart has only a few people in the store at a time rule going on and waiting in line for hours just doesn't make sense to just pick this up. I guess ordering online will have to do.
    I'm having a real hard time letting go of the past and realizing how this new world works, not just right now but moving forward.
    Dan
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    I pre ordered mine at the beginning of March when I found out about it. I got a steelbook from Best Buy and was only there for about ten minutes when I picked it up. Best Buy isn't allowing people in the store either.
  • mantis
    Options
    I pre ordered mine at the beginning of March when I found out about it. I got a steelbook from Best Buy and was only there for about ten minutes when I picked it up. Best Buy isn't allowing people in the store either.
    They hung in there as long as they could. They sell Appliances so they tried to use that loop hole as a way to keep their doors open.
    I love going to Best Buy and walking around looking at all the new Tech. Picking up a phone case, Movie etc. I'm trying to hang in there and not wig out with everything being closed , not working and just hanging around the house day by day.

Dan
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,136
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    They hung in there as long as they could. They sell Appliances so they tried to use that loop hole as a way to keep their doors open.
    I love going to Best Buy and walking around looking at all the new Tech. Picking up a phone case, Movie etc. I'm trying to hang in there and not wig out with everything being closed , not working and just hanging around the house day by day.

Try doing that with a rambunctious three year old...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson