Problem with center speaker

Options
mwilk17
mwilk17 Posts: 3
edited May 2004 in Troubleshooting
Whenever I use my center speaker (CS175i) and and turn the volume up, even to a moderate level, I get an 'overload' message on the receiver. I tried a different receiver and the same thing happened. I also tried new wires - no help.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the speaker?

The other speakers (2 front, 2 rear, sub-woofer) work fine.

Thanks.

Marc
Post edited by mwilk17 on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2004
    Options
    So is the speaker not working?

The overload just typically means you're trying to to get too much power out of your receiver...I doun't a center channel is going to overload your receiver unless there's a probelm with the speaker's wiring...

What other speakers are you using with the center?
  • mwilk17
    edited May 2004
    Options
    The center speaker works, but causes the receiver to overload. I have 2 center, 2 rear, and one sub-woofer. These do not cause a problem.

Marc
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hello Marc,
    Thanks for posting on the web site. It might be best to invest in a moderate priced Volt/Ohm meter (called a VOM). They can be found at most Radio Shacks for around $20.00 or so. It can be an extremely valuable test instrument. You would want to set the meter to the lowest resistance measurement setting. You'll have a red probe and a black probe, which you would want to place on the two wires leading to the center channel speaker. To do this go to the back of the receiver and remove the two connecting wires and place a probe on each wire. You should read somewhere around 4 or 5 Ohms on the meter. If you read "0" Ohms then there is a short, somewhere, and this is what the receiver is reacting to. The next step is to go to the rear of the speaker and remove the wires from the back of the speaker and place the probes into the speaker's terminals. Here again, you should read around 4 or 5 Ohms, if you read "0" Ohms then the speaker is the cause and would need to be serviced.
    Regards, Ken, Polk
  • mwilk17
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I tried it with 2 different receivers - the same thing happens.

Is it worth getting the speaker repaired?

Marc
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hello Marc,
    The best thing to do would be to send the center speaker to Polk Audio, 2550 Britannia Blvd., Suite A, San Diego, CA. 92154. Please include a short note giving us your name, address and a daytime telephone number. If you've owned the unit less than five years include a copy of your sales receipt. If it falls outside of the warranty period the service department will telephone you to talk over what the speaker needs.
    Regards, Ken