Definitive Technology 8080ST question

dromunds
dromunds Posts: 9,969
A buddy of mine has these DT 8080ST speakers and the right speaker has developed what he describes as a crackling, he says it reminds him of old-fashioned AM radio static. Only the right side speaker does this? Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Sounds like an amp.

I have a set of BP7006s where one amp is dead, and the others makes that static noise when bass notes hit. The woofer is fine. It's the amp on its last breath.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    Thanks Tony, I was wondering that. What’s the best solution?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I had taken my BP7006s amps out to see if I could see fuses or anything loose.

Man do these amps have a TON of microscopic circuit little black things with 10 pins coming out of each side. :o

I looked real close at everything and didn't see a thing wrong.

I called Def. Tech and they quoted me 175.00 an amp. I said I'd have to wait on that. The guy then said they could look at my amps for possible repairing. 100.00 for each amp and I'd have to, of course, send them to them at about 25 or 30 per amp.
    I told him that wouldn't be in the works for me then. That was back around Nov. 20th of last year.

Well looking around on the web I see a guy was quoted 90.00 an amp for my exact ones. And that quote came from Def. tech. to that guy. That was around the same time as I inquired. Well, I called them around Dec. 20th to ask about 90.00 for the other guy and 135.00 for me. I think the same guy answered and I told him what I needed again. He said he'd check. He came back on and said that they would be 135.00 each and that they were out of stock at that time. He said call back mid January. I said, ok.

There was no use bringing up the huge cost difference if they didn't even have any in stock, so that was that.

The last couple of weeks I've been thinking about getting new amps since I/we hit a BIG scratch-off win a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't even hardly get to the speakers until a couple of days ago and then tonight I made even more progress organizing my space out there.

Now it seems these speakers amps only last about 5 to 7 years or so in these Def. Techs. I've heard the ones I have ONLY by using a Def. Tech. 15" sub with them and they sounded DARN good. I might call Def. Tech. tomorrow and see if a human answers and inquire about the amps I need again.

I'll let you know if I do. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    Thanks, I appreciate it!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    The bp7006 has two boards for the amps, an input and output stage

The newer series use class d amps on the plate, much different.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Most likely the amps. Def Tech Towers are known for the built in amps to go bad. Most subs honestly even high end ones go bad. I see it all the time. I have a Velodyne DD 10 Plus pair and one of the Sub amps plays for about 15 minutes then starts to hum. My other one is perfectly fine.
    Also I'm a JL Audio dealer and I see their amps go from time to time. Even the Rack mount amps will fail over time.
    We have Triad Sub amps and they go all the time. To the point I would like to get them out. Sonance amps also go bad all the time. I hate them personally.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    On a side not the 8080 towers are impressive. I have Installed them many times and each time I walked away proud with a smile. Placement is a bit tricky with them but when you get it right man are they good. I like the looks of the 8080's over the newer 9080's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dromunds